Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound off, where is everyone from?

Default Sound off, where is everyone from?

I figured it would be interesting to find out where everyone is from to get a better understanding of the skills each of us may have. So if you could just comment with your location, and a discription of the area that would be cool. I live here in Melbourne FL (central FL on the east coast.) Here we have swamps, rivers,(fresh and brackish) wetlands, ocean, beach, and wods. We also have some dry areas with white sugar sand all over the place but I'm forgetting the name for some reason.

We live in northeast Alabama. We're on a part of the Appalachian mountain range. There's the Tennessee River/Lake Guntersville not far from the house. We live on an 8 acre farm. There's "supposed" to be a pond and a creek runs along the one boundary.

I live in Madison, Ohio. Right on Lake Erie. We have of course the lake and woods. There is also one swamp nearby but I have not yet seen it. Just moved here not to long ago.

Smile Canadian member...

Hi Thinkfree, good idea for a post. I live up in Ontario Canada, about a mile away from the mighty Ottawa River. There are forests here, mountains, cedar swamps, open fields, ponds, creeks and two long sandy wild beach areas. We even have a little lake in the middle of our city. I've caught Walleyes, LMBass, SMBass, Musky, Black Crappies, Bluegills, Perch, Rock Bass, and Carp from this 400 acre lake. I've harvested many Cattail meals from it's NE shoreline too as well as Wild Raspberrys and Fiddleheads, in season. I spend a lot of time in the boonies and I have loved the outdoors deeply, for over 40 years now. It helps me to get or keep my head straight, when society tries to dump on me.

Larry

Jackson, MS to the woods of Claiborne County, MS.
    With Christ, all things are possible.

i live in oklahoma next to lake eufala to the south is the kiamichi mountains,eastern oklahoma is full of wildlife, theres wildhogs,deer,bear,mountainlions,smallgame and plenty of creeks and rivers to fish . some people have seen bigfoot around here. woodsey

Well I live in Stanton California. We have crime, Motel 6's, a beach about 10 miles down the road. Smog. We have a couple of parks with benches and nice cut grass. I know it isn't much like what all of you fine folks have but I can go visit the wild. Which I do quite often. Love this site.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. I spend all of my free time from work backpacking. No shortage of mountains to climb.

I live in Northern Michigan. There are swamps, mature hardwood forests, jackpine forests (constructs of the DNR to help the Kirtland Warbler, an endangered bird), abandoned farming plots and clear-cuts turned fields and meadows, a multitude of small lakes (I live in walking distance of 4), and, of course the shorelines of 4 of the big 5. In Northern Michigan there is an odd mix of inexperienced urban boys coming in to hunt deer and help raise the number of annual hunting accidents, crazy off-the-grid woodticks, Militia men (again, mostly crazy), LOTS of retired folk, and then a little bit of every other type. There are few places in Michigan that are truly virgin wilderness. Almost the entire state was logged at one point or another. However, most of this occurred 100-200 years ago, and many forests are reaching maturity now. You can be in the middle of nowhere and find the rusted out corpse of an abandoned snowmobile, or a 2-track cut in for logging years ago, or for fire access. Animals are moving into more urban areas, and plenty of trash can be found in the woods. Most of this gets buried or breaks down into nothing, but some of it doesn't. Signs of people camping illegally can be found as well as party spots for highschoolers. Beer cans, old condoms, and firepits can be found in the remotest places merely because they are remote and people use them to get away from pesky watching eyes from time to time. Sadly, they often don't clean up after themselves. People often fish and hunt illegally here, and with the raise in the price of both types of licenses, it can only be expected to become more frequent. Many businesses depend on the annual surge of business deer season brings them, and the first day of deer season there is no school for fear of shooting kids (people are crazy and stupid and drunk the first day), and many of the kids want to hunt as well. I could go on, but I think that gives you a good feel for Northern Michigan.
    BSM

Mansfield in the UK... far from any kind of wilderness and any kind of dangerous animal!

We live in West Tennessee

I live in central PA. Heavily wooded with rivers and ponds and much wildlife.

wishbone

Western Indiana is where I am now and it is the place I call home..... but I have lived in Ky northern and central TN, The swamps of LA and the deserts of CA... I have also lived in Egypt, GA and FL (for a few weeks)

In case you ahve not figured it out I was int he ARMY and they tend to move ya around alot... some of the places I listed were just for a month or two for training and Ranger school.
    The object of war is not to die for your country... but to make the other poor basterd die for his.
    General George S Patton

I live in northeast Missouri. Right on the Mississippi River. I have many small rivers and lots of woods to wonder around in. bear

I live in central Pennsylvania, we don't have anything extremly intresting but I love the woods, and forests, the Appalachian MTns are right in my back yard so mtn biking or hiking isn't very far away. PLus if I want the Adirondack's are fairly close too.

new york and at ready acess to wildness lots of forests rivers

I live in the hills of eastern Kentucky,right in the middle of the Daniel Boone National Forest.I live in an area full of high cliffs, deep gorges,a huge river, a nice lake,both hardwood and conifer forests, and all kinds of "critters". My dog and I are constantly taking two and three day "excursions" by ourselves out in these wild areas.Wild man's paradise.

Blog Entries

Default N. Georgia

at the start of the mountains.

Right across the street is deer, hog, bear, trout, and turkey hunting. Try to do primitive treks back up in the mountains every now and then.

i live in MA, it wouldnt be so great if i didnt have these awsome woods behind my house! were going to build wig-wam houses there!!!

I used to live in New York right now Im in Alabama but in a few days I will be moving back to Tennessee..what fustrates me most is when I get used to one plantlife I move and have to figure out new ones...but I do know what alot of plants are...