Thread: making a tip up?

Default making a tip up?

there was just a thread on ice fishing and they were saying to walk away and then check it every once in awhile. It got me thinking that wouldnt it be alot easier to make a tip up and when it gets set off then turn your attention to it. For you guys that dont know what a tip up is , its used for ice fishing and when the fish bites the hook it sets off a flag or something to alarm you that you have a fish.

Anyone know??

A tip up would be the way to go. A flag or bell system would also work in southern climates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryleyboy View Post
    Anyone know??
    Are you asking how to make a tip up?

One way would be to lash two sticks together in the shape of a cross making sure the stick covering the hole is long enough not to be pulled through the hole. On the short end of the other stick tie your hook and line. On the longer end, tie on your flag. When a fish has your hook it will pull the flag up.
    It works like a playground teeter-toter.

I was thinking of taking a decent sized stick and making sorta like a deadfall and then tie the line to the stick that is holding up the rock or anything else. and when the fish bites the hook and pulls then the rock would fall down and you would know you have one.. would this work?

There's one good way to find out.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Ryleyboy View Post
    I was thinking of taking a decent sized stick and making sorta like a deadfall and then tie the line to the stick that is holding up the rock or anything else. and when the fish bites the hook and pulls then the rock would fall down and you would know you have one.. would this work?
    It probably would but, why? If the fish is on the hook do you need to crush it too?

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    It probably would but, why? If the fish is on the hook do you need to crush it too?
    Seems uncommonly cruel, doesn't it? I think he just wants the rock to move to show him he has a fish. I just tie a little stick on the cross bar with the line that I wrap around the bar, stick goes down, fish bit. I believe I mentioned that in the other ice fishing post.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

trax has it right
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

or maybe rig it up so that when the fish pulls on the line, it pulls the trigger on the ak 47 thats mounted above, The fish pulls until it is shot and it doesn't pull anymore, leading to a cease in gun fire. ITS PERFECT!!!!

Get a hand grenade, pull the pin almost all the way out, when the fish takes the bait, BOOM.... sushi!!!
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

no , i didnt mean the rock crush the fish just fall down so then you kno you got it..

if you make like a small t put your line on the short end when you get a fi**** will tip the long end up in the air.
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

Quote Originally Posted by skunkkiller View Post
    trax has it right
    you know I never get tired of hearing that, I'm almost starting to think you guys would get tired of saying it after awhile

(almost...starting to think that)
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"