Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: one of my latest

Default one of my latest

this bow needs refinishing, but it's pretty much done.

it is an american white ash selfbow. it's 60" nock to nock, with 4" static tip overlays and a riser 8 1/2" fade to fade. the riser and overlays are oak. it draws around 60lb @ 26", but it's been tillered two inches past for safety.

i've been shooting it a few months now and it's taken almost 2" of set, but it's a good preformer and i can live with it. the outer limbs are a bit overbuild i think, but handshock is minimal.

i recently bought some putpleheart, paduk and some more ash, so i'll be starting a few new ones soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Very nice work.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Beutiful work Canid.
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

Beauty. Very nice. i'm lookin for a bowmaker in my area to make me one. I'm not good at getting 2 sides the same. lol. I have a compound, but its just not very traditional ya know?

my very latest, a christmas gift for a friend's 8 year old son:

red oak self longbow with white oak riser and nock re-enforcements. 20lb @24", tillered a few inches past for safety and to allow for his growth over the next couple years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Great work canid!!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

yeah, compounds are fun, but they just don't have the same spirit as a stick that's 9/10s broken

WOW! That's a sweet bow! Did you laminate with epoxy?
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

Very nice work, Truley a brother of the bow.

no lamination, just selfbow sealed and stained with minwax polyshades, 90% golden pecan / 10% red oak. i'll probably give it several coats of clear hard finish, but i've noticed spar tends to crack on bows with a high draw to length ratio [there is only 43.5" of working area in the bow].

Very nice!

as you might see, i've come to throw much of the conventional bowyery wisdom ot the window on many of my bows.

That is awsome, great work.

great job. Looks like one you could buy

nice bows what is the draw weight of the firt one
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

about 60lb at 26 inches of draw. it's a little rocket. as shorter bows tend to it stacks a bit though.
    Last edited by canid; 01-09-2009 at 04:23 PM.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very Nice work Candid!

I ordered a piece of Hickory a little over a year ago, a wedge with bark on one side and the ends painted. I kept it inside but I don't know if it's still good for making a bow. If any of you can give me some idea I would appreciate it. Thanks!
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

examine the stave for checks and splits. if it's been kept indoors and your house is relatively dry, an end-sealed stave will only continue to dry and season indoors.

if there are checks or splits, that will of course affect how you must lay the bow out.

even if your house is damp [mine is in the winter] or if the humidity fluctuates a lot, the sealed ends protect the wood from gaining or loosing moisture quickly, and that is a large contributor to checking and splitting.

even if it's taken on or held in much moisture [unlikely]; as long as it's not a lot, it won't have hurt the stave.

another consideration of storage is bugs. sometimes larvae of weevils, beetles, wasps, etc come in with the wood and continue eating into it during storage or seasoning. when this happens, unless the wood dosen't dry out at all, the damage is usually minimal, and the holes aren't bored deep.
    Last edited by canid; 01-09-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Canid, Like the bows. Throwing the bowyer wisdom out the window is a great idea. I think so many bowyers get stuck trying to replicate what's already been made and the end result is just another bow.

2" of set, not bad. I've always said that set is not all bad.

Let's see pics of the hickory stave. Nothing like a good ol piece of hickory.

Canid that is amazing work on your part. You truly have a gift there.
    Jesus is my king.