Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you need a license for a .22 in ontario?

Default do you need a license for a .22 in ontario?

or even canada...

I believe,but I could be wrong and some of our Canadian members can correct me,that you must have a license to own any type of a firearm in Canada.
    Last edited by nell67; 01-08-2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

bull****!.. is there any 600+fps .177 cal guns? which are airguns

artofwoc, I will attempt to answer your question.

You need to take and pass an PAL (Possession Acquisition License) course to own, borrow any firearm that is classified as such by the Canadian Govt. Also if you intend to hunt a provincial hunter's license is needed. Now these licenses and PAL come about with age stipulations and with provincial hunting regulation. You can as a minor in the hunter apprentiship program hunt and under direct supervision hunt and shoot with an approved mentor who is also appropriately licensed.

A PAL is needed for:

A .22 or .177 pellet rifle or pistol that has the velocity of greater than 495 FPS (feet per second) which there are many. There are many pellet firearms that have a lower velocity but most stores will require an adult to purchase them with appropriate licenses

any fiream capable of fireing a rimfire cartridge

any firearm capable of fireing a centerfire cartridge

any black powder pistol or rifle whether traditional or inline that uses a "cap" or 209 primer.

The actual law/regulation is more complicated that this but this the gist of it.
    Also there are many levels of firearm types in Canada:
    non-restricted, restricted, prohibited
    most long guns (rifles, shotguns, muzzle loaders) fall under the non-restricted section
    and most pistol and some rifles fall under the restricted part
    for the present you do not qualify for the prohibited catagory.
    Last edited by tsitenha; 01-08-2009 at 11:57 AM.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

and that was a very well framed answer
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

Quote Originally Posted by artofwoc View Post
    bull****!.. is there any 600+fps .177 cal guns? which are airguns
    I'm sorry, you asked a question and we answered, now you're telling us we're wrong? OR am I misunderstanding your post?

i though you could not own a pistol in canada.
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

Most pistols fall under the restricted category skunkkiller, if they're under...I think...4 1/2 barrel length they're prohibited. Even as a restricted weapon though, the laws governing the restrictions are so stifling that it's barely worth the trouble of owning one.

Here's a for instance....I take my handgun (locked in a case and disabled, bullets and magazine stored seperately), go to a recognized range and target practice for an hour or whatever, make sure the firearm is locked up according to regulations and drive home. On the way home I stop for gas....I just broke the ****!!! law, because you have to transport a restricted firearm from point A to point B without any stops. Brilliant huh? The beauty of it all is that gun-related crimes, sadly, or on the rise in Canada, so our genius legislation is working for no one.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Cool Yo Art!

1st, you never did do an intro so nobody really knows how to answer you, next, & this is the only warning I'm going to give you; knock off the flaming; if you don't like the answers, don't ask the questions. Clear?
    Last edited by Sarge47; 01-08-2009 at 03:19 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Thank you Sarge, that was very curmudgeonly of you

Canadian Law is less than 4" it is prohibited, unless you have the grandfather clause in your file (have had a pistol with a barrel less than 4",before the last qualifying date per the last gun control bill)
    It gets complicated and confusing at best.....
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,

Quote Originally Posted by tsitenha View Post
    Canadian Law is less than 4" it is prohibited, unless you have the grandfather clause in your file (have had a pistol with a barrel less than 4",before the last qualifying date per the last gun control bill)
    It gets complicated and confusing at best.....
    Yet short barreled rifles (SBR's) are prefectly legal? Strange laws.

thank for clearring that for me i know my grandfather went to akaska and went though canada they put a lock on his pistol at the border and it better be there when he got to the other end. but that was a long time ago.
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

yeah our laws are kinda iffy. Yet to pass the federal hunters safety exam, its super easy. Really easy. Just growing up around a hunter allowed me to pass the federal exam, without any studying. lol.

No such thing a a federal hunters license, except for migratory birds, all other hunting licenses are regulated by either a province or a territory. Only the PAL is federaly administered and that is also in compliance with some provincial regs: such as the apprenticeship program or aboriginal rights.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,

yeah, what I meant was, in order to get your hunters safety, you need to pass 2 exams. A provincial and a federal. Thats what I was reffering to, sorry for the confusion.

Have noticed that if you have a flintlock - you're home free. By law (in Canada) - every flintlock, no matter how new, is considered to be an antique.

Canadian law is very strange. When Czechoslovakia was considered an "enemy nation," a friend with an import license studied Canadian/American import laws and was able, through a legal loop hole, to go up to a gun shop in Thunder Bay, Ontario, buy CZ-75s (then unavailable in the US and very hard for the gun shop to sell to locals) and bring them back to the US. He always figured on it taking several hours to get back into the US, but he had all his ducks in a row and he always made it back with his merchandise. He was pretty unpopular with customs officials on both sides of the border who figured there must, MUST, be something illegal about his transactions.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Thats funny.

Thats why I didn't mention it in that post, he has no need.......
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,