Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shoulder holster for a Ruger GP100?

"It will be cheaper to get a new wife, than find a comfortable shoulder holster."

OK now that's funny and I don't care who you are. That sounds like a well stuffed holster-box.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

This is the chest rig I bought for my Alaska trip in 2004. It is designed to wear outside your coat but you could also wear it under the parka just as well. For the life of me I can't remember who makes it though. It holds two speed loaders as well. That's a 4 inch Smith Model 57 .41 magnum. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Heck, a good one may be able to take apart a 1911 holster, and sew back together for you handgun. I can't imagine it being difficult for a good leather guy.
    Probably so. Unfortunately, the only good leather guy I know is several states away and has a long turn-around time. I was hoping to avoid all that, and just find something that is already suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    THE IDEA IS TO GLUE ONE HOLSTER INSIDE ANOTHER
    Okay, now I get it. You're telling me to glue a revolver holster inside the 1911 holster. But if I can't get the revolver in the 1911 holster by itself, how is the whole revolver holster with the revolver in it going to squeeze in there? Or are you also suggesting I pop all the stitches that profile the 1911 shape? I guess that might work...

I WOULD HAVE HAD YOU RESHAPE THE 1911 HOLSTER BY HAND BONING.
    That's that musical art form where people slap their hands against their arms and legs to make music, right?

BUT AS THE EASY STUFF WAS OVER YOUR HEAD. HAND BONING WILL NOT BE COMMUNICATED TO YOU.....
    Ha ha ha. I am excellent at following instructions, but some people are not excellent at giving them.

Seriously though, what is hand boning?

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    I'll give you an update when I have one. The pouch would attach to the shoulder strap of your pack so it would be right up front in plain view but wouldn't look like a holster.
    That sounds interesting, I'd definitely like to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Sgtdraino - if you look at the second link I gave you, it is just the holster component - you can attach it to a system that is comfortable to you.
    Yeaaah, but it's still horizontal carry, and I don't think I want that for this setup. If worse comes to worst, I reckon I could get the M7 holster, and just attach the straps to the M3 holster I already have. Trying to avoid having to sew leather though. I don't really have the proper tools for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Sgt. Draino, you're active Military & you can't figure this stuff out for yourself?
    lol. You are confused! I'm not active or former military, I'm a police sergeant, as should be pretty evident from my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    You keep asking simple questions that I would expect a man of your experience to already know or have some local resources to help you. Hmmmm.....
    I know some ways I could do this, I'm just trying to get it done with the least amount of hassle and cost. And I don't know any good leather guys around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    It is designed to wear outside your coat but you could also wear it under the parka just as well.
    That looks cool, but mostly I'd be wearing a modified fishing vest (see avatar) that probably would not conceal a holster like that. Plus I'm kinda leary of that cross strap on the shoulder, after my last experience.

I really like the looks of that M7-style holster for a Beretta that I linked previously. Does anyone think the GP100 would fit in that? Or not so much?
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
    4-inch barrel. but I think I would tend to prefer horizontal carry for this revolver anyway.

Then......

Yeaaah, but it's still horizontal carry, and I don't think I want that for this setup.
    I am officially confused.

But since you will be wearing a fishing vest, just sew a holster on the inside.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Hand Boning is the final shaping of the holster to the contour of the firearm. It is done as the leather dries. I use kitchen tools, but any rounded and smooth tools will work.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Sgtdraino, Sir it is clear to me that you don't know what you want. Or what you don't want. On top of which you get in a snit real easy. I tried to help. But I am pretty sure at this point you have a covert agenda.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-15-2009 at 08:20 AM.

I am officially confused.
    Heh. That's because for some reason I typed the opposite of what I meant to type! I meant vertical carry. Must have been the lack of sleep talking. I have a horizontal carry for my Glock, it's alright. Swings around a bit much, though. I want the weight as low down to my hip as possible. I want to secure the bottom of the holster to my belt.

But since you will be wearing a fishing vest, just sew a holster on the inside.
    I am considering that. But the vest has so many pockets on it, both inside and out, that such an operation would be complicated. Many of the inside pockets would be covered up by the holster and unuseable, and I'd have to either remove all the pockets, stitch on the holster, then put the pockets back on, or try to do a bunch of different seams around and inside the various pockets while they're attached. Very tedious.

Hand Boning is the final shaping of the holster to the contour of the firearm. It is done as the leather dries. I use kitchen tools, but any rounded and smooth tools will work.
    Sounds great. I'd be interested to learn about the procedure. It sounds similar to something I've done myself (without even knowing the process had a name) using an oil compound and a large metal spoon. Is there a thread where this process is discussed? My search did not turn up anything.

Sgtdraino, Sir it is clear to me that you don't know what you want. Or what you don't want.
    I think I know exactly what I want: An M7-style holster rig that will accomodate a Ruger GP100. I wasn't familiar with the M7 (only the M3) until someone posted about it in this thread, so that was great information. Now I'm just trying to figure out the easiest way to get one of these that will fit my weapon.

On top of which you get in a snit real easy.
    Snit? What snit?

I tried to help.
    Thanks, I appreciate it. Please continue!

But I am pretty sure at this point you have a covert agenda.
    Huh? What the heck would that be?

I guess nobody knows if a Beretta holster would be a better (or worse) fit for my Ruger than the 1911 holster?
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Well, I took a chance, and got the Beretta 92 holster I was eyeballing earlier:

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info....roducts_id/938

Got lucky! To my surprise, my Ruger GP100 fits perfectly!

But, there is one problem: Even though the item says it is for a 9mm, with loops for 10 rounds of 9mm ammo (which would work nicely for .38/.357), the holster they sent me actually seems to be for .40 S&W, with 8 loops that fit .40, not 9mm. The weird thing is, a .40 version of the holster isn't even advertised, nor is it an option to select from. And last time I called them to try and get measurements on it, they were completely unhelpful. Said they don't have access to the actual item, so there's no way they can measure it. This sucks because I really like the holster, it is nice. You guys think I should see if they can really locate a 9mm one, or should I assume at this point that they have no clue, cut my losses, and make do?

Anybody have any ideas for making those loops a little narrower, to accommodate .357?

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I carry a 45 Beretta Cougar in a IWB holster and as usual made it myself. I find doing it the way I want I get what I want. This is sewn to slightly undersized and wet down like soaked, reinforced with copper rivets. I wrap whatever in plastic wrap and force it into the wet leather. I have all the leather working stuff, but shaping to fit can be done with anything, spoon, stick, fingers. Shoulder I don't care for. Retaining strap, don't need one. I carry roughly between my front & rear pocket with the cant I like, safety off, full mag, chamber empty. It ain't hard to make a very functional holster if you get a good fit, reinforce with rivets and double sew, shoulder rig a welt may be necessary. Good advice from these guys but "do it yourself" and you save $$$ and get what you want. Revolver not much difference, just bone well so no retaining strap. Won't recommend any shoulder style, you should know what you want and make it.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.