Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puffballs

young survivalist

so gryffyn is the new mom of this forum? . . . CANID IS EATING THE MUSHROOMS!!!
    some people like Bear Grylls. others like Les Stroud. well you know what. i like Jerimiah Johnson

In that case... Go to your room now or you will never get your bow back.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

young survivalist

ha. ok then i have three new staves in my room. . . (which is good because i broke my bow)
    some people like Bear Grylls. others like Les Stroud. well you know what. i like Jerimiah Johnson

That too bad. Sweep up the shavings or no supper.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Quote Originally Posted by smittysurvival View Post
    so gryffyn is the new mom of this forum? . . . CANID IS EATING THE MUSHROOMS!!!
    don't change the subject by tattling...
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

young survivalist

oh i do love supper. . . how bout i show you Canids stash and then ill clean up the shaving and i get both our supper. (canid, dont tell him about hole in the wall bc i will bring you down with me)

Quote Originally Posted by Milfoil View Post
    I know here on the site it states that puffballs have no medicinal value but they certainly used to. Here in the UK, the old, leathery ones (full of dark brown, dry spores) were strung up by the forge where they would keep dry. If someone cut themselves, a puff of the spores soon staunched the bleeding, aided clotting and seemed to keep infection at bay.

The ones we used here were about the size of your fist, smooth but leathery to look at when fully mature. Not particularly tasty when white but not bad, better battered or cooked in a stew rather than on their own.
    I've seen it used to stop bleeding too, packed into a poultice...
    We have a lot of puffballs out here. ( for those who also have periwinkle, it works to stop bleeding too.)
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Milfoil View Post
    I know here on the site it states that puffballs have no medicinal value but they certainly used to. Here in the UK, the old, leathery ones (full of dark brown, dry spores) were strung up by the forge where they would keep dry. If someone cut themselves, a puff of the spores soon staunched the bleeding, aided clotting and seemed to keep infection at bay..
    I recently learned that there is a lot of Kaolin (white) clay in the "mountain" range just north of me. According to the Wiki article about the stuff, In April 2008, the US Naval Medical Research Center announced the successful use of a Kaolinite-derived aluminosilicate nanoparticle infusion in traditional gauze, known commercially as QuikClot Combat Gauze. I'm guessing that a fine powder scraped from or separated with water, dried and powdered and added to a dressing would be beneficial. or buy QuikClot...
    Last edited by neondog; 03-04-2010 at 01:19 AM.
    That which you sew, so shall ye reap.
    United States Blowgun Association

QuikClot has been around a lot longer than that. And I wouldn't add the raw powder to a wound either. There are a lot of other items contain in the rock like bacteria and viruses.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.