Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions About Animal Meat

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Manio View Post
    Well, isn't their any birds that are fairly easy to catch and devour?
    We have spruce hens, easy to catch or kill with a stone. Taste good.

Personally any of them would be good I myself would try for a mixed bag as sqirrel or any of the above would get old quick and I believe a mixed bag is much better neways
    sh4d0wm4573ri7

Another babe in the woods.....lol.....joking..... In any survival situation, taste of food means nothing. It might, in some, release endorphens from the brain and give you a good sense of moral----increasing your chances of survival. But from my opinion, squirrel makes an excellent pick-offf small meal that taste good with dried Sassasfras seasoning.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

Don't forget, animals are only about 30% protein; wheras insects are over 90% protein. But be sure to do research on which ones are edible in your area.
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

On the list you have, beaver is the better tasting and easiest to catch. But the best is, as others have said, porcupine...easy to catch and not to bad tasting either.

Hey Manio...rabbit, they're not really as smart as Bugs...go for rabbit. Grouse, ptarmigan, fish. If you're out trying to make yourself some wilderness gourmet meal that's one thing. If you're in a survival situation bear in mind that the food you capture has to replace more calories than what you displaced catching it or you're literally working yourself to death
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

crickets, grasshoppers, mayflys are all tasty available food sources except for maybe the mayfly. Grubs found in and under downed trees are very good with butter. Earthworms will work but aren't very tasty. Snake is very good when it deep fried and more than passible roasted. Snails like grubs are good with drawn butter. Generally in the continental US if it moves eat it.

reluctantpawn

I would think the best choice (if you have a choice) would be something with some fat content. I rember survivor-man saying that if all you ate was rabbit for weeks, that you would eventually get protein poisoning as the animal almost no fat content.

You could also carry a little cracked corn. Use it for bait and snare a pheasant. If you can’t you can always eat the corn. I’d take bugs over some of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by superior View Post
    I would think the best choice (if you have a choice) would be something with some fat content. I rember survivor-man saying that if all you ate was rabbit for weeks, that you would eventually get protein poisoning as the animal almost no fat content.
    Thats true.Ive read where trappers and indians hunted and camped together at times.The indians consumed brains,liver,heart,kidneys,blood and broke the bones to consume the marrow.The trappers however,only ate the lean meat roasted over a fire.The lack of fat in the digestive system gave them diarrea and would eventually kill them if fat of some sort wasent eaten.Not understanding this concept innocent indians were killed because none of them were getting sick and the white men thought they were being poisoned.It might take a week for the fat in our systems to be depleted.Afterwhich digestion of lean meat only can cause problems.

That is why I think the Native Americans are some of the best of the best, not Bear or Les.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

Just wondering (no offense to anyone. seriously no negatives), but those who watch television shows like Man v.s Wild or Survivorman on a regular basis, do you guys read and study survival, and practice these skills daily, or do you just watch and place information into memory and say this is what you will do when your lost? Just wondering.......I know some who watch it and study it, that's fine just wanted to know.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

I think of it more of a reality tv show. I know bear's is fake, and survivorman's i'm begining to wonder... but they are more entertaining that informitave. Although i got the magnesium flint stick idea from les, thats about all i've taken away from the show.

Blog Entries

If I trapped them one way or the other, or had the chance to shoot them, it would be the coon or the beaver.

I chose these two for their fat content. Both store way more fat than a freak'n tree rat, and as far as a badger, no thanks. Chipmunk, to me they are not worth the work.

I don't watch much tv, maybe catch Les now and then. Watched Bear a few times and realized he really is putting himself in danger, alot.

What I know, is what I have learned hands on over the years. I read about mushrooms, but will never pick them and eat them, so I never comment on them. If I do, I post "I read that."

I'm not here to try and impress anyone, really don't give a crap one way or the other. I've been doing, well, I started primitive skills back in 94 or 95. I owned my own company and also became a vendor at all the rendezvous in Georgia. Started making bows, arrows, flintknapping, had already been throwing, made all my clothes, tanned many of my own deer, hog, badger, fox, and otter skins. Competed not very successfully in fire making contests at the pow wows and rendezvous, could make a fire, but others were faster.

Then I pull information from years ago when I spent 3 years as a Recon Marine, venturing to the deserts, mountains, cold weather climates and jungles.

Old farts will remember, when Bear first came on the scene and did a jungle adventure, I wondered why, or how, he could spend days in the jungle and not get diaper rash, foot rot, or chaved skin during his stint in the jungle. Why, because he stayed in hotels we found out.

Spend 3 plus days in the jungle, wet all the time and come out without rot, yeh right. Even Les adressed this in his show.

Bear is a boot.
    Last edited by FVR; 12-23-2008 at 12:49 AM.

Default climbing trees after porcupines

More often then not, when you run after a porcupine he runs up the tree before you can get to him. You can either watch him go and you stay hungry or...you can go after him, chase him to to the tiny top branches, bent the branch over with your weight and shake like heck. Porcupine falls and someone on the ground clubs him. Dead porcupine. Tall oaks that grow in thick woods are best for this. Prior experience with the top thin branches is recommended. If you're out to get yourself killed then do the same thing with a pine or ash. Branch breaks, porcupine falls, you fall, you're dead, porcupine runs off, end of game.

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

OR... you fall off, land on porcupine, soft landing, kill porcupine, eat porcupine, remove quills from @$$ and lower back.

Default deduct points

haha Uh oh....gotta deduct game points for that one. At least you gain a sustaining meal that has the delicate flavor of a crappy old pine tree. Extra points awarded for those who know how to make it taste good...I don't.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I don't know what area you would be in but squirrels are everywhere as rabbits. Catch one possum and you'll have enough grease for your little red wagon also. If you get hungry enough the Southbound end of a Northbound skunk would be mighty tasty.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Oppusum meat taste and roasts like steak with lots of fat, I remember the flavor. They are easy to catch.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

Default porcupines, racoons, oppossums, skunks

Yes, Coot, deer squirrel and rabbit are my first choices. Yes, it depends on the scenerio and how hungry you are. I wanted to say that porcupine can be an easy kill without weapons and even if it climbs a tree. With coons in a tree you need a big boot or stick. They can stand their ground. As far as the skunks go....haha they scare me more than climbing after a porcupine. I know older people who claimed they have removed skunks from basements by sitting and feeding them marshmallows then picking them up quickly by the tail and they couldn't lift the tail and spray.....hmmm....I dunno....maybe....I'm not that brave. More often than not, they still spray if you blow their head off. My father would catch skunks in live traps and slowly pull them to a pond a hundred yards away, drown them then skin them....they never sprayed him. He cautioned me to never lift the tail of a dead skunk because they still spray even when dead.
    Jericho, we have possums here too, but never used to have them. I've walked up to them as they waddle away and picked them up by the back of the neck, held them up and looked at them....they don't do nothin. I've been told they are good with stuffing and sweet potatoes. How do they survive? They're like a Dodo bird.