Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survival films.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked the movie the Edge. IMO, it depicts two of the men as being totally out of their element and a third is trying to adapt by utilizing theory of survival, he has no real experience in the outdoors he is only book smart. In the end the will to survive proves most valuable. The movie has some great one line quotes, I especially like the "What one man can do, another man can do".

The movie is not a how-to movie but is entertaining and can make a novice outdoorsman think about how things can go bad.
    Last edited by pgvoutdoors; 08-29-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Just recently saw an oldie (1962, Ray Milland!) I wasn't even aware of:
    "Panic In Year Zero" -- LA family flees their home just before the city is hit by a hydrogen bomb. Doesn't take long for people's true nature to surface at first signs of adversity.
    It's refreshing to see a movie once in a while without all the special effects, quick cuts and ramboism.

Blog Entries

Cool Survival: The Early Years!

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Just recently saw an oldie (1962, Ray Milland!) I wasn't even aware of:
    "Panic In Year Zero" -- LA family flees their home just before the city is hit by a hydrogen bomb. Doesn't take long for people's true nature to surface at first signs of adversity.
    It's refreshing to see a movie once in a while without all the special effects, quick cuts and ramboism.
    There were several of these movies made, if you ever get the chance check out "The World, The Flesh, & The Devil" starring Harry Belefonte!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

The edge is a good movie, there are also a lot of older movies of survival in the wild, and as Benesse says the movie Panic in year zero was a good movie. SEMPER FI. MY FRIENDS.

I just got a DVD of The Omega Man. I remembered that movie giving me nightmares as a kid.
    But, watching it now, even though the movie is pretty bad, all the little survival things Neville is shown doing was just so right.
    Right down to filling the roof fed gravity water system, his stores of canned goods, and the piles of storage in his garage.
    Of course, one should be so lucky that 98% of the world population keels over dead before they can ravage the stuff on the store helves.
    If you want to consider that lucky...

Funny thing, I was actually recently thinking of an elevated holding tank to hold roof water for my garden. Several years now of no rain in July/August is a trend I have to deal with next year.

I like The Omega Man. Heston did a good job in it. My life's ambition is to be the guy that holds the only known antidote for whatever is killing the rest of the world. My luck I'd drop it and break the syringe.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Not really a film but a tv series. Just started watching it pretty sure its a few years old. Surviving Disaster. A How-To survive or atleast increase odds of survival from things to avalanches to home invasions and so on. There's some nifty ideas on there.

"War of the Roses"..............I still have nightmares!

Thanks,Bob

Defiance. Based on a true story. Here's the wiki write up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defiance_%282008_film%29
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Jeremiah Johnson is a faverate of mine.
    Please help me out here. There was a movie i saw years ago about an older man who goes out into the wilderness to die and meet's a young kid whose parent's died in a plane crash. he teaches him to survive as they trek about. i cant think of the name but would like to see the movie again.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

I think i found the movie you were talking about Hunter. The Earthling

google The Earthling Wiki Pretty much sounds like it to me. Sounds good though.

Blog Entries

Cool Also....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I like The Omega Man. Heston did a good job in it. My life's ambition is to be the guy that holds the only known antidote for whatever is killing the rest of the world. My luck I'd drop it and break the syringe.
    "The Omega Man" was a remake of an earlier film; "The Last Man on Earth," starring Vincent Price. Later Will Smith re-created it with "I Am Legend."

Also, like Crash i enjoyed "Defiance." I liked it so well I bought the DVD.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

In my head? Well I live on some enriched farm beyond the suns horizon.Yet reality speaks for itself.

Default Survival Movies

How do you guys feel about survival movies? Accurate wise, along with enjoyment. Which is your personal favorite?

The Grey is the most resent one I can think of. (There seem to be many reasons why the wolves were pursuing them in that movie. Starvation seemed to draw them in mostly when seeing the survivors.
    I see humanity now as one vast plant, needing for its highest fulfillment only love, the natural blessings of the great outdoors, and intelligent crossing and selection.
    -Luther Burbank

---------------------------
    There are so many questions in life, I guess i'm here so others can answer my own.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you had to ask...

Quote Originally Posted by SunforTwo View Post
    How do you guys feel about survival movies? Accurate wise, along with enjoyment.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...urvival+movies

SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SunforTwo View Post
    The Grey is the most resent one I can think of. (There seem to be many reasons why the wolves were pursuing them in that movie. Starvation seemed to draw them in mostly when seeing the survivors.
    Yeah, and what a whole load of crapola that is! A common problem with "survival movies" and books - they're as much based in reality as The Lord of the Rings; unfortunately many city slickers watching or reading that stuff lap it up as fact.

This is something I wrote about the topic, triggered by that particular movie:

The wolves are out to get you. I know, it surprised me too, but that's the premise of “The Grey”, coming to movie theatres all over North America. A plane crashes in the frozen North, and the survivors battle the forbidding elements – and wolves.
    Northerners will roll their eyes at this, knowing that out in the communities, wolves may eat dogs if they are left tied up outside like take-out food or running around unsupervised. But the danger nipping at our heels out in the backcountry does not come from ravenous wolf packs, even and especially if you've just survived a plane crash. It's a lot more insidious and subversive than that, something we cannot escape because we carry it inside ourselves: wrong decision making.
    Such as heading out without an extra set of clothes and high-energy food. Not bringing along snowshoes for a snowmobile ride and getting miserably stuck in the middle of nowhere when the machine quits. Leaving the compass, GPS, and first aid kit at home, but no itinerary with a responsible person. Overestimating ourselves. And on and on.
    Now, of course movies are meant to entertain and thrill, and many if not most have only a feeble grasp on reality. What I dislike about this one is its propagation of the myth that wolf packs hunt, kill and eat humans, particularly in the light of wolf control programs that already play on people's emotions. It is very unfortunate when a potential blockbuster comes down on the “wolves are out to get you” side of the issue.

What is this fascination Southerners have with “the dangerous wilderness”? I'd really love to see the tables turned. How about the harrowing tale of Backwoods Joe, a stereotypical Yukoner, getting stranded in Toronto? Joe, clad in felt-lined rubber boots, stained jeans and his ancient duct-taped jacket, must fight for survival on the traffic and people-choked streets of the city.
    The odds are stacked against him. Right away, security guards shove him out of the airport, accusing him of panhandling. Grateful not to have been tasered, Joe goes looking for help. But people hasten by with grim looks on their faces, nobody looking, waving, or smiling at him. This can only mean one thing: they are out to get him.
    Scared for his life, Joe crosses the street to head northwest, to make his way home on foot if need be. A minivan barrels down on him, intent on peeling at least four layers of skin off him. Rubber still smokes on the street as Joe manages to stagger up to some trees, gasping in shock. But the blood thirst of city people does not stop in parks. Before he knows it, two yapping dogs the size of gophers sink their teeth into his gumboots, while their unconcerned owners nurse five-dollar cups of coffee.
    Having barely shaken off the attack dogs, Joe is accosted by a crazy-eyed drug addict, demanding money without offering to load Joe's groceries into his car. Not that he has groceries or his rusty pickup with him in this desperate pit of hell. Fishing out a nickle, a toonie and a wad of Canadian Tire money, Joe throws his cash at the guy and runs for his life.
    Nighttime offers a reprieve as our hero builds a cozy lean-to in a remote corner of the park, snaring a squirrel for dinner with the shoelaces from the top of his gumboots. Racked with a smog-induced cough, he falls into an uneasy sleep. The next morning finds him ducking throngs of suits, talking into their palms and space. Narrowly escaping the stomping steps of this army of zombies, Joe fears he might be hallucinating when he sees a ravenhaired woman in well-worn clothes at a street corner.
    Could it be...? And indeed, it is – a fellow Yukoner. The two immediately narrow down the field of common acquaintances to thirty-five, fall in love, and by combining their survival skills, manage to make their successful get-away from Toronto. The movie ends with Joe and his lady happily settled in a Yukon log cabin, listening to the howling of wolves while the northern lights play in the skies.
    Now that's a movie I'd love to watch.
    Actions speak louder than words

Yeah, I don't like cities much either....good peek from the other side.

For the OP....Movies are meant to entertain and not to be teaching tools......That's why they have all the disclaimers, watch them enjoy them, and take anything you see with the nessessary amout of "grains of salt".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I think I will give my 2 cents.

Death Hunt, Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin

Top ten movie for me.

Blog Entries

I'm merging this thread with the "Survival Films" thread.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Yeah, I don't like cities much either....good peek from the other side.

For the OP....Movies are meant to entertain and not to be teaching tools......That's why they have all the disclaimers, watch them enjoy them, and take anything you see with the nessessary amout of "grains of salt".
    Maybe we'll see Bear Grylls in one where he fights off bears, drinks urine, squeezes poop, does push-ups naked in the snow...oh wait...he's already done all of that.

Wild Woman I agree on "The Grey," although I did like Liam Neeson's acting in the film. I do, however, theink that they've confused wolves with "werewolves!"
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.