Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Your first choice?

Blog Entries

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    (can you imagine what your canoe would looik like)
    most canoes do have them... but in the bow and stern the most likly to get hit and damaged

Quote Originally Posted by tsitenha View Post
    Now I may be wrong but aren't built flotation devices required on watercrafts?
    (so that a boat would sink but only to a certain level?)
    When I was about five yrs old my father did hit a rock which madea rathe large gash and with 4 adults and 2 kids we only went as low as the gunnels, that was 50yrs ago in and old boat of that time.
    I don't think they are required but I can't imagine having a boat without them. Heck, if the boat doesn't come with one just put some of that expandable foam in a can into both ends of the boat and you're set to get back to land. I've run rapids in my more foolish days and torn big holes in my boats. They never sank, though some did become rather unique sculptures on the shoreline.

If the author really wants me to figure out what I'm going to eat (I need to be out longer than overnight before I panic about food), I'm in a lake, I'm walking the last few feet into shore. My feet will stir up the wapato tubers that grow in abundance here and they'll float to the surface. It doesn't matter what time of the year it is, they'll be there. A few of them cooked over the open fire and I've got supper.

In Wisconsin though I would have that beer in the boat too, as well as munchies for after I've drank the beer. I'm thinking that I would just enjoy a nice fire, watch the stars, and think I was the smartest person in the world (which often happens after a few beers).

shuck

every canoe I have owned has had floation in the bow and stren . in wi. to be drunk it is 0.08 car or boat but in canoe or kayak you can drink all you want just dont make a seen.
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

Im going to go with the wild edibles I can find by the lake. Since its late already and i am wet the least amount of energy I spend looking for food the better of I am.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...rn_.html?cat=3

The more you know the less you need.

To give my answer to the original question, I would make some tea out of pine needles to warm my body and get some vitamin C in me.

first rule to survival be prepared, most of us if not all should have a dry bag with survival gear, getting dry and warm would be first for me, liveing up north dont like to be wet and cold specially in winter the rest would be a walk in the park

I thought someone would try "using their waterproof mobile phone to order pizza, and ride back with the delivery guy"

Why food at all. Remeber the "Rules of Three's" here. Water is more important, esp. since I know I have only a short walk ahead.
    Using the term "Dead Head" I would guess it is in the south. Pick some palmetto hearts, ferns, etc. while you are resting around your fire and then stop off for some biscuits in the morning

What I do appreciate is that people on this forum are not afraid to express what they really think.
    Survival is not for the faint of heart