Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blowgun bird

I personally see nothing wrong with killing mice around ones home. I've killed several around my place. Also had a few cats to take care of them when we lived in the desert. In the wild I would never kill just to kill tho, not even mice.
    GOD FAVORS NO GROUP ONLY RELIGIONS DO THAT

Blowgunsgalore - From your posts you say that you are 14 and appear to have a keen interest in hunting and trapping. That's cool. You got the questions you did because many believe that you should not kill an animal in the wild unless you plan on using it. If it's just a matter of you wanting to practice, make up some targets. Glad you are here and are asking questions.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

At 14 years old, you are in the killing stage, it's natural. As you get older, you will go through phases in hunting.

If you are lucky, you may oneday get to where I and many here are, a point at which killing is not so much fun if it was ever fun. For me, it's never been fun. It was a means to eat meat.

Around the house, yes, I have put out traps and killed the critters that got into the attic, then I found out where they were coming in and sealed it shut.

Around the house, if I see a copperhead or rattler, it's dead because I have children and they would be at risk. In the field, I just leave them alone, let them be. I've even gotten to the point where at home, I will kill the black widows, but at work in the vaults, I bang on the lid, they hide, I keep my eye out and work around them.

Scorpions, die........I hate scorpions as my wife is allergic to them.

Every critter has a purpose, to needlesly kill them, I can not justify. I had to kill the big ol hampster that got out and had it's back broken by the dog about a month back. I've killed on many many rabbits by just twisting their necks and that was it. This was the hardest twist, why, I don't know. I could really give a crap about the undersized rat, but the fact that all I had to do was twist, and it died.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Frank is right, I don't hunt much anymore. I enjoy the stalk and the chance to practice, but if I don't need the meat or snakes around the house I leave them alone. The killing was a new experience when I was a kid but just knowing I can is enough now.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

To be honest killing is an emotional trauma every time for me.
    Cheers!
    Richard Styrsky (Styric)

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more.

-Lord Byron (George Gordon)

For the record, anytime someone wants to come to my house to kill mice, voles, and moles. They're welcome. I will even cook said person dinner if they meet success.

Bastards won't stop messing with my garden.

And snakes... well ya, poisonous ones around the house have to go, but I will take non-poisonous ones and bring them to my yard. Why? They eat mice, and voles, and moles. Snakes == good. Rodents == bad.

Looks to me like Rodents need a better PR team. Rodents == bad. They need something catchy like, "Where's the Cheese?" or "Got Cheese?" or maybe even, "Yo Quiero Rats and Mice".
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Somebody (don't remember who) had as their sig something like:

Squirrels have better pr. Afterall, it's just a rat with a furry tail.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

you can roast a mouse with the skin and hair on and serve it on toast. You can eat it bones and all. That ios how they did it in England in the 18th Century. For other mouse recipes see the film "Never Cry Wolf" starring Charles Martin Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierarcher View Post
    For other mouse recipes see the film "Never Cry Wolf" starring Charles Martin Smith.
    Awesome movie!
    Cheers!
    Richard Styrsky (Styric)

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more.

-Lord Byron (George Gordon)

of course cuz they rnt doing anything wrong

this is funny
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!"
    -Capt. Henry P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 January 1943

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    Are they tasty critters?
    Ghetto chicken, is quite tasty (even for a poor man) yes i like em fine those little orange footed fryers ,,mmm,mmm,mmm
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

I see no problem trying one on a mouse. Of course a swampmouse might be inclined to tube one up. LOL! Of course we should be aware that a mouse would be a snack if you were surviving a crash or SHTF scenerio. Probably taste like squirrel, it's cousin.
    "Most of the luxuries and many of the so-called comforts of life are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind.”

— Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierArcher
    you can roast a mouse with the skin and hair on and serve it on toast. You can eat it bones and all. That ios how they did it in England in the 18th Century. For other mouse recipes see the film "Never Cry Wolf" starring Charles Martin Smith.
    Uh, no thanks.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

come on try it lol
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!"
    -Capt. Henry P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 January 1943

Both mice and rats are disease vectors, but not every mice or rat carries disease. Even some mice in the southwest US carry the hanta virus. It's a hemorragic fever which causes you to bleed from every orifice, even ones you didn't know you had.

Everyone has their opinion about mice and rats. Rats also can carry fleas, which carried the Black Plague from the middle ages (aka Bubonic Plage, Black Death). The Black Plague has popped up several times but the really bad one which killed 30% of Europe popped up in the Middle ages.

In the early 1900s mice would get into peoples' cupboards. Their urine and feces carries disease causing bacteria. This is why your grandma got in the habit of carefully wiping off cans of food before opening them.

Did you know mouse urine will glow under UV light? That's how you find their runways. I didn't believe it until I tried it. It's a faint glow, and grows more faint with time, but it does work.

Did you know mouse urine will glow under UV light? That's how you find their runways. I didn't believe it until I tried it. It's a faint glow, and grows more faint with time, but it does work.
    All urine will glow under a black light. (as will some other bodily fluids) The more powerful the light, the better it will show up. When I teach classes on rodent trapping I demonstrate this by taking the class into the restroom, turn the lights out, turn on the black light. Some people probably can't aim a rifle either.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, a bit more instruction would have been helpful. After a rather shocking experience I'm going to make the assumption you don't actually have to pee on the light to get the urine to glow.

You are correct sir. Dried urine shows up best under a black light. Wet...not so much.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel