Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wrong answer

Default wrong answer

ok folks bet no one will get this
    you are out in the bush this is an emergency situation day trip only, your vehicle(jeep, snow machine quad , boat< ) what have you broke down and no way of communication with the world. what are your first three steps? it doesn't matter weather could be any month of the year, in any situation except floating in the middle of a large body of water(which means you can't see land) you have done due dilligence folks know when you are supposed to return but you left a broad but general area of where you will be. you have until the end of the day to complete this assingment
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Stop and assess the situation. Take stock of everything I have. Make a plan.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

thats really just one step crash what three differnt steps do you take

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks to all the gear I always lug around with me, I'd be happily telling the one little voice inside my head that's always complaining about bringing so much stuff "see, I told you so!". Then I'd set up a lean-to shelter in an area that's visible from the lake (where my sweetie would be coming from to look for me), wander around a bit, later make a nice dinner with the army rations I have with me, and (highly unlikely because my bf would be looking for me soon) then bundle up in the extra clothin and blanket and go to sleep when it gets dark.
    If I were to capsize out on the lake with my kayak, no big panic either. I never cross large patches of open water when the waves are too high for re-entry into the boat, so I'd either be close enough to shore to swim (I'm always wearing my drysuit) and tow the boat behind, or I'd just do the self-rescue, climb back in and continue on my way. Ah, the beauty of going unmotorized!!
    Actions speak louder than words

Well, if I got where I am because of a vehicle I'm going to try to fix it, if that's not possible I'm going to build a comfy shelter and a fire and inventory what my current resources are. Then I'll access some water and food. That's three steps, right?

Option 2

I'm really well equipped with food, water, axe, rifle. Make a shelter and gather some firewood for tonight Pace of a reasonably sized piece of land and start cutting logs. Claim squatter's rights and just live there. That's three steps also right

Option 3

Curse my Creator for getting myself into this situation because I certainly can't take responsibility for my own mistakes. Wander around in circles kicking trees and screaming because I think that's what you're supposed to do when you're panicking. Cry my little eyes out because WarEagle isn't there to show me the way home. Again...three things.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Ok folks, bet no one will get this.

You are out in the bush; this is an emergency situation day trip only. Your vehicle (jeep, snow machine, quad, boat) what have you? Broke down and no way of communication with the world. What are your first three steps? It could be any month of the year, in any situation except floating in the middle of a large body of water(which means you can't see land) you have done due diligence, folks know when you are supposed to return but you left a broad but general area of where you will be. You have until the end of the day to complete this assignment.
    Ok, I play along.

1. I'll stop for a bit and take a long look at the situation while making some coffee and having a bite to eat.

2. I'll take stock of what I have with me and and decide what I can use each item for.

3. Because my folks know generally where I am and when I’m to return. I’m going to stay put. I’ll do whatever I can to make myself look as big as possible, while preparing a place to spend the night in.

I've been in this situation a time or two. It don't do no good to get all excited and run around like a chicken with it's head cut off.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

you almost hit on it, i'' give a bit more time

1) Make a fire.
    2) Make something to eat and drink.
    3) Torch vehicle to create mega smoke.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there

atta boy finally someone hit on it. in a survival situation even with the general area known(for rescue) it is best to get signalling ready nothing worse than spending time building a shelter and watch your rescue go right on by you so get your fire , flare and whistle get ready to use all 3, if after you have your fire falre and such ready you have time to start improvising your shelter then go ahead but if you are going that deep into the wilds hopefully you have been reading the threads here for a while and have begun to understand the importance of being prepared, but always be ready to signal for help
    great job arsey

Gotta disagree. Withe the scenario that you gave, I'm sticking with my plan. As you said it's the 1st three things, not the last.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think you assess the situation first and make sure you are prepared and have everything out of your vehicle that you could use for shelter and as survival tools aside from what you are carrying. I would say then torch the vehicle to create the large amounts of smoke to be found from air or ground. Many people would want vehicle as shelter but you could build a good shelter with material you took from jeep plus what you can find. Like someone said above in that situation it is all about attracting the attention of rescuers to you.

Quote Originally Posted by primeelite View Post
    I think you assess the situation first and make sure you are prepared and have everything out of your vehicle that you could use for shelter and as survival tools aside from what you are carrying. I would say then torch the vehicle to create the large amounts of smoke to be found from air or ground. Many people would want vehicle as shelter but you could build a good shelter with material you took from jeep plus what you can find. Like someone said above in that situation it is all about attracting the attention of rescuers to you.
    I think burning the vehicle is extreme, I would burn the spare tire, or maybe a seat out of it. Burning the whole car might start more of a fire than you can outrun.
    -Sam

I doubt very seriously that I would burn the vehicle for signaling. Can I fix it? Not if I burn it. As you say, it can be used for shelter. So how to signal? If you need to, start with the spare tire. Burning rubber will give off an incredible amount of thick, black smoke and burn for a long time. If the situation warrants, you have four more tires that you can burn, one at a time. By doing this, you will be able to signal much, much longer than by torching the vehicle. Burn the vehicle, and it will burn very fast. In fact, I'm willing to bet it would last no longer than one tire, or not much longer (especially if there is gas left in the tank). By doing it this way, you still have a reliable shelter. This is why I chose the three things that I did....so I would not make a quick decision that may work, but have better options available.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    atta boy finally someone hit on it. in a survival situation even with the general area known(for rescue) it is best to get signalling ready nothing worse than spending time building a shelter and watch your rescue go right on by you so get your fire , flare and whistle get ready to use all 3, if after you have your fire falre and such ready you have time to start improvising your shelter then go ahead but if you are going that deep into the wilds hopefully you have been reading the threads here for a while and have begun to understand the importance of being prepared, but always be ready to signal for help great job arsey
    I said that.
    Because my folks know generally where I am and when I’m to return. I’m going to stay put. I’ll do whatever I can to make myself look as big as possible, while preparing a place to spend the night in.
    In other words (Make my position visible)
    Last edited by klkak; 12-12-2008 at 09:04 PM.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

you are quite correct klkak you get to share top honors
    crash can you explain why you would not make sure getting your signal ready is the most important thing to do in a survival situation?

while i agree torching a vehicle maybe extreme so is dying so whatever it takes to make sure thatsearch and rescue can find you is a go in my book, the quad or jeep can be replaced besides if you talt to the jeep heads you can torch a jeep and still drive it

Never said it wasn't near the top of the list. If I just torch the vehicle I've lost the ability to signal tomorrow. If I torch the vehicle I've lost the ability to use the mirrors to signal. If I torch the vehicle I've lost the ability to use the horn to signal. Just because I take the time to assess the situation and formulate a plan does not mean I will not signal. You asked for the first three things I would do. I gave em to you. If you went with the torching of the vehicle right away before formulating a plan and rescue did not occur within 6 hours or so, you have decreased your ability to signal, thereby decreasing your ability to become rescued and to survive. Out of the 100 or so steps I would probably take in fairly short order, I gave you the first three.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    while i agree torching a vehicle maybe extreme so is dying so whatever it takes to make sure thatsearch and rescue can find you is a go in my book, the quad or jeep can be replaced besides if you talt to the jeep heads you can torch a jeep and still drive it

That part is true, but I wouldn't do it.

well you must have misunderstood i did not say torch a vehicle what i said was torching a vehicle was a great way to signal, reread post no.9 i said to get these ways of signaling ready so if you hear a plane or ground rescue coming you are prepared to use whatever signal methods you have, most folks want to build a shelter or satrt gathering firewood which is great but to be building a fire and have rescue go by a 1000 yards away because they could not see you is not being prepared what i suggest while getting your fire going id great but get your signal fires ready or any means of signaling then if time permits get your shelter ready

S stop
    T think
    O observe
    P plan
    to me all the same action- the most important action but then what