Thread: Going it solo!

Blog Entries

Cool Going it solo!

TBWN says that the two of them are going out into the Northern Canadian woods with just their knives and the clothes on their backs in the late fall. A visit to their web-site revealed they had studied somr of Dr. Ron Hood's materials. Dr. Hood did a video on a "near-disasterous " solo survival trip for 14 days, check out what HE thought someone should take...this is his gear list:

http://www.survival.com/html/solo_gear_list.html

So what do ya think? Does the good Dr. know what he's doing or not?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I agree that they are nuts, but why does the list you linked on your post have "lock picks" on it? I thought the woods we're open to everyone? LOL

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

Yeah, I was kinda wondering that too. Seems to me he was ready for a 3000 mile cross country. I'm glad I don't have to carry all that crap...
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

Blog Entries

Don't think I could carry all that stuff in a Jeep.

Keep in mind the good Dr.Hood had three other people and some large dogs to help haul the load. Ive seen the video, its o.k. I felt there were a lot of incomplete details, ie, where did that fancy 22 rifle come from?, shelter details, camp life day to day on a solo, but I guess it wasnt really a solo.... lots of details I would like to see were missing from a " solo survival" video. Just sayin...

Blog Entries

Question Hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by BillHay View Post
    Keep in mind the good Dr.Hood had three other people and some large dogs to help haul the load. Ive seen the video, its o.k. I felt there were a lot of incomplete details, ie, where did that fancy 22 rifle come from?, shelter details, camp life day to day on a solo, but I guess it wasnt really a solo.... lots of details I would like to see were missing from a " solo survival" video. Just sayin...
    Dr. Hood, if I'm understanding it right, seems to have learned a lot of his Survival knowledge from the military, and now he's marketing it. Nothing wrong with makin' some green, just wonderin' how many more videos the guy can think up?
    Last edited by Sarge47; 09-13-2007 at 07:11 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Talking He don' need no stinkin' Jeep...

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    Don't think I could carry all that stuff in a Jeep.
    ...Check around his web-site and check out that Hummer he's got. Teaching Survival seems to pay pretty good.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

The common choice for a recovery vehicle (the one that pulls stuck 4-wheelers out of ditches and other hazards) has predominately been a Jeep. The only Hummer I would ever buy is an H1 militart style Hummer, never an H2 or H3. I own a Wrangler now because the $100,000 price tag on an H1 is a bit out of my price range.

And yes, survival must pay pretty well.

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

Quote Originally Posted by survivalhike View Post
    The common choice for a recovery vehicle (the one that pulls stuck 4-wheelers out of ditches and other hazards) has predominately been a Jeep. The only Hummer I would ever buy is an H1 militart style Hummer, never an H2 or H3. I own a Wrangler now because the $100,000 price tag on an H1 is a bit out of my price range.

I hear Tom Brown has a Hummer too. I agree with ya - The Hummer is a rich man's toy, and you rarely see them any further off road than climbing a curb to park. I have a Jeep Cherokee that I'm driving/rebuilding now, and when I'm done it'll go any place a hummer can go, and cost about $75.000 less. And i still won''t pack all that crap in it!
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

Quote Originally Posted by survivalhike View Post

One day this old guy in a FORD pick-up told me what JEEP stood for. "Junk Each & Every Peice!"
    just sayin..

Everyone has their opinion I know...I just happen to be a Jeep man, not all of you can be perfect like me. LOL

I wanted to make a joke about Ford's but my father has an Expedition that has 250,000 miles on it and still runs like a champ. I'm fresh out of smart arse comments...sorry.