Thread: Why Does It Work?

Default Why Does It Work?

Every autumn I get a bunch of chickens from tne neighbor up the road. Some are butchered and frozen - others are made into chicken soup and frozen.

Two days ago I started to feel stuffed up, sore throat, headache, sneezing, and coughs. Since then I've been on the chicken soup diet. Feeling much better.

Medical science tells us there is nothing to chicken soup as a cold remedy - yet it seems to work. Why is that?
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

I would think that it is the heat from the soup that makes people feel better. It warms up the whole body just as hot coffee or tea would. There might be another reason also such as the amount of protein in the chicken and broth to add to it but not sure.

I saw some doctors on TV answer this question earlier today. Basically what they said was that the steam helps the nasal passages and throat feel better and the soup itself is mostly water which helps fight dehydration, thus making you feel much better and helping your body fight the cold.

not to mention most chicken soups have enough salt to encourage water retention.

other than that, anything that both lifts the spirits and sates the stomach, like good and hot soup just has to help some.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Trapper

Yeah. So basically it has the same property as hot water. Or creamed spinach, except for a lot of people like it better so they say that works... Now I'm going to have to make myself a bowl... lol
    The wind blows where it chooses, and you hear the sound of it, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes.

John 3:8

Yeah continuing my earlier post, I think it is a combination of the heat/steam of the soup along with the large amount of sodium and some protein that just makes you feel full and better.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default Chickens

Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    Every autumn I get a bunch of chickens from tne neighbor up the road. Some are butchered and frozen - others are made into chicken soup and frozen.

Two days ago I started to feel stuffed up, sore throat, headache, sneezing, and coughs. Since then I've been on the chicken soup diet. Feeling much better.

Medical science tells us there is nothing to chicken soup as a cold remedy - yet it seems to work. Why is that?
    I gave up chicken. Watched them make Chicken McNuggets at MickyDs. They take the whole chickens and throw them in a wood chipper and that just ain't right paying for feathers & chicken lips but the soup does work for some strange reason.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

tell me about it; i'm making chili manzańa with pork. whole different formula, same beautiful cure.
    Last edited by canid; 12-10-2008 at 11:48 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Something that taste as good as chicken soup, home made with all the trim, how could you not feel good...............Maybe somethings just aren't supposed to be explained...

All the above helps, but also there were several studies(1 from Harvard Med) that point at the cartilage in a chicken as having a beneficial effect.
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

polysacharides of some sort?

similar conclusions have been drawn and/or evidenced in immunology studies involving those from shark cartilage.

I prefer what we call a 'Hot toddy' up here. mix 1/4 cup whiskey with 1 or 2 spoons of honey. Pour in boiling water. Add sugar to taste and enjoy.

Im not a big fan of alcohol, but this seems to work for me and thats why i reccomend it.
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Badawg, Canid are spot on, there are factors in the chicken broth other than just the heat and steam that are beneficial.
    The hot toddy well that just makes the interim wait that more relaxing.

Well I'd recommend wild rabbit in place of the chicken or roast muskrat. You'll feel better
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

I prefer what we call a 'Hot toddy' up here. mix 1/4 cup whiskey with 1 or 2 spoons of honey. Pour in boiling water. Add sugar to taste and enjoy.
    Several of them, won't cure you humdrums, but you won't care.

Old grandmother receipt. Very hot lemonade made with REAL lemons. It worked for me and on my kids.
    Last edited by Beans; 12-29-2008 at 07:53 PM.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared