Thread: Appalachian Trail

Default Appalachian Trail

I just went to Hawk Rock at Dunncannon Pa. for a short hike and an over nighter just the other day. It was a really interesting night since we got about 6 inches of snow on the mountain.The temperature dropped to about 20 below making for a cold night. I was just wondering if anyone else have ever hiked Hawk Rock or any other part of the Appalachians and had any stories to tell about it. Also what is the best wood to use for a fire when everything is snow covered or where to find drier wood?

I live near it would love to hike it when Im older. Ive hiked parts in the NC and virginia mountains and it is beautiful. I think the southwest Virginia is the best part. I know a guy that hiked the whole thing from Georgia to Maine and back in a hennessy hammock. awesome. As for wood, You can slit dry wood from the inside of downed logs if you have an axe of big enough knife. Or just push down small trees that are still standing or get caught in other trees or use large dead branches. Hope you have some great days on the trail!

I met a couple through a mutual friend that have done the whole Appalachian Trail. In fact, that's how the couple met many years ago. http://www.storiesandevents.com/walasiYi.html Since then Susie has hiked all over the US and the world. When I met on the January 1st, she knew I was coming and I didn't know about her being there, our mutual friend had set this up , , she brought some of her books and maps to show me a few things. She said she was going to take me around to different spots and teach me some of her skills that she has picked up along the way.

As a side note, Susie spoke to Meredith Emerson and the sicko Gary Michael Hilton moments before she was attacked and murdered on Blood Mountain.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman View Post
    I live near it would love to hike it when Im older. Ive hiked parts in the NC and virginia mountains and it is beautiful. I think the southwest Virginia is the best part. I know a guy that hiked the whole thing from Georgia to Maine and back in a hennessy hammock. awesome. As for wood, You can slit dry wood from the inside of downed logs if you have an axe of big enough knife. Or just push down small trees that are still standing or get caught in other trees or use large dead branches. Hope you have some great days on the trail!
    I would love to hike the whole thing, it would be a blast. But unfortunatly i cant really up and leave my family for that amount of time....exspecially with my newborn son at home.. so i would advise you to go for it before you get married and have kids if you arn't/ dont already....it would be soo much easier to just get up and go haha

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. If you're interested in hiking the AT, read this book. I think you'll find it both informative and enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by RichNH View Post
    A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. If you're interested in hiking the AT, read this book. I think you'll find it both informative and enjoyable.
    Ok, yeah i'll check it out thanks