View Poll Results: Which of these four rounds is best for "wilderness survival?"

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • .357 Magnum/.38 Special

65 63.11%
  • 9mm +P+ and other 9mm varieties

10 9.71%
  • .40 S&W

7 6.80%
  • .45 ACP

22 21.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .357 Magnum, 9mm +P+, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP?

Blog Entries

For woods carry I choose my S&W 629 4" with an assortment of loads. For personal defense I choose my Glock 23 with 2 extra hi-cap mag's loaded with any manufactures top end personal defense 180 gr. hollow points. It's not choosy it'll shoot any 180 gr. load. I have Winchester SXT's in it now.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Yes, it was not on the list but a S&W 629 in .44Rem mag would be my choice.

Now in Kanata they won't allow us to carry pistols in the bush, unless you qualify and those permits are very specific to where and who can carry them.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

retired American

From most of what I have read the .44 magnum is the smallest caliber which is adequate for bear defense. For black bears maybe .357 but grizzlies you need .44 magnum. There is also now the .500 S & W for real stopping power if you don't have to worry about the extra weight. .44 magnum ammo is readily available and for cheaper target ammo use .44 special as they will work in magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by chiangmaimav View Post
    From most of what I have read the .44 magnum is the smallest caliber which is adequate for bear defense.
    From what I have read, the bear spray is more effective than any handgun for bear defense. So unless I'm planning to hunt and eat bear, dunno if that would be a consideration for my choice of caliber.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Well if hunt and eat it a little pepper would help the taste
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,

Actually, I believe the best defense against bears is being knowledgeable about them and aware of your surroundings.......kind of like any environment you find yourself in.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by changeover View Post
    From most of what I have read the .44 magnum is the smallest caliber which is adequate for bear defense. For black bears maybe .357 but grizzlies you need .44 magnum. There is also now the .500 S & W for real stopping power if you don't have to worry about the extra weight. .44 magnum ammo is readily available and for cheaper target ammo use .44 special as they will work in magnum.
    The only thing that makes the .44 mag suitable for bear protection is the fact that most folks can't handle anything bigger. Pepper spray is by far better for bear protection then any handgun. I have commented on this many times in these forums from first hand experience.

The only thing a hand gun is good for in a bear attack is it allows you to shot the bear while he is on top of you biting your face off. Or, If you get to the point where you can no longer stand the sound of your flesh ripping or you bones being crunched then you can shoot yourself.

Oh and .44 special cost just as much as .44 magnum. It just don't recoil as much.

I have 2 lever action .44 magnum's in my house loaded with .44 special CCI Blazer hollow points. (in case of a zombie attack)
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

If you are already carrying a .22lr anyway, I would go with the biggest round (for greatest stopping power, or biggest hole) I can get. I just bought my first .45 acp, and only shot 2 clips through it, but I like it. I got the Taurus 24/7 PRO SS model. I chose it over the Ruger (which was what I went in there to buy that day) because the mags hold 12 rounds and the ruger mags hold 8. I also bought 200 rounds of FMJ and 20 rounds of Hydrashocks for it. I would have gotten the .50 cal Desert Eagle but didn't want the old lady to use it on me. LOL.

Bears are best avoided by not suprising them and storing your food properly among other things. Shooting a bear may only prove to make it kill you before it dies.

Remember, you have the .22lr for survival hunting and such, you need a "protector" for them cougars or 2 legged snakes, or whatever else is in your area (besides bears, wear bells for them).
    Last edited by catfish10101; 12-28-2008 at 02:11 AM.

Look I think that the .45 acp is the best there is for the 2 legged predators., but for a survival/hunting senario is is so less than ideal. If it were all I had I wouldn't complain, but if given the choice between a .357 or a .44 and the .45acp there is no choice. The number of bullet options alone limits what you can do with the .45. I can have bullet weights from 110 grains up to 200 grains with the .357 and the .44 gives me bullet weights from 160grains to 265 grains

retired American

I never owned a .44 magnum or have even fired one. I did used to have a Taurus .41 magnum with a short barrel and it had manageable recoil. Even though I did used to travel in bear country in US sometimes I never encountered a bear which was fine by me, si I am no expert on bears. Pepper spray is supposed to be good but best thing is probably not get close enough to bears to need it.

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    There is not a box for non of the above.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...................................
    Same here, I decline to vote.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Same here, I decline to vote.
    Not really applicable. The question is asking which of the four rounds listed is best. Not best of all rounds everywhere, just best of these four. Unless you think all four of these calibers are equally crappy (or great), then I'd think you'd have an opinion and would be able to vote.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Blog Entries

Default Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
    Not really applicable. The question is asking which of the four rounds listed is best. Not best of all rounds everywhere, just best of these four. Unless you think all four of these calibers are equally crappy (or great), then I'd think you'd have an opinion and would be able to vote.
    Like I said, the answer to your question is "none of the above". I use .22 LR myself! I think it's the best!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Like I said, the answer to your question is "none of the above". I use .22 LR myself! I think it's the best!
    So, just to clarify, you think that .357 is no better or worse than, say, 9mm when it comes to survival applications?

Blog Entries

Cool Well,since you asked....

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
    So, just to clarify, you think that .357 is no better or worse than, say, 9mm when it comes to survival applications?
    I've never used either one so I have no frame of reference to honestly answer that question. Given the rising cost of center-fire ammunition, I don't for-see buying either weapon in the future. However, for the sake of this discussion, in the highly unlikely event that someone had offered to buy me the pistol of my choice along with all of the ammo I'd ever desire I'd pick the .357 over the 9mm any day of the week & twice on Sunday! The 9mm has less stopping power than the .357, obviously. However, my weapon of choice would probably be a Springfield Arms 1911 .45 ACP simply because I've always liked it & wouldn't mind owning one; & that's the ONLY reason, not because I think it's a superior "Survival" round. I think that you'll get a variety of answers on this as everybody has their favorite. The .40 S&W is favored by Law enforcement since it combines "stopping Power with less penetration, therefore minimalizing the chance of "collateral damage"; like the round going on through the perp & into an innocent bystander. I don't know if that answered your question or not, but I don't see either of the four rounds listed as having any one being superior to the other in a true survival situation. Any one, used properly, should get the job done.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

All listed would be welcome in a wilderness survival situation. I own hand guns chambered in each of the calibers listed. For hiking around here I stick with my everyday carry weapon (.40 S&W). My EDC used to be chambered in 9mm. My weapon of choice for hiking in other areas has been different depending on the area. My .44 went with me often. A .45 was the weapon used during my military time. In the situation that you describe, I chose the .357. However, when you describe a wilderness survival situation I've gotta think - how long is it gonna be? A day, a week, a year? If I'm humping around the ammunition for the weapon I have, I would be in the none of the above category. While sometimes the discussions we have on the best or perfect what ever, are entertaining and sometimes informative, IMO, there is no "perfect" weapon, knife or ammunition for every situation. That's why I prefer planning and options.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would have to go with the .40 S&W because I can get some stopping power and a few extra rounds. The recoil is very manageable as well but not sure how it would hold up against bears. I think .357 is also a nice round but having only a limited number of shots to hit your target may hurt you if its a life or death situation. I think there are a lot of rounds capable of doing the job it really depends on what you are comfortable with shooting because you may have a .357 but if you are not used to the recoil and can't hurt your target than you might as well be using a .22lr.

We are asked to choose a caliber that is listed, why these limits?
    The answer is fairly simple: the one you are most accurate with and most likely to carry (if allowed), the one that will do the “job” in your situation.
    Like some have already said bear spray/avoidance is more viable than a pistol rd, magnum or not it is still a pistol rd. Deter rather than confront.
    That is if bears are your primary concern, not meat gathering.
    2 legged kinds is of another matter
    Again what you realistically practice with rather than what you wish you had, no one saved their lives by giving his target pneumonia from the air wash of a passing bullet.
    Meat gathering, self loaders are great only if used in the proper context. A magazine is just that, a well to hold extra rds, not an excuse for having missed the first and second and third…. times. No Zombie wars here, game will not just sit there waiting for the next shot; usually it will move on at odd angles and accelerating speed. Become the better shot, hunter that you need to be just as fire making, shelter building,…..is important so is firearm competency…
    Like any thing else not smoke and mirrors but will stand the test of time.
    This post could go one ad infinitum; parameters and ability are not defined properly.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,

I guess it does come down to "not the size but how you use it"

Only because your list is limited, I go with the dual use 357/38.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."