Thread: Winter Stove/Pot Modification Help

Default Winter Stove/Pot Modification Help

Increase thermal efficiency of stove/pot, reduce fuel and subsequently, weight.

That's the basic idea here. I have a thin-walled titanium pot that acts as the best darn radiator of heat you've seen. Trouble is I want the heat to stay in my water and not get dispersed into the winter air. So I'm trying to find a material to wrap the pot exterior with that will insulate it from the winter air. It must be fireproof due to the fire below. Some interesting metrics: alcohol stove flames reach 650-750 degC, campfires can reach 1000 degC. Glass melts at about 1000 degC.

Idea one was a 1/4" ceramic fire blanket. These things can take 1300 degC sustained. After discussing it, however, I was reminded it is fibrous and while not as bad as asbestos, if it gets in my food or water... it'll get into me and cause some nifty problems.

Idea two, directly off the previous conversation, is a double boiler. Somehow wrap a second wall around the first, separated by air (not a windscreen) and secure it to the base and top rims.

Idea three is... you guys. Let's see if we can pool resources and come up with another idea.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

I'm not sure what material is used, but Jetboil has a pretty niffty insulating system for its pots.

EDIT: I guess it's neoprene. The heat exchanger at the bottom of the cup keeps the flames away.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 12-26-2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: a little research
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What about an aluminum sheeting to create a wind shroud around the whole affair?
    Light, folds/rolls up and cools off fast.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

That heat foil on the jetboil is a nifty little thing but, indeed, the insulation is neoprene and melts at a mere 250 degF. I have an aluminum sheet windscreen but it't just too hard to use with a campfire. I'd rather have it attached in a way I can put it over any number of flame types (campfire, canister, hobo, etc).

But, yea, the JetBoil insulation idea is what I'm going for. Just something that can take the brunt of a full-on campfire and my lack of care in placement

EDIT: does anyone know of a larger (700ml+) version of this? Seems like a simple doublewall pre-made pot would be perfect! I just hope the walls are double and not the base (essential to be single wall)
    Last edited by MCBushbaby; 12-26-2008 at 09:01 PM.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Not sure where you can get it other than in bulk, but ceramic fiber cloth should give you the insulating qualities that you desire.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ah, mister crash, all it takes is asking for a sample. After all, I only need a square foot or so, and I'm positive they'll have that lying in a discard pile somewhere

If that snow peak cup is double walled even across the bottom, couldn't you take a small disc and cut the outside wall around the bottom edge right where it starts to turn under? This would expose the inner cup. Then maybe drill a few small holes right below the top edge, only through the first layer to allow some heat to escape.
    Last edited by chiggersngrits; 12-26-2008 at 10:37 PM.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Exactly, I think that'll be the route to take if I find the ceramic blanket to shed (or find some health report on it). The biggest mug/pot I could find is 600ml, which isn't too bad.

Snowpeak makes a 860 ml. double wall, model tw-120, but it doesn't have the handles on the side. Why couldn't you drill a couple holes near the top edge, attach a wire and make a billy pot out of it? I don't know how well those side handles would hold up after you cut the bottom out. I think I would like the billy better than the side handles, as you could hang it over the fire as another option.

Yes, I tend to put a bail on every pot I get. Those folding side handles get too hot over anything other than a controlled canister burn. Good find by the way, I'll look into it. $54 is a high price tag for a test run though

Theres a site named T.A.D. Gear Inc. that has them for less than 32 bucks. I have never ordered from them before.

Sounds like it would be less monkey-business to just use a steel pot.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

What about the fiberglass wicking like they use to wrap the Heinekin cooking pot?
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

That TAD site is pretty well hidden unless you put in certai google keywords. Because, wow, if I knew this site sold name-brand stuff for less than MSPR I'd have given them all my business. lol

The Thermo-Tec wrap looks like it'll do the trick so long as it truly does stand up to 2000 degF temps. Good find

I think the fiberglass may melt in the direct flame. I have it wrapped around my alcohol stove but it's below the flame jets. Seeing as it's glass, would it melt like normal glass at 1000 degC or is it specially made for high-temps?

This isn't insulation but it decreases the amount of fuel used to heat it up in the first place.
    http://www.msrgear.com/cookware/heatex.asp

I don't know if it is worth its weight in fuel saved on a short two day trip. It is worth it on longer trips.

Put a windscreen around and a reflector under your pot and stove. decreases fuel used and decreases stove sink into the snow.
    http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/reflector.asp

You can make screens from thin aluminum sheet. A more fragile one can be made from aluminum foil over cardboard or coroplast. (plastic cardboard)
    Or you can just buy them in outdoor stores.
    If you want to be old you had better learn to be tough, because life is tough. It's even tougher if you are stupid.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.chesney View Post
    Increase thermal efficiency of stove/pot, reduce fuel and subsequently, weight.

That's the basic idea here. I have a thin-walled titanium pot that acts as the best darn radiator of heat you've seen. Trouble is I want the heat to stay in my water and not get dispersed into the winter air. So I'm trying to find a material to wrap the pot exterior with that will insulate it from the winter air. It must be fireproof due to the fire below. Some interesting metrics: alcohol stove flames reach 650-750 degC, campfires can reach 1000 degC. Glass melts at about 1000 degC.

Idea one was a 1/4" ceramic fire blanket. These things can take 1300 degC sustained. After discussing it, however, I was reminded it is fibrous and while not as bad as asbestos, if it gets in my food or water... it'll get into me and cause some nifty problems.

Idea two, directly off the previous conversation, is a double boiler. Somehow wrap a second wall around the first, separated by air (not a windscreen) and secure it to the base and top rims.

Idea three is... you guys. Let's see if we can pool resources and come up with another idea.
    mabe try wraping it in a micro-wave gel heat pack, they obsorb heat , hold it and release it very slowly, so a stew pot some water the gel pack and your water pot in the center.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Well, trying to keep the weight down as well. So bringing another pot would be out of the question. Doublewall would only work if it was aluminum or lighter and because it's pre-attached.. no mucking with multiple pieces.