Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boiling water.

turbidity - that is the particle matter in water ever see cloudy water? thats turbidity which in some filters cloggs them or doesn't allow uv light to pass thru so if in your gathering you find the water cloudy then let it sit a few minutes to settle the particles then pour off to purify in your chossen method
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

great point crash about the boiling as a visual primer for safe water my concern up here as is most places id e-coli and that is killed with a minute of boiling which has already been shown that by the time the water is at "boiling" it has been hot enough to kill the e-coli already for 2 minutes

Giardia is the most frequent cause of non-bacterial diarrea in North America.Boiling at least one minute will kill the organism.Same for cryptosporidium,which is highly resistant to chlorine and iodine.Ive read dysentery needs 10-15 minutes to boil off but not positive.It does kill40-50,000 people worldwide each year.

I just boil water for 25-30 minutes as precaution. And I cook meat the same time, or about to 45 minutes in coal-burned container.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

I know many including me that do ot boil water from certain waters. I believe that your body bullds a natural resistance from giardia and crypto. They didn't have filters 100 years ago. It also depends on where you travel.

I am not recommending you don't filter, I just think that it is not always necessary and recognizing when it is and when it is not, is a skill worth learning.

Blog Entries

Umm, I've had Giardia.....twice.....you don't build up a resistance to it. It is not very fun to have.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Well as Les said in his book if it's life or death and that's the only water you got drink it. Even if you can't boil it. Dehydration will kill you faster than the parasites will.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Blog Entries

Ahhhhhhh...........think I'll just stick with my 15 min. boil, like.......just to be safe........why rush it, just nice to kick back, water boiling, quiet, listening to the stream, the critters, 15 minutes is nothing but relaxation time.

I'll tell ya tommorrow..............cause I'm taking the afternoon off and heading to the woods. Gonna grab the little trout pole and see if'n I can catch myself some late season trout. If I do get lucky, gonna cook it right there just for sheots and giggles. Not even gonna take a gun, what the he ll do I need a gun for, I'm not gonna kill anything anyway.

[QUOTE=FVR;89672]Ahhhhhhh...........think I'll just stick with my 15 min. boil, like.......just to be safe........why rush it, just nice to kick back, water boiling, quiet, listening to the stream, the critters, 15 minutes is nothing but relaxation time.

I'll tell ya tommorrow..............cause I'm taking the afternoon off and heading to the woods. Gonna grab the little trout pole and see if'n I can get lucky,

frank this is a family site

Blog Entries

Well, getting to the trout stream gonna have to wait till Friday. Funny how stuff just pops up.

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    Well, getting to the trout stream gonna have to wait till Friday. Funny how stuff just pops up.
    Hope that was a good thing FVR,whatever it was.

WE,get your mind outta the gutter
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I know each given water source is different, and the forest I go to shows no sign of human/chemical contamination, no jets fly overhead and it is shure far back, about 2 miles. It is some natural pool that disconnects and flows rather quite rapidly for about another mile towards some giant pond. Iv'e been drinking from here since I moved here, boiling for 25-30 minutes, and gathering the water from the flowing part, and for about 6 months I have had no tell-tale signs of illness. Im not downing anyone who boils for a minute or so, but what I want to do is just an expiriement. I want to bring the water to a boil and drink from it for a good solid week, and the outcome will tell me, at least, weather or not I feel this is an effective method. I have never done this, but it shure would be nice to boil for a minute.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

well all i know is that it takes too much effert to grab fuel for my fires so i bring my kettle to just a boil and drink my tea i have been doing that for years now. i have only been sick once gastro discofmort for about two weeks and that was when i used a buddies canteen with his water, was either that or the steak i cooked on the coals but i tend to think the water- unknown source that will never happen again.

I am a restaurant manager and have to take a food safty course every few years. I also always wanted to now how long to boil water to make safe. All you must do to make all food safe is bring it F165 for 15 seconds. That will kill 99.99 of bactera. In high altitude that maybe boiling because the higher you go the lower water boils at, but at sea level the water needs only to boil to be more than safe.

Thanks everybody for the information, very useful stuff. And now that I've gotten my answer(s), I"m going to head to the introduction section since a few people said I should do that.

Boiling Water:

You should boil water for 5 minutes to ensure you kill all harmfull pathogens. Some people say you can get away with as little as 1 minute of boiling at sea level, adding one additional minute for every 1000 feet above see level. However as all ready stated boiling water does not kill chemicals.

Personally when obtaining water from a lake I would do the following;

1) Check the sorroundings;
    A) No vegetation, black water, scum on the top, see if you can find other sources.
    B) If the above is all OK, check to see if animals drink from the lake. If they do make sure you dont gather nearby or gather upstream of them. They often deficate where the drink.

2) Obtain the water;
    A) If possible walk back as far as possible from the water and dig a whole below the water table. Water from the lake will eventually drain in. This allows the dirt all the way between the lake and your hole to filter as much water as possible.
    B) If the above is not an option obtain you water as close to around half the depth

3) Filter
    A) if you please you cna filter the water before you drink it, however possible pass it through rocks, pebbles, sand, clothes and charcoal

PS:

Im not 100% sure about this one perhaps someon could clear it up. But I've read that if you have an upset stomach you can mix charcoal and colas from the fire into water and drink it. I assume this is becuase it is a base and will help netralize painfull acids in your stomach. HOWEVER if it is the water that is making you sick in the first place I am not sure if you want to mix it with charcoal and drink more of it.

I am a Licensed Class 2 water treatment operator, and the official E.P.A. line is that water brought to a ROLLING boil for one minute is officially disinfected. As mentioned earlier this will of course not remove chemical contamination, but neither will filtering. Activated carbon will help reduce some chemical contamination, and is included in some hiking filters for this reason, but it cannot be relied upon to remove it all. The better your raw water quality, the better your finished water quality, and the longer your filter will last. It is always a good idea to follow up filtration with either chlorination or iodine addition for disinfection, filters remove particles in water, they don't disinfect. It is true that hiking filters generally remove most pathogens, however following this up with chemical disinfection provides a second level of protection and a higher likelihood of avoiding illness. This having been said, I feel perfectly comfortable with drinking water filtered from most stream, spring or lake sources in north America without following this up with chemical addition. Provided a filter from a reputable company like "PURE" or "katahdin" in good condition was used.
    Stephen K. Wood

It should be noted that bacteria can exist in the filter after use.Silver is added to many highend filters to counter act this.Otherwise storing the cartrige in the freezer or a snow bank will kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    From what I have read is that moving water is the best to use however boiling pond or lake water will sufice.
    In our neck of the woods - lake water (if it is a larger lake) is preferable to running water. Streams and rivers are where beaver are most likely to have their lodges. Beaver - or Deer = Beaver Fever AKA Giardia. If you ever get giradia - you'll never want to repeat the experience.

Taking water fro the center of a large lake will make getting giardia much less likely, but you are always taking a chance.

Many parts of the country there are a great many other impurities you have to worry about. If that is the case where you live - I'd suggest getting a PUR (or other brand) water purifier. Where giardia is the only concern - you can get by with a water filter.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

What I have done as far as lake water is if I have a clean old rag or t-shirt laying around I put it over top of the container to strain out any pebbles, algae, and other junk that may get in it then I boil for at least 15 minutes to make sure everything is gone. To be honest it still takes like sh** most of the time so if you are just doing it for a mock survival situation you will probably only do it a few times before you go back to your bottled water but it is still fun just to try to make sure you are used to it and know how to correctly do it.