Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: wrong answer

Blog Entries

klkak,

Doug, don't ever drive across Bodenburg creek on the ice. I'm telling you this from experience.

I see, you like me, may, just maybe, may have broken through the ice. Once or twice.LOL......

Been there, done that, had alot of fun.

As far as the 4x4 gear, I always carried too much. He ll, when I took the gear out of the Jeep, Blazer, or truck, darn thing raised by 4 inches.

And yes, there was always an old shotgun with two boxes of rounds stored somewhere in the vehicle.

You learn alot when you drive across the good ol USA living out of the back of a pickup.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    klkak,

I see, you like me, may, just maybe, may have broken through the ice. Once or twice.LOL......

Been there, done that, had allot of fun.

As far as the 4x4 gear, I always carried too much. He ll, when I took the gear out of the Jeep, Blazer, or truck, darn thing raised by 4 inches.

And yes, there was always an old shotgun with two boxes of rounds stored somewhere in the vehicle.

You learn allot when you drive across the good ol USA living out of the back of a pickup.
    Last winter I tried to drive across Bodenburg creek in my T-100. The ice broke in a perfect rectangle the exact dimensions of my truck. The ice was 6 inches thick. It should have held. I chopped ice for 3 hours with an Estwing carpenters hatchet. Then sacrificed my ATV loading ramps to get my front end over the ice shelf. I learned my lesson well.

One of the reasons I have such a big ATV is to carry all my stuff. My extended cab Toyota T-100 is effectively a one seater. When it is completely empty with a full tank of gas plus me, it weights 4400 pounds. With all my stuff and myself in it, it weights 4800 pounds.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

so you only carry 10 pounds of gear? speaking from experience i would carry more gear than that in the wilds

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default For the machinized off-roaders

Boy this turned into a long thread...here's a little story from the Yukon about one guys off-road "adventure" this fall.
    Guy's wife is away for almost 3 weeks. He goes off in his 4x4 truck on some old unmaintained mining road, equipped with tent, sleeping bag, food for 3 days and his dog. There are some creeks to cross, which he does, until, 47km from the highway, he gets the truck royally stuck. H can't get the truck out, hasn't let anyone know where he was headed and knows that he won't be missed before his wife gets back (in almost 3 weeks). So what does he do? Walk out? After all, for a halfway fit person, this would be an easy 2day walk, for someone physically unfit maybe a week or ten days.
    No, he's heard that if you're in trouble, best stay put! So he does. For 3 weeks. Pitches his tent by the truck, extends his food to last about a week, and then proceeds to lose some of his beer gut and starves his dog. Search and rescue gets mobilized when TDW gets back, and after helicoptering around the countryside and spending x amount of tax payer money, they find the dude at his his campspot.
    He was neither physically handicapped or ill, nor so underequipped that his life would have been endangered by walking out, nor was there any chance of getting lost (he came in on an old road). He was just too frigging lazy to set one foot in front of the other and walk out. What a total loser.
    Actions speak louder than words

Indecision, is as deadly as a foolish decision.

Blog Entries

A few more days and his Gene pool would have been cleaned up a bit.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!