Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Hi, I'm from the great, marginally corrupt state of Illinois. I've joined since I've always been a lover of the outdoors, and am now planning a rather long backpacking trip somewhere (destination... still working that one out...), and figured I could certainly use some advice. I've been lurking a bit now, and you guys seem to know your stuff, so I hope a little bit will rub off.

Like I said, I'm looking to go backpacking, and just want to take a couple years off and enjoy my 20s before they're gone. I suppose I could do that in Vegas, of course, but I chose backpacking and roughing it since I feel it's something I'll have to do to really appreciate life, and all those little conveniences that I'd otherwise take for granted, and to get my head straight since I can't say I'm rather content with the culture I've found myself in. I could use a few months/years on the trail. Plus I'm a bit lazy, a bit spoiled, and a bit too proud and could use a good dose of perspective. I've found mother nature tends to be good at delivering in those terms.

My background is I was in the BSA, but didn't quite make Eagle Scout. I've been camping a number of times, but not lately since there just isn't good camp ground out here, so I've got a lot of work to do to get ready. I plan on packing it up in about a year (probably wait for spring), so I've got plenty of time to prepare, but no where to do it!

I guess I could use help in figuring out what to learn and where/how to do it. I've studied wilderness survival over the years, but other than orienteering I've not had the chance to practice any of it, so it's mostly just book knowledge. A lot of my BSA experience wasn't exactly survival-oriented so I'm not sure, other than building a fire or a basic lean-to, what use it will be in an extended back country stay.

Right now, I'm thinking of maybe hiking the Appalachian Trail, but I'd still like to learn basic skills and not have to rely on always stopping at a town to get supplies. I'll probably end up going alone, so it's all the more important I get confident in my abilities beforehand.

My list of things to learn so far:
    - archery
    - bow/arrow construction
    - shooting (have some experience, but hardly enough)
    - plant ID
    - camp setup
    - snares/traps/etc

and then just any old useful knowledge. Feel free to be critical of that list or add to it or just say hi back

Welcome brother Scout, I'm sure your prepared to learn more! Your in the right place.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Welcome aboard.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Welcome to the forum!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

welcome to home

welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum.

hola and welcome to the form

Welcome.... .this is a great spot to learn.

Welcome,
    What portion of the Appalachian Trail are you looking at traversing. I've done the entire trail (in sections) and am partia; to the New England portion. I would also reccomend the Rockies and the Grand Canyon.
    The real question is what gear do you already have and then we can help you from that point on.

Banned
    Blog Entries

welcome..............

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Welcome,
    What portion of the Appalachian Trail are you looking at traversing. I've done the entire trail (in sections) and am partia; to the New England portion. I would also reccomend the Rockies and the Grand Canyon.
    The real question is what gear do you already have and then we can help you from that point on.
    I was thinking about taking a year off and doing the whole thing. But I certainly wanted to start up north and see how I liked it before committing, maybe spend a bit in the Adirondacks first. I also was thinking about then going to the Rockies. I've noticed there's a ton of wilderness in Idaho, although I don't know anything about the area, and I've always wanted to trek through Washington.

Gear? Effectively nothing. It's been a long time since I've properly camped and I want to get new stuff anyway, since most of it is heavily used from my BSA days (and just plain heavy). I think my first order of business is getting some footwear so I can at least do some short hikes around the local parks.