Thread: Newbie from Ontario...lb

Smile Newbie from Ontario...lb

Howdy folks, I live in Ottawa, just a hop skip and a jump from the Ottawa River and I spend many hours outdoors in the course of a year. Ever since I was four or five, I've had a love affair goin' on with outdoorsy stuff and nature in general. In my teens I tested out my bush skills under many types of conditions and in many different locals constantly. The idea was to be able to make do with what you have at hand, where ever you find yourself. Shelters were always a priority with me. If they weren't done right they could put a real damper on your stay. Food, was only thought about after a good shelter had been completed and a campsite made ready for the coming night. One of my favorite nutrition things to take with me, was a simple little can of Sardines and some crackers to go with 'em. Out in the boonies with night fast approaching and my camp secure, those slippery little fish tasted mighty good and went a long ways towards providing the fuel for warming my innards, for the cool coming night air.

There is something VERY powerful about doing everything yourself in the bush and it has a way of building character that way too many inner-city kids will never attain. I believe that ALL schools should have Outdoorsy/Survival classes as part of their teaching system. Kids need to know how wonderful things are out there in the do-it-yourself, real world, once they've got a clue about some of this kool bush stuff, to start them off.

Where are some of you from?

lb

Welcome to the board.

I know what you mean, LarryB. I practice bushcraft at home in the backyard and out in the woods here in Mississippi (southern USA).

Built a small smoker in the backyard to learn how to hot and cold smoke fish and lean meat a month back. When I get a load of dried oak, I'm going to hot smoke some catfish for eating that day and cold smoke (preserve by drying out completely) some perch or bass. That takes about a week to do the cold smoking, so that will happen when I am on vacation later on this year.
    With Christ, all things are possible.

Wow, that sounds like it would be something good to eat, even when you are not in the wilderness. Smoked fish, yum.

Cool Thanx Bowcatz...

Thanx for the welcome Bowcatz! I see you are into fishing too. Good move. I've cold smoked some Walleyes and 2 Partridge a few years back, over a bunch of wood chips from an old apple tree we felled the year before. Man, was that stuff good!

Hope to see ya around the forum...

lb

how ya doing and anyways im still in school and they sometimes teach us useless classes so outdoorsy stuff would be nice in school since i love it

Cool A newbie gathering... :-)

Howdy there, TheEdge! Makes my heart pump a bit faster seeing a young fella like yourself gettin' into this kool Survival/Bushcraft stuff! If you are serious about gettin' GOOD at it, you'll have to cut way back on Video Games, parties, and hangin' with fools and tools. Try to hook-up with one (or two max) other buddy who also has the spirit of adventure in them. Everything is WAY easier when you and your bush bud can work on projects together. It can all be done alone though too, if you've got a strong will and are fairly determined to get better at your chosen skills. That's how I got started a few decades ago. It was real hard, even back then, to find kids that were interested in Mother Nature or Earth Mother, so I hope YOU can find someone to grow with. Maybe you have a cousin if none of your school pals can be rounded up for this adventure stuff!

Dude, have you ever asked them if they would consider teachin' Survival Stuff at yer school? Might be worth a try??? Actually, you'll be better off in here little buddy, reading and learning ALL about whatever it is you want to go for. It's ALL, very interactive here! There are MANY experts in here Edgebuddy, and they ALL love to share the talents they have acquired, right here on this very excellent forum. THIS is about the best education spot for you right now, school has many, many shortcomings and I know they don't care about what's real or what really matters, IMHO. Been there, done that and moved on...to the boonies, smilin'

Lookin' forward to seeing your posts on here my new friend...

lb