Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilderness Survival Help Needed

Default Wilderness Survival Help Needed

"Welcome to the Jungle Baby...your going to die!"

My wife is planning on taking me to some wild place known as the Big Apple in March. I am a little anxious as this is WAY out of my comfort zone, and I am not well versed in this style of survival. What should I be doing to prepare, what should I take, and how should I interact with all the wild ape like creatures that inhabitat this foreign land?
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Banned
    Blog Entries

Confucius say, "Musher who go to BIG apple, should take apple peeler".

An apple peeler....good idea....I think that is what Bernhard Getz called his too.

I was thinking about taking a whip so I could go all indiana jones on would-be-bad guys. But, maybe it makes more sense to be more getz-like than jones-like

So an apple peeler it is.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Just be aware of your surroundings. Walk with confidence. Make eye contact but only for a second just to let someone know you are aware of them. Stay out of alleys, walk away from the buildings. Move and do everything like you have a reason and don't open your mouth looking up at the tall buildings. I spent a year there working for a month. Just like any East Coast city.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post
    An apple peeler....good idea....I think that is what Bernhard Getz called his too.

I was thinking about taking a whip so I could go all indiana jones on would-be-bad guys. But, maybe it makes more sense to be more getz-like than jones-like

So an apple peeler it is.
    You could go like Crocodile Dundee ,carry a big knife
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Just enjoy it. Go see a Broadway show, there is nothing quite like it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

I was there 50 years ago, on a sixth grade field trip. To a kid raised on a dairy farm, NYC was like when all to cows are all packed into the paddock because the pastures are flooded. I got five dollars say's it ain't changed much.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    I was there 50 years ago, on a sixth grade field trip. To a kid raised on a dairy farm, NYC was like when all to cows are all packed into the paddock because the pastures are flooded. I got five dollars say's it ain't changed much.
    If someone asks you 'what time is it?' just tell the it's time for them to get a watch. Years ago this used to be a ploy to get you to look at your watch, and then you would get jumped. Just be confident and watch your six. You will like the Museums there.
    -Sam

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's terrible, Jason...bring ear plugs to shut out the noise and get sleep. Accost people who are walking their dogs and ask if you can pet them (the dogs). Bring pictures of home and look at them often, consoling yourself that you'll return there soon.
    IMPORTANT: wear clean, new clothes without dog hair or sawdust on them to avoid being followed by department store security. Maybe get a hair cut and shave.
    Actions speak louder than words

I'm sorry man, I thought your wife loved you. Why is she making you do this?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post
    "Welcome to the Jungle Baby...your going to die!"

My wife is planning on taking me to some wild place known as the Big Apple in March. I am a little anxious as this is WAY out of my comfort zone, and I am not well versed in this style of survival. What should I be doing to prepare, what should I take, and how should I interact with all the wild ape like creatures that inhabitat this foreign land?
    the people are great and always willing to help, but usually keep to them selves.
    just don't do what Giants player Plaxico Burress done, or you'll be in NY for a long time, only very rich people can get away with carring a gun or a jack knife.

All I can say is Good Luck......

Use lots of urban camo! Turn your hat sideways, let your boxers hang out, shoe laces untied on your new brand name sneakers, tank top, and look everyone in the eye and ask "wassup?" Nobody will ever guess you're from the sticks

......or you could just bring all of your dogs. Nobody will mess with you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

mas huervous me compadre won't catch me doing that had enough of city life. i told this story once before but back in the 90's my first wife was on a photo shoot /audition for a soap opera. i was working in monument valley. me alone in the middle of nowhere happy her in the big apple in a limo happy gee i wonder why it didn't work out?
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    mas huervous me compadre won't catch me doing that had enough of city life. i told this story once before but back in the 90's my first wife was on a photo shoot /audition for a soap opera. i was working in monument valley. me alone in the middle of nowhere happy her in the big apple in a limo happy gee i wonder why it didn't work out?
    Sounds like a Green Acres episode.

Jason, my fiance' made us go there this summer and I was very very nervous about it. I used to live in Chicago, but that was a long time ago and Chicago is a lot smaller than NYC. I have to say that I was worried about nothing. As long as you use common sense and stay aware of your surroundings at all times, you will be fine. There were several times when we were wandering around looking for something with an obvious dumbfounded smalltown look on our faces and people actually stopped to ask us if they could help us find something. A homeless guy in the subway even took us to the right subway platform and showed us which train to get on when we first got there. I did not carry a weapon while there since the gun laws in NYC are rather harsh and you have to go through security everywhere you go.

So I would say go and enjoy yourself. Go to the top of the Empire State building (it is awesome at night), go to the Statue of Liberty, Times Square is way overrated, but cool to see. There are lots of great retaurants there. And if you are lonely for home, there is actually grass in central park.
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

Jason,
    "The City" is what native New Yorkers call the big apple. The museums (Museum of natural History, Gugenheim, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art) are incredible as is the mass tranit system. It's gonna be cold and wet that time of year(dress accordingly). If you were going in late spring I would reccomend tooling through Central Park. Do check out the air & space museum on the USS Intrepid . There is Broadway, Ellis Island and The Statue of Liberty. Whatever you do don't dwaldle when you walk, it's a dead give away that you're a tourist. Last but not least is the observation floor on the Empire State Building

Sarge - Move to General Survival
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I grew up on LI and I've been to the City lots of times. The people who say just be yourself and have a good time, who say that the natives are friendly but keep to themselves, who say to visit the sights and museums and such, are perfectly right. If you are a military buff, the USS Intrpid is now back in its berth after two years of overhauling.

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/

Check it out, its great!

To be honest folks, for all its bad press, New Yorkers are a very hospitable group overall.