Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Bear Stopper?

Real bear attack. Spray would have done nothing in this case.
    http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=LZnsL7...eature=related
    Remember Remember the fifth of November
    The gunpowder treason and plot
    I know of no reason why gunpowder treason
    should ever be forgot......

Guy Fawkes 1605

Thanks for the link ricc9,how about heading over to the intro thread and telling us a bit about yourself.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I live about 3 miles below the Manitoba border. We have a large population of wolves, bears and a small number of big cats coming back.

The spray is an excellent form of protection, but i wouldn't want to put my life on it alone. I often carry a .357 while out in the bush here. My choice in "big" bear country would be a short barrel pump shotgun, first round #4 shot, then slugs.

Many bear encounters can be avoided with a little common sense and education. Sad so many people come to the bush with a "Walt Disney" mentally and think bears are cute and cuddly. Most encounters can be avoided, but there are the ones that you do everything right and the bear just won't back down. In that case, it's your well being or the bear.

The video link I posted above is one of realty, not a Hollywood production, and just how fast a situation can go bad and how much time you have to decide on your options.

The spray works and then it don't, bells work and then they don't. There is one sure answer, all the precautions you take, you may still find yourself with your life in your own hands, each of us will act as we see fit at that time. If your afraid of the woods and the bears, simple, stay out of them....

Guy Fawkes 1605

Quote Originally Posted by ricc9 View Post
    Ummm, those guys were out there to shoot bears right?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Yeah - big difference in my book between out wandering in the wilds and having a chance encouter with a bear than having a team and camera crew out hunting them. Don't know anybody that hunts with bear spray.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

My choice in "big" bear country would be a short barrel pump shotgun, first round #4 shot, then slugs.

The video link I posted above is one of realty, not a Hollywood production, and just how fast a situation can go bad and how much time you have to decide on your options.
    So, Knowing that you have very little time to react to a bear attack. Why would you carry #4 shot as your first round?

Wait, let me guess. It's for a warning shot. Right?

#4 shot is for rabbit hunting not bear protection!!!

My Remington 870 is loaded with Brenneke Black magic slugs only.
    My .44 magnum revolver is loaded with Buffalo Bore 305gr. hard cast lead flat point.

If you are going to carry a gun for bear protection then load it with something that will kill a bear. Not piss it off the more a cause someone else to have to go find and put it out of it suffering.
    Last edited by klkak; 01-21-2009 at 11:34 PM.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Blog Entries

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=LZnsL7...eature=related
    You poor poor child. I have stood face to face with a brown bear in full charge not unlike the one in the video and hit it with bear spray. We were separated by the length of my 2006 Arctic Cat 500 ATV and that bear stopped dead in its tracks.

The bear in the video could continued its charge right into the guide and possibly killed him after being shot. I will tell you as I have said before in this very thread. I have had 3 encounters with bears using pepper spray. No one....let me say that again....No one. Not even the bears were killed or injured. I work every day of every summer in bear country. I do carry a firearm but I also carry 3 cans of pepper spray.

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    You poor poor child. I have stood face to face with a brown bear in full charge not unlike the one in the video and hit it with bear spray. We were separated by the length of my 2006 Arctic Cat 500 ATV and that bear stopped dead in its tracks.

The bear in the video could continued its charge right into the guide and possibly killed him after being shot. I will tell you as I have said before in this very thread. I have had 3 encounters with bears using pepper spray. No one....let me say that again....No one. Not even the bears were killed or injured. I work every day of every summer in bear country. I do carry a firearm but I also carry 3 cans of pepper spray.

Sorry, I should have put things in a better prospective. The #4 shot was a slip from here and dealing with black bears. You are correct, the bird shot would have little to no effect on a big bear. The spray seems to be the best choice, but I too would keep my S&W 44 mag in hand.

In the video, that sow had only one thing on her mind, she was going to hit that guy, no ands, ifs or buts about it. The fact remains, these large animals are unpredictable and trying to out guess one may cost you your life. Like I said before, the best defence in bear country is your common sense.

Oh, by the way, I'm no "Poor Child", I'm 60 years old and hunted most of this country. I have had only one bear run in, a black that wanted that patch of woods more then I did! In big bear country, it's a whole new ballgame...
    Last edited by ricc9; 01-22-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Guy Fawkes 1605

Blog Entries

Sorry, I should have put things in a better prospective. The #4 shot was a slip from here and dealing with black bears. You are correct, the bird shot would have little to no effect on a big bear. The spray seems to be the best choice, but I too would keep my S&W 44 mag in hand.

In the video, that sow had only one thing on her mind, she was going to hit that guy, no ands, ifs or buts about it. The fact remains, these large animals are unpredictable and trying to out guess one may cost you your life. Like I said before, the best defence in bear country is your common sense.

Oh, by the way, I'm no "Poor Child", I'm 60 years old and hunted most of this country. I have had only one bear run in, a black that wanted that patch of woods more then I did! In big bear country, it's a whole new ballgame...
    Forgive me for disrespecting an elder.

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    Forgive me for disrespecting an elder.
    60 isn't old, it's a state of mind!

My oldest and family lived in Fairbanks a few years ago, were talking about going back up there in the next year or so. Not Fairbanks, I don't do cities! Still alot of planing yet to do.

Guy Fawkes 1605

Blog Entries

Alaska is a nice place to visit.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I just found my new Charging Brown Bear pistol......Has anyone seen the video of the guy lighting off the 600 NITRO EXPRESS in a Thompson contender pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    I just found my new Charging Brown Bear pistol......Has anyone seen the video of the guy lighting off the 600 NITRO EXPRESS in a Thompson contender pistol.
    I just looked up and watched 2 different videos on youtube. I guess if you can hold onto it it might work.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I just looked up and watched 2 different videos on youtube. I guess if you can hold onto it it might work.
    Yea, that is it......I was not able to load it onto the forum. I thought it was funny when he lights it off someone yells: FORK and he should have yelled FORE or Duck.

For anybody interested, here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZL797pOAZ0
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Checked out a couple of the other videos. For the life of me, I can't figure out why some guys want to have their scrawny little wife or girl friend shoot some over-sized pistol and get smacked in the face!

Must make them feel macho.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Drunks and guns don't mix as well as stupid people.

Guy Fawkes 1605

Thanks for the weapons and ammo info klkak. I'll be buying some spray also.

Is there any kind of scent that you can put on your body that they don't like?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by higgy View Post
    Is there any kind of scent that you can put on your body that they don't like?
    We use "Moth Balls" around buildings, and equipment, everything we do not want the bears to eat. I use them on Kodiak and Afagnak Island to keep the Brown Bears out of camp.

Note: they are toxic and care should be used, around tents.

I even put moth balls out with the crops, to keep the bears from eating all the oats, barley, grass seed.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-23-2009 at 11:22 AM.