Thread: Bedding...

Default Bedding...

Okay, so when I take the family back to Potter County next month, we will be spending FOUR nights out in the woods. While we CAN bring air beds and manual pumps...I really don't want to because I would like to have the room to bring my dog this time. The problem is that hubby has a very bad hip/back that he is currently in therapy for. While he can sleep on the ground on our bed roles that we have for back-packing...4 nights can really hurt ANYONE after a while.

We will be able to get up there by mid-day this time, and have more than 30 min. of light to set up...so do any of y'all have a recommendation of a good, safe material to use under the tarp that will give a bit more cushion under the bed-roles?

I expect that I will need to take the tent down and hang it to dry by the second night, so if I have to replenish whatever I use, that won't be a problem either.

Thanks for any guidance!
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Look for a military Therm-a-rest self inflating sleeping pad. You can get them all day long on eBay for $30. I have two used ones and it makes a world of difference in the morning. I also have a short version (thanks Phil!) and it's the berries too if you are hiking. It's just a shorter version of the big guy.

http://www.bradleyssurplus.com/produ...t-sleeping-mat
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Look for a military Therm-a-rest self inflating sleeping pad. You can get them all day long on eBay for $30. I have two used ones and it makes a world of difference in the morning. I also have a short version (thanks Phil!) and it's the berries too if you are hiking. It's just a shorter version of the big guy.

http://www.bradleyssurplus.com/produ...t-sleeping-mat
    +1 on these! I use LL bean's version of these and love it. They are light and take up little room.

Edit: I should have checked the link Rick provided before I called Bean's a version of this. Theirs is more of a bed roll that inflates.
    Last edited by Camp10; 06-15-2010 at 05:35 PM.

I have back problems also. Air mattress is the way to go. I have spent big money on ultra light versions that take little space but found cheap ones are just as light and better (none of those fancy valves you have to hold just right). I have one made by Cascade I like. When traveling light I use a hammock but depending on his problem may not be able to use one.

I agree, that an air mattress would be best...I just worry about having the space and the time to pump it up. There's not electricity where we're going. The hammock won't work for him though...his pain is in his lower back and radiates down his leg, so a hammock would press his hips together and all his weight would be in his pain area. I may have to rethink the air matters if I have to.

I was looking for another one of those self inflating bed roles, Rick! I couldn't find one that didn't cost a fortune! I got 2 last year and LOVE them...I needed one more for my son. They work well...but I think I may need to build up some local leaves or something UNDER the tent and tarp to soften the ground for him a little more.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

- Thomas Jefferson

Like rick said. I've had mine for 5 years and get a patch kit.

You did say however you were looking of a bedding material as in something you gather when you get there???? Yes???

Pine needles?? I've gathered pine needles in a layer under my ground cloth to give more comfort to a rough uneven ground. It helps quite a bit. Is this the kind of thing you were looking for?
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

You don't pump it up. It's self inflating. You screw open the valve, the pad inflates, you close the valve. That's it. When it comes time to pack up you just open the valve, roll up the pad, close the valve and you're on your way.

If you want it a little over inflated you can put a couple of puffs of air in it and close the valve. But's that all you need is a couple of puffs. They really don't recommend that you do that because the moisture in your breath can affect the foam but mine are used and I like the firmer pad. (shrug)

EDIT: Oops, I misread your post. Oh well, the over inflate info is good.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    Like rick said. I've had mine for 5 years and get a patch kit.

You did say however you were looking of a bedding material as in something you gather when you get there???? Yes???

Pine needles?? I've gathered pine needles in a layer under my ground cloth to give more comfort to a rough uneven ground. It helps quite a bit. Is this the kind of thing you were looking for?
    Thanks!! Pine needles work well, huh? I'm pretty sure there were a lot out there! I'll give that a shot!

Yeah, Rick...I've got 2 of the coleman Max ones. Not too bad...but still a bit bumpy. I HATE the inflatable pillow. Ugh. Won't use it. Just keep it deflated. LOL!
    Thanks for the puff thing though. It took too long to inflate it's self last weekend...and I puffed in a couple thinking that may help. Thanks for the heads up on it though.
    - St. Augustine

- Thomas Jefferson

As far as the air mattress goes for pumping it up; have you looked at an electric pump? I have one that came with my queen air mattress on a frame I use in my wall tent. It is only a little larger than the 4 C batteries it uses, fits in your palm, and pumps up my queen bed pretty quick. I don't think I have replaced the batteries since I got it 2 years ago. It is also reversible and can be used to really get all the air out and save some space. Just a thought to save space and time with keeping some comfort.

Have fun on your trip
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Trabitha, I should be specific in that long pine needles work best because they have a bit of a spring in then whem piled about 4" thick. I was in North WI in a pine forest so the needles carpeted the ground. It was easy to gather enough for a mattress. Watch out for pine cones and sticks they need to be removed. Short needles are usually stiff and don't work well.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with gryff and woodsman. The battery operated pumps are small and work really well. Use pine straw under the tent floor for extra bounce. Personally, I sleep on the ground, but my dad uses an air mattress and his battery pump works pretty good.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Kill two birds with one stone and have him sleep on the dog! J/K

The self inflating mattresses work very well compared to sleeping on the hard ground, but I still wake up a little sore for the first day. But by the second or third night, I am sleeping through and feeling good in the morning. Have fun!
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien