View Poll Results: Which of these four rounds is best for "wilderness survival?"

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • .357 Magnum/.38 Special

65 63.11%
  • 9mm +P+ and other 9mm varieties

10 9.71%
  • .40 S&W

7 6.80%
  • .45 ACP

22 21.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: .357 Magnum, 9mm +P+, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP?

Holy crap! I'd never seen that. Randy that is slicker than drop seat underwear. Really cool! (yes, you can surmise at this point that I do not reload).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Of the rounds listed as a choice (handgun), i'll still pick the .357. But given a full choice of rounds, I would pick either the .44 special/magnum or the .41 Magnum and my favorite wildcat the .41 special.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Holy crap! I'd never seen that. Randy that is slicker than drop seat underwear. Really cool! (yes, you can surmise at this point that I do not reload).
    Rick, That's not randy in the vid,..... that was just to show how a Lee loader works.....But randy did have a post on a homemade version that I can't find.
    Was cool in the respect that you can "make" the compontants rather than "Buy" them,......But the principle is still the same and works as well......Kinda of a DIY ammo factory, should the need arise.

I started re-loading with a Lee Loader...and have gotten carried away....but still works just fine.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You can use a tube cutter to open the salvage case. Peel the case neck off the slug.

You can pop the primers out with hydrolic preasure. Fill them with water and use a tight fitting dowel to clear the primer, then let them dry and reload them.

Same powder, same primer, same slug just use the .357 case you saved.

Nice thing about the .357 is you do not have to worry about overload if you are breaking down 9mm/.380/38 S&W.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Looks like the Lee Loaders are pretty inexpensive, too.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Also small and portable, Altoids can size.
    Shot gun sets a little bigger.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Of the choices I would prefer the .357/.38 special. I like the idea that I can have both rifle and pistol in the same caliber, that being said I prefer the .44 mag, having used one since the 1960's. I have loaded many rounds with a Lee loader, and never a problem with the rounds.

Of the guns listed all their virtues. But although it's a fine round, the .40 is the first one I'd dump. It's not enough stouter than the 9mm IMO especially vs the ubiquity of 9mm ammo. If I lived in country that had dangerous 4 legged critters I'd be inclined to rank the .357 Mag higher, but the only dangerous critters near me are the 2 legged kind. And if I was worried about bears and such I'd consider the .357 a bit on the skimpy side. Ultimately that leaves me with the 9mm & .45 ACP. I would carry either since I have both, a Kimber .45 and a Browning HP in 9mm. Overall I prefer the design of the Browning but the extra punch of the .45 ACP cartridge is good to have. I feel both will get the job done.

I am always very thankful for that river between me and the grizzly population! There is also a river between me and the Cincinnati Zoo so when the nutjobs release all the lions, tigers and bears over there they will feed on the getto fodder before the swim the river. Possibly not waiting the mandatory 1/2 hour before taking the swim, they will develop stomach cramps and sink.

I wonder if a .357 will take out the radiation mutated huge ants and crickets like they used to have on the science fiction movies in the '50s.

Since both have exoskeletons you've probably have to move up the 4 gauge as your EDC. On the plus side you'd have a lot of fun trying to knock down the kangaroos. On the down side it would take forever for the giant tortoises to get in range.

Aim for the eyes!
    I know what hunts you.

Some of them insects have 8-10 eyes!

Oh Lord I am going to need a high capacity mag!

Anyone have one of them fancy new 8shot .357 mags I hear they are making now?

Then again, perhaps the high capacity 9mm might make an excellent bug gun.

KY, I think you need to get a Saiga shotgun with two 10 rounds magazines and a skate board. If the first mag doesn't stop them then hop on the skate board, point the shotgun backwards and start pulling the trigger. You'll be like a rocket sled on rails.

Yeah, I'm kind of an idea man. I leave the details to others to work out. It's hard enough just coming up with outstanding ideas like this one.

I don't need a Saiga Rick, I'm old school!

I have a double barrel 12 that will get me rolling good with a singe field load and send me supersonic if I use high brass in the second barrel.

Anyone have a helmet and some knee pads?

OK, for Browning designs. Wouldn't you want a 1911 or HP in DA/SA or DAO instead of SAO?

IMO a 45 ACP belongs in a 1911 and everything else belongs in a Glock!
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared