Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions About Animal Meat

Default pulling animals from holes

Climbing after coons or porkies is a pretty easy way to get one of them. Sometimes if you shake or knock a coon out of a tree, whoever is waiting with a club at the bottom just isn't ready enough. It's best to start swinging before the coon hits the ground and then get ready to start running too. At times, an animal will go into a hole. If you can't reach in and grab his hind leg and pull him out (as long as he can't turn around), you can always find a stick or briar that can reach him, split it, push the stick against him, then just twist him out of his hole. Of course if you have a gun, and you've shot a gun once or twice, you can easily shoot the animals instead of just using sticks and your hands.

Beaver is excellent in a survival situation. Many mountain men lived off it while trapping.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FallenGun21 View Post
    Beaver is excellent in a survival situation. Many mountain men lived off it while trapping.
    Hell I enjoy a good beaver, and I ain't no mountain man.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The best one to eat would, without a doubt, be the one that you could catch. If you are lost and in the wilderness any will fill your belly.
    That's what I was going to say. Other than that the fattest one?

Beaver would definitely boost morale at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Hell I enjoy a good beaver, and I ain't no mountain man.
    But you live on the side of.............

And you're a ............

Oh, never mind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

"Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver"

Quote Originally Posted by FallenGun21 View Post
    A good quality beaver is good any time, however....if you mess with the wrong beaver, you could end up in a survival situation! LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Banned

Truth is, I cant afford beaver....

Quote Originally Posted by edr
    you can always find a stick or briar that can reach him, split it, push the stick against him, then just twist him out of his hole.
    The trouble with this method is it is illegal in many states.

In Indiana it is Illegal to:

• Remove wild animals from any cavity or den;
    • Disturb the den or nest of any animal by shooting, digging, cutting or chipping; with the aid of smoke, fire, fumes, chemicals, ferret or other small animal; or with any device introduced into the hole where the animal is sheltered
    • Use or carry tree climbing or cutting equipment for the purpose of dislodging an animal from a tree.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The trouble with this method is it is illegal in many states.

In Indiana it is Illegal to:

• Remove wild animals from any cavity or den;
    • Disturb the den or nest of any animal by shooting, digging, cutting or chipping; with the aid of smoke, fire, fumes, chemicals, ferret or other small animal; or with any device introduced into the hole where the animal is sheltered
    • Use or carry tree climbing or cutting equipment for the purpose of dislodging an animal from a tree.
    This should be the law everywhere !

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    This should be the law everywhere !
    I totally agree with you Justin and I hope I don't offend you but.

Quote Originally Posted by Manio View Post
    Now if I got lost which of these animals would be my best bet to eat and why? It's your opinion
    Anything goes.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Banned

Life or death,,, I agree, anything goes....

Of the animals listed, the beaver would supply the most and the best tasting meat, but they are quite hard to catch. The racoon would be a second in meat amount, but again are not easy to catch. Chipmunks and squirrels have little meat, but are relatively easy to catch so they'd probably be the best choice. Badger would have quite a bit of meat, but catching one, then killing it, would be a trick.
    In the North woods the easiest and meatiest animal would be the porcupine. Easy to catch and kill, lots of meat and taste good, too.
    In North America pretty much all mammals, birds and fish are edible. Many insects and larvae are also edible and there are many edible plants. Any animal you catch needs to be cooked well to prevent transmission of parasites or disease.
    And remember that edible does not mean it tastes good, only that you can eat it without getting sick and get some nutrition from it.
    As mentioned in other posts to this thread, be sure to study up on your area's fish & game laws and follow them carefully when you're out practicing, keeping in mind that in a real, true, survival situation the laws go out the window.
    Last edited by EdD270; 01-11-2011 at 08:17 PM.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

I'd go with squirrel, as the others will have a fatty'r meat and subject to
    become rancid.....chipmunk too small and likely not worth the effort as
    you may burn more calories trying to catch one than not...Sounds like
    you may need to become knowledgeable of snare wire in any case...Note;
    All the critters for'mentioned will eat you up...If'n I was lost I would 1st
    focus on the tenderest wild greens and briars...fish are easier to catch
    when it comes down to it.........hopefull helpful............................BH51

Well I have read you can literally starve to death,eating rabbit at every meal. It seems that here in civilization that Fat is frowned on in our diets, because it is so readily available. On the other hand, in the wilderness most meat is leaner than what we are accustomed to. (No Farmer fattening up the critters for market)Even cracking the bones of critters and boiling them will provide some marrow fat.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

If you've never had cooked marrow, trust me, you haven't eaten. It's some of the best stuff you will ever put in your mouth. I can't stomach it raw but baked is delicious.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I would opt for the beaver. with beaver, at least in my area that means a beaver pond, not many bank beaver here. With a beaver pond that means water, usually cattails and muskrats. I much prefer a herbivore meat to a scavenger or carnivore meat.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

the quickest way to get a beavers attention is to tear a hole in their dam. best to do it a couple hours before dark. they'll be along to fix it.