Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chicken questions.

I have a dozen of so chickens on total free range they only use maybe a couple acres. As long as you have grasses, weeds and bugs in those woods your fine. Chickens will eat anything. Apparently they like spam too.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 06-22-2020 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by josha View Post
    I have a dozen of so chickens on total free range they only use maybe a couple acres. As long as you have grasses, weeds and bugs in those woods your fine. Chick ens will eat anything. Apparently they like spam too.
    they Love spam, Crash.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Spam flavored eggs! Yummmmmmm! My favorite.

Alan

someone recommended spam sushi. I said, heck yeah. I removed the seaweed, scraped away the rice and ate the spam. It was yummy.

I want chickens. Kelly's grandma told a hilarious story (when she was still kicking) about her sisters making her crawl under the porch to catch a chicken somebody didn't quite break it's neck. She caught it. Chopped it. and ate it.

Tough old lady.

I'll bet it wasn't so dang funny to the chicken. It's no doubt fixin' to sue. It's a foul story if ever I heard one. Have you had your neck rung? You might be entitled to compensation. We'll get you all the money you deserve not just a poultry sum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

When I was a kid we would kill 50-100 chickens at a time. Grandad would have three or four running around the yard headless at the same time.

I remember Mom wringing one's neck once and it started flapping. She gave it a toss and it flew 50 yards before it hit the ground!

Big tub of hot water and the smell of wet feathers. Pluck them, singe off the pin feathers with rolled up newspaper. Gut them and drop them in a plastic bag and tie it with a twist tie for the freezer. It was quite a ritual.

Then there would be a supper of livers, hearts and gizzards. I never did like chicken innards. Could not stand the mushy texture.

BTW, there has not been a cooked or raw chicken available at any store locally for more than a week. Frozen is still available but no fresh birds.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-06-2021 at 05:59 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

One of my dad's friends had chickens. We liked to go feed them. They were less stinky than the hogs. Not by much though. My little brother had a tough time with the killing. Dad's friend said, "You've watched them chickens kill and eat everything that moves. Imagine you're 1 inch tall and that chicken was 6 foot tall. You think it would hesitate to peck and eat you?". Whole new perspective.

I don't know what they're selling for chicken in stores. We call it pterodactyl. The breasts are huge and the meat is often rubbery. But, biologically, chickens aren't that far from dinosaurs anyway. Yes, they would happily eat you.

My father raised chickens for awhile but we didn't eat them. They were show chickens. (There's a pun there, somewhere.)
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I heard the store turkeys were to fat to .... They grow them just to eat. So much for the
    natural scheme of things.

I like fried turkey legs.

Rick, I am just like you, but opposite. I grab the spam sushi, push the spam out the middle and put in its place eel...Yummy

I am actually not a huge spam fan. I have eaten it, and I probably have a couple cans of low sodium/fat spam around here somewhere for emergency food, but I am not a lover. Not to mention as I have gotten older so have my dietary restrictions when it comes to fat and sodium. Even their lower fat and sodium spam is still too high in both.

I personally have never raised chickens. Down the hill from where I lived when I was a kid there was this old ex Army senior citizen that had laying hens and he would sell to all of us, eggs. He was one of the original Army engineers that worked on the nuclear bombs that were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Years later he was in the news for saving one of my relatives life from a Pitbull. Can't even begin to count in how many ways this guy was a hero.

Come to think of it, I never saw him eat chicken, but he did like spam.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael aka Mac View Post
    Rick, I am just like you, but opposite. I grab the spam sushi, push the spam out the middle and put in its place eel...Yummy

I am actually not a huge spam fan. I have eaten it, and I probably have a couple cans of low sodium/fat spam around here somewhere for emergency food, but I am not a lover. Not to mention as I have gotten older so have my dietary restrictions when it comes to fat and sodium. Even their lower fat and sodium spam is still too high in both.

I personally have never raised chickens. Down the hill from where I lived when I was a kid there was this old ex Army senior citizen that had laying hens and he would sell to all of us, eggs. He was one of the original Army engineers that worked on the nuclear bombs that were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Years later he was in the news for saving one of my relatives life from a Pitbull. Can't even begin to count in how many ways this guy was a hero.

Come to think of it, I never saw him eat chicken, but he did like spam.
    Maybe you should try fried SPAM, when you decide to eat it. I even go as far as eating fried SPAM along with fried cheese and scrambled eggs.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

Where we live, there are no chickens in our future because the bears, bobcats, coyotes and raccoons all love chicken.. :lool:

When I was a kid, we had chickens removing their heads makes cleaning them a lot easier.. When a hen quit laying, we had chewy chicken soup.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I gave up on chickens due to predators also.

I actually had a coyote run out of the fence row, grab a chicken about three meters from me, and run off the opposite side of the lawn with the thing still flapping its feathers. It was out of sight before I could get my pistol out of the holster!

I had a war with raccoons and coyotes for two years. I learned a lot about the new light vision, infrared scope and motion sensor technology in the process. Even that could not save the flock.

I had the motion sensor go off one night at 3am and scanned the coop at the bottom of the lot with the night vision scope. There were a half dozen raccoons on the chicken coop (the run had overhead wire), three coyotes waiting for them to figure out how to open the gate, and a possum creeping in from the other side.

I lost from about 3 dozen down to a single hen. I gave her away to a new raiser and wished them luck.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Well, Kentucky /is/ the center of the universe.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

kyratshooter,
    We wanted to have chickens; however, your and the experience of others convinced us it would be a war and a losing one.

Raccoons can be stupid as they ripped open a new bag of smoking pellets and ate them. That dry wood expanding in their stomach?
    Coyotes are smarter. We feed the birds who drop a lot of seed and field mice ate the seeds. Two coyotes came and they'd jump up and drop; next lower their head and start chewing. Now, doves come and eat the seed.