Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your first choice?

Paying attention to details is cool - that's why he got some of the initial responses that he did. He went on to clarify what he was looking for with
    all im trying to ask was what is your first choice when you are looking for food? I was just thinking of more creative way to say that.
    which is why he got the latter responses.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yup,and I assumed he meant in your local area,and here cattail grows around most bodies of water,and since some parts of the cattail are pretty startchy,it's a good way to get some quick energy without expending much more if you see it.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

well keep in mind he is new and we no nothing about age and experience, by his first post that is the way i answered, now his second post tells me that if i am out foraging what is my first picked food, my answer to that is what ever is around, i'm not going to pass up one thing to try and find another
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

he also said 400 meters from shore in any direction thats at least 800meters wide then thats open water and allot of swimming
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Wellllllll, he really didn't say it was 4:30 and close to dark, but rather
    You make it onto the shore and rest for a bit. It will take you 1/2 a day to walk to your rescue but it is already 4:30 and you dont want to walk through the dark.
    So if it takes half a day to walk to your rescue, then it could be getting dark and 9:00, which would be during the summer.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    Again, another scenario with limited information.
    What time of the year?

Is it cold, below 32 F?

Are you duck hunting in the cold, if so, you will die. Is it summer and hot, spring and cool, is the water cold enough to cause hypothermia? I dont duck hunt on a lake

If you are freezing cold and wet, and already suffering from hypothermia, try to make a fire
    Already said that
    Do you have life preservers? They are mandatory

When you were in the boat, what were you doing, fishing, going for a row, hunting, or just floating.
    Is it a river with an undertow?
    Cant be its a lake

Is it a lake? yes

How much energy did you use on the swim in.
    400m swim in street clothes
    I answered all the Questions in red without any additional info being added.

Blog Entries

I would probably take my clothes off and wring them out then put them back on. Rest for a bit, then start walking. After all its a lake, if I follow the shore I can't get lost in the dark. The walking will increase my body heat drying my clothes. I'm just not one to sit around waiting for a rescue that might come if I can get myself out. Food would be the last thing on my mind!
    Last edited by klkak; 01-11-2009 at 03:50 PM.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Blog Entries

The try to make a fire comment was scarcastic. Have you ever tried to make a fire while wet, cold, and shivering. Hands don't work all that well.

Well, assuming that I made it to shore and I was not yet nekked, take off all my clothes and wrap myself in my wool blanky. My wet wool blanket will keep me warm. At that point, I guess I will start hoofing it until I can get a bar or..................

400m swim, many may drown if they try it fully clothed with shoes on.

But hey, it's your scenario, really does not matter what I would do, what would you do.

Alot depends on the water temp, a river with undertow, you may make it to the shore and be completely whipped. Unless you are in good shape. If the water is too cold, it changes your whole scenario.

I'm thinking, since I grew up in NJ swimming in the Deleware, 400 m, wow. You may start swimming and depending if there is a tide like the Del., you may end up a mile or two from where you want to be. That's if you make it by swimming with the current, if you fight the current, you're dead.
    Last edited by FVR; 01-11-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    The try to make a fire comment was scarcastic. Have you ever tried to make a fire while wet, cold, and shivering. Hands don't work all that well.

Well, assuming that I made it to shore and I was not yet nekked, take off all my clothes and wrap myself in my wool blanky. My wet wool blanket will keep me warm. At that point, I guess I will start hoofing it until I can get a bar or..................

400m swim, many may drown if they try it fully clothed with shoes on.

But hey, it's your scenario, really does not matter what I would do, what would you do.

Alot depends on the water temp, a river with undertow, you may make it to the shore and be completely whipped. Unless you are in good shape. If the water is too cold, it changes your whole scenario.

I'm thinking, since I grew up in NJ swimming in the Deleware, 400 m, wow. You may start swimming and depending if there is a tide like the Del., you may end up a mile or two from where you want to be. That's if you make it by swimming with the current, if you fight the current, you're dead.
    Most of my boating is done in Prince William Sound in the winter (normal winter water temp is 34 - 37* F). So if I found myself in the water 400 meters from shore I think I would just drown myself to save me the suffering. Even if I was in a survival suite, the chances of making it to shore are slim and none. I wear a life jacket while on the boat out there but it is in case I slip off the bow while jumping to shore or back to the boat.

This pic is me with what I typically wear while trapping. If I wear a coat, I wear it over the life jacket.

In the pockets of the life jacket I have:
    1 Coastguard wistle
    1 Laser flare
    1 really good fire starting kit

Else where on my person I have:
    1 leatherman supertool 2000
    1 3 wat led flashlight
    1 Benchmade 2 3/4" folder
    1 S&W 629 worn cross draw on my belt left side w/ 18 extra rnds
    1 Wetterlings wildlife hatchet
    Last edited by klkak; 02-27-2009 at 12:49 PM.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Blog Entries

Klkak,

I use to duckhunt the Del. river in late Dec. and Jan. and the Ches. in Md in my younger years. 400m, I'd have died, water that cold, all the clothes. If I did get to shore I'd probably by past spent and have to very lucky.

I've spent many a night and day in the Pacific swimming and doing ops in the USMC. 400m may not sound like much, but depending on conditions, it could be a death swim.

Pacific, Jan. night operations, 1 mile off shore, by the time you reach the beach and have to make the assault, it was hard and we were all in top shape.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the scenario in my case would be a bit different because I always have a drysuit with me, plus a complete set of extra clothing and hiking boots in a dry bag, and food for 3 days. So I would not be wet, I'd be well-fed and have no trouble hiking home.
    Generally in the north, it's the under-equipped people who need to bailed out. Certainly, when out in the back country with a vehicle, boat or otherwise, there can be no excuse for not bringing the gear to save your own azz.
    Actions speak louder than words

If Sir Grills is going, there would be room service....
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Only 400 m to shore? He is my plan. Bamm hit something boat is going down. Me oh no the boat is sinking. Grab my bag of chips throw it in the cooler with what is left of the beer and bologna. I better put my cigs and lighter in there to or they will get wet. Grab the fillet knife throw it in. Lay on cooler paddle to shore. Open beer light cig, holy cow that sucks. I think I build a fire drink the rest of this beer, eat my chips and bologna and walk out tomorrow.

You take beer when you're out hunting RiM?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

I'll go with author's intent, but couch that getting dry is priority one, shelter is priority two, and there's a chance starting a fire is necessary for priority one (usually priority two). Getting food is well down the list, however, since that was the intent of the questions, I'd drop a few lines with baited hooks if I had them with me while going out to forage for some food. I'd focus on what I know, which in Colorado in high mountain lakes is going to be cattail roots, dandilions, canadian thistle, wild raspberries, wild strawberries, pine nuts, and maybe some spruce needle tea to warm me up.

From my luck, 95% of the time I'll come back to empty fishing lines after an hour of foraging and the odds of getting something in a snare in short order is far worse than that (at least in my limited attempts). Being able to identify edible plants in your area is an invaluable tool for summer outdoor activities. I'd like to learn more plants that are out there, but don't really hang with folks that have the experience to share.

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    You take beer when you're out hunting RiM?
    The OP said nothing of hunting. I assume I was enjoying a afternoon of fishing. In which case. I am sure there would be some of the following on board along with fish. Cooler, Cigs and lighter, Beer, and some ring balogna or venison sausage, and some chips. I am sure there other things but knowing I only have 1/2 day hike to help, well screw everything else I am going to make sure I at least enjoy what I have left. Why do I need flairs when I clearly know exactly where I am and know where I need to go in the a.m.. It wouldn't be the first ti me I said screw it I think I will stay out all night. The part about losing the boat and having to pay to have it brought out of the water by salvage sucks. The thought of spending the night on the beach by a fire with everything listed above is pretty cool in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by ryaninmichigan View Post
    The OP said nothing of hunting.
    You are right, sir. I stand corrected.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Ya one guy threw in duck hunting somewhere... ryaninmichigan you carry all that stuff every time you are in a boat? why a fillet knife? and can you even drink in a boat? well you can i guess but thats pretty close to being illegal....

Blog Entries

That was me, I asked if you were duck hunting. Basically, what the he ll were you doing on the water.

Your scenario is a little like, I'm walking down the street and trip and fall on my face, how do I get up? What made you trip? did you get hurt during the fall?

Next time, put us in a real situation. Tell us what you were doing, where you were going, what the weather was like, etc. Or maybe you are the type of person who just does things on a whim and ends up dead in the end.

I would expect your next thread topic to be, "what's the best survival knife?"

A fillet knife is to bleed fish. Drinking? Nothing illegal to have a beer or two. Driving a boat drunk is not legal or a good idea. But most people assume when you say drinking you mean doing keg stands. a beer or three does not make a drunk person...