Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimalist, no-trace alternatives?

Default Minimalist, no-trace alternatives?

Going over my pack to optimize it, trying to fit in some creature comforts for long treks without the added weight or losing touch with nature, and I'm trying some new things. Modifications of existing equipment, creation of new ones using simple items, etc

1) Trail Coffee
    Commonly called Cowboy Coffee, but I don't want to give credit to cowboys for this, all you do is add grounds to boiling water. Let the water sit and the grounds will sink and it cools. Pour/drink.

2) Alternative to toilet paper
    Without that whole shenanigan thread from last year, I'm trying to find a sanitary alternative to packing in/out toilet paper, moist towelettes, etc. This one may be tricky.

3) Washing clothes on the trail
    Since you don't wash your big sleeping bag or puffy jacket, all you're concerned about is the undergarments that get stinky/unsanitary. 2+ gallon ziplog bag (reusable... make it heavy-duty), add water, camp soap, and your dirties. Shake/agitate and let sit. Rinse.

4) Hobo backpacking stove for winter or wet grounds
    Found a simple can just smaller than my Snow Peak Trek 900. Orient the open side topwards. Cut an inverted triangle from the top ring to 3/4 the way down. Be sure to keep that top ring whole! It provides stability and support. Now cut a couple nickle-sized holes an inch or so from the bottom around the can, leaving an inch or so between each. Voila! Start building your tinder fire and then add your pot. because the can is whole for an inch or so from the bottom, you can place it in the snow or on wet ground without fear of extinguishing the coals. Heck, until you put a pot on you could float it in the bathtub! When done, scatter the ashed and store by nesting it inside your pot

I'll be coming up with some more alternatives to giving up comforts on the trail. Stay tuned
    Last edited by MCBushbaby; 12-23-2008 at 02:58 PM.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

The cowboy coffee really wouldn't be a good name for it even though some do call it that because people in eastern europe and the middle east have been drinking their coffee like that for thousands of years and still do to this day. Sometimes it is referred to as turkish coffee.

Blog Entries

Cool Not a "Cowboy" I guess...

Don't drink coffee; don't like it! I drink lots & lots of Iced sweet tea. Drink it right out of a hard-plastic Nalgene bottle too! Here's the recipe. For each Nalgene bottle you use 2 cups of water & 1 Lipton family size tea bag. If I'm making enough tea for more than 1 bottle I'll add an extra tea bag. I put the bags right in the cold water, then heat it to boiling, bags & all. This makes it really strong! (WARNING: Caffeine Alert!) While the tea is heating I fill each Nalgene bottle to the rim with ice. When I'm done boiling the tea I strain out the bags, squeezing out every drop! Then I stir in 2 to 3 cups of sugar until it's totally dissolved. Finally I measure at least 2 cups of tea into each bottle. The hot tea melts some of the ice & usually fills the bottle. Remember, Tea quenches thirst, coffee aggravates it!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Ah, but I need that bite in the morning to get me going. I'll try the tea idea but I don't particularly like the idea of packing out used tea bags.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

As Sarge said tea is good for quenching thirst. However, its even better if it is not too strong. weak cold tea is very refreshing on a hot day. but it is an acquired tates. Try it out.
    j
    Walk softly upon the earth!

Blog Entries

Cool Yeah, but...

Strong tea is my way of getting as close as I can to coffee! BTW, Mitch, you don't have to pack out the tea bags; simply tear open the bags and scatter the ORGANIC/BIO-DEGRADABLE tea leaves onto the ground, then either burn the bags or crush them up into really small balls & the space the take up is very minimal. However, I'm not "dissing" coffee, most everyone; especially Americans, like drinking it! I'm just one of those strange ones that have a horrible dislike to the taste! Go figure!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Mmm,, Sarge, a curmudgeon AND a non coffee drinker?
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Bush tea for me, as long as I can remember...there was always a pot of tea by the fire.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I'm just one of those strange ones
    Now that explains a lot!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.chesney View Post

1) Trail Coffee
    Commonly called Cowboy Coffee, but I don't want to give credit to cowboys for this, all you do is add grounds to boiling water. Let the water sit and the grounds will sink and it cools. Pour/drink.

2) Alternative to toilet paper
    Without that whole shenanigan thread from last year, I'm trying to find a sanitary alternative to packing in/out toilet paper, moist towelettes, etc. This one may be tricky.

1) A loose tea ball actually works pretty well for course ground coffee, bot the water has to be boiling when you pour it into(an over) your tea ball.

2) What? You don't like the poop tube? http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Poop-Tube

What I have been doing for years is the "cat-hole, TP, and lighter fluid trick"

Dig your cat hole, Poop, wipe, a little lighter fluid/white gas onto the tp and light it. When out, bury the mess. Hint: Stand UPWIND of the brown smoke
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

Quote Originally Posted by Badawg View Post
    What I have been doing for years is the "cat-hole, TP, and lighter fluid trick"
    Poop tube (giggles) and dry bag aside, I think I like the lighter fluid idea the best. Would HEET alcohol work as well? Would save me from carrying multiple fuel types

Burning TP in the bush can be a bad idea. Tickets/fines and people who don't know how to control the fire are two of the primary reasons I can think of that it's a bad idea, but hey, if you want to be the one burning down acres of pristine forestland or polluting it with the stench of burning fecal matter, go right ahead. If I have to smell it I'm probably going to let my akita make the point that it's a bad idea. Just my .02.

You can buy freaking bio-degradeable teabags on the tea isle in the grocery store. You may pay a little more, but you can bury them and be clear of conscience that you contributed trash to the environemnt. Just don't burn your damn toilet paper to make up for that little assistance to mother nature.

And, what do you have against cowboys, padnuh?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Why not stick with "natural" toilet paper? Leaves, grasses, and such.

In the winter that's a bit tough

You can always do what the Romans did..... sponge on a stick and a container of vinegar to disinfect it. Just remember ..... don't use the vinegar on your salad afterwards...UGH!

I thought it was saltwater? Anyways, nah, I'll pass on the sponge. I have no problem taking a **** in the woods, I'm just trying to find an alternative to packing toilet paper or other disposables. Something reusable, something like a teflon cloth that is totally ****-proof. heh, if only there was such a thing.

Default the poop tube!

hmm, random
    Last edited by MCBushbaby; 07-18-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Don't laugh, I hiked with a guy once that used a home made poop tube made from PVC pipe. It was summer, and you can imagine the stink after 3 days. I stuck with digging a hole.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.chesney View Post
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

neh neh neh neh neh neh neh
    neh neh neh neh neh neh neh

Poop tube! Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum. Poop tube...

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...oilet-3724.cfm
    Multi use bucket??? What on earth would you use it for after using it for the intended purpose????
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

almost looks like you could use it as a thermos (sick!?). Almost looks doublewalled