Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USMC Canteen/Cup/Stove Questions

Default USMC Canteen/Cup/Stove Questions

First off, welcome me back to the forums after spending a horrible 7 months in downtown Detroit and being completely trailless. Now I'm in Boston and hiking the mountains in Vermont! Ok now shutup, I'm asking the questions here ....

Thinking about consolidating my mess and hydration items into the USMC canteen kit. Also heard about the stove/windscreen that fits within the same pouch. I like this compact, fitted system but I don't like the open bottom of the stove/windscreen. I would rather it be closed like the NATO Crusader stove/windscreen so it can be used on wet ground.

Anyone know of a site that sells a closed-bottom USMS canteen cup-compatible windscreen? Specifically one that fits with the canteen/cup in the pouch. Maybe someone makes a custom one for cheap?
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Welcome back mitch!Since I cannot help you with your quest,I will shut up now!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Maybe something as simple as cutting the bottom off another cup, cutting four holes in the rim and using coat hanger wire as support beams. Heck, I'm starting to convince myself to buy another cup!

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Welcome back mitch!Since I cannot help you with your quest,I will shut up now!
    Good to be back, let me tell ya
    Last edited by MCBushbaby; 12-17-2008 at 01:15 PM.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Welcome back Mitch, I have what you have described with th GI canteen cup/stove stand that fits together. It fits upside down in the case buit reverse it and it inserts itself under/into the SS cup; possibly fabricate a folding/revolving base that you could also store in the canteen cover?
    Similar to the MSR stand on the Dragonfly stove?

Would that still fit into the GI pouch if it stores over the canteen?

Mine is a trillium style? I have not tried it yet but wait a few seconds and I will

Well here's kind of the general idea of what I want
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...StandVargo.jpg

This is the windscreen/support for the Crusader. If I could get something like this that fits the US SS cup, it'd be perfect. I wouldn't need the 'fancy' hing support wires... just some holes near the rim for loose wires or some such.

I like the bowl design because I can put an esbit or alcohol stove in there or even tinder if no stove is handy. I can set it in the snow or in a shallow puddle even. But it needs to fit in the canteen pouch along with the canteen and SS cup... that's the point of consolidation

My pouch was always tight canteen/ss cup/ss stand in its pouch, but I was able to fit it in. It won't be easy either in or out but doable. The "MSR" stand has sets of semi erect tabs that could be cut/sawed off and that would also help it in the insertion into the cover, or you could just customize your own pattern with no trouble at all.
    Maybe with a slightly larger cover it would all be good?

I think I will try to fab. one and use a rivet as the pivot point, and let the whole affair sit on that "collaspable fanning pad"

Now for a question of my own is there SS GI pattern canteens still available?

On the canteen itself? Not GI. You'd have to look on the third-party sites that sell 'improved' versions of GI equipment. I know you can get black and white canteen pouches but haven't seen any canteen color other than metal and polyeth olive drab. Spraypaint?

Sorry gave wrong info, SS= Stainless Steel as what the canteen is/was made from. I have an aluminum one but would like to locate a Stainless Steel version?

Aluminum canteens ended in 1943, after that they were stainless steel until 1960 when Vietnam's plastic canteens hit the scene. So you'd need to go on eBay and look for WWII metal canteens circa 1940-1959. eBay's been the only place I've found decently priced metal ones.

Nyah:wen: thanks

Mitch - GrayWolf posted a link (now a sticky under making stuff) that has an Esbit modification that may work for you. http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html On the left, look under stoves. Number 14 is the one I'm talking about, but as you can see, there are lots of options and ideas.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yea I saw that esbit page before and it does work. However I'm trying to 'cup' (for lack of a better metaphor) the heat under my steel cup so as to maximize heat buildup.. like an oven. I'd also like to be able to use the stand/windscreen as a sort of hobo stove with plant debris. This is a bit hard on the esbit stove because of its small footprint. Basically the USMC canteen windscreen but with a bottom on it. Suppose I could weld one...

I'm being picky, sorry.

Does anyone have two army canteen cups? Can you check to see if they slip onto the end of each other (like kitchen pint glasses)? I may just buy two cups and make a stand from the cutout of one if this is confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.chesney View Post
    Does anyone have two army canteen cups? Can you check to see if they slip onto the end of each other (like kitchen pint glasses)? I may just buy two cups and make a stand from the cutout of one if this is confirmed.
    I've got a few. I'll dig them out tomorrow and let you know.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Mitch - here are two of mine. They are the stainless variety with the butterfly handles. The handle seems to be what is keeping it from fitting. Maybe the older ones with the strip handles would fit together better.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks crash. I'm not too worried with the whole cup nesting inside one another. Rather, cut one in half (top and bottom) and using the bottom "cup" as a windscreen/support similar to a small hobo stove that can nest. So the handles wouldn't get in the way I'd hope.