Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: fire or shelter?

Default fire or shelter?

O.K. people which do you think is more important, fire or shelter. Let's here from the forum members before I give my opinion.

reluctantpawn

I am going to go with shelter. Staying out of the weather keeps a person warmer (or cooler if you live where I do) and helps to give the ole brain a sense of security.

Setting up camp for me is always shelter first, fire second.

Generally speaking shelter first if possible, even a hole is shelter of sorts.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

shelter 2345
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Shelter first. You can then build a small fire in your shelter or outside your shelter.

shelter.It can help block the wind, rain ,snow and so on to help get your fire going.
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

Shelter by far. With a shelter I can keep me and my gear dry and warmer/colder than if I were out in the wild. With a shelter you are also protected from many predators in the area and you have a place to base everything out of that won't get destroyed by weather continues such as a fire would.

I agree: shelter. It can keep you dry (important in cold weather) or cooler (in the desert).
    Last edited by bulrush; 12-11-2008 at 12:43 PM.

shelter,and you can make a fire in side if its raining

On a 100+ sunny day do you need a fire?...
    but you just went through the ice -15c, got yourself out, now shelter or fire?
    Depends on the situation doesn't it.
    Generally a well chosen shelter first.

If You Went Through The Ice I Would Billed Afire And Shelter And Keep Moving Or Hypo. Will Set In And You Will Die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

If you went through the ice: gather fire items (tinder, kindling, wood and grasses) stomp down an area lay grasses to stand on, build a fire, then a shelter, gather whatever "isolation" layer under you and strip down to undies or less (whatever) wring out clothes, (wool can be re-worn near fire) and dry them by the fire using shelter as a wind/snow break. Make tea (hot water), drink and thank Creator for getting out and having woollies on.
    PS Don't step back into another hole

Depends (not the underware). In most cases shelter. As a couple have said, if you went through the ice fire would be my top priority.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

This is a real toss-up (I'm trying real hard not to say depends).

In wet/cold if it isn't still raining or I took a dunk I'd say big'ole fire, right now.

If wet/cold and it's still raining I'd create enough of a shelter to make a big'ole fire real soon.

If it was dry/cold I'd make a big'ole fire right now and then construct a shelter taking note of the wind conditions. It's nice to have a big fire to get warm.

In warm wet, like rainy season in Brazil, I typically work on my shelter first because a good shelter will keep you from getting soaked all night. That said if you don't have dry clothes to change into (sweats in a dry bag) then you WILL need a fire to get dry enough to stay warm. If you can dry your clothes and sleep in a shelter you'll be fine. If you don't dry your only set of clothes you will be miserable all night. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

It does depend on the situation but I'd say shelter would almost always come first. If it is raining, A fire won't keep you dry, and it may be hard to build one or keep it going in rain or wet weather. And a good debris shelter with a lot of bedding and thatch should keep you pretty warm. A fire always helps though.

As some have said it is hard to say, it would depend on the situation. In the winter, fall through the ice, then fire, summer, spring, fall, regardless, would probably go for shelter.

Depends on the situation- a normal emergency being lost in the forest requires shelter first. If you fall into ice a quick fire should obviosuly be important along with shelter. But blizzards and such require shelter first. I always prepare shelters first when setting up camp no matter what.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

too many variables to say. any answer can be picked apart with ya but what if- not a fair question
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Im going to have to go with Fire.

Blog Entries

Well since I'm a multi tasker, don't really matter. I'm going to have both.

And if I fall through the ice and manage to get out alive, going to strip down, dry off, and wrap myself in my wool blanket and make a fire, next to my shelter.

Ya know, you can actually make a shelter out of a fire. All you need is a downed tree, make the fire about 5' from the tree and get between the fire and the downfall.