Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Throwing Sticks

i use various types of rabbit stick, and practice with them often for fun. you ought to be able to hit a mark out to 60 ft, and you ought to be able to get to within 60-30 ft of hare, pheasant, grouse, even turkey.

i almost stepped on a jackrabbit the other day before it bolted, because i was looking for something and not paying attention.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Glad you folks can hit something with one. I probably could if I held it in my hand, otherwise I couldn't hit a bull in the rear end with a bass fiddle if I was man enough to throw it.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

well i'm sure the tree limbs and stumps i practice on are more patient than game animals, but i'm confident that in an area with a lot of such critters i could take at least 500 calories in fowl or hare for every 450-490 calories spent running around and throwing sticks

i don't know about bulls, it'd take an awfully big stick and some soft talking.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

retired American

I would be interested in this subject as it is illegal for foreigners to carry firearms in Thailand. Technically hunting is illegal here now too because so many species were being wiped out. However, people, including myself, regularly hunt for food out of necessity in the jungle and mountains. The usual weapons are crossbows and the locals use rifles and shotguns, especially homemade flintlocks. I have a crossbow and use that sometime but it is not always convenient to carry it. This throwing stick sounds like a good idea but I have never used or even see none here. I would imagine it would take a long time to be proficient with it. I can throw tomahawk quite well, if that means anything as far as throwing the stick accurately.

I would imagine that checking with the local authorities/government would be the best bet in answering the firearms question. As far as throwing a hawk and rabbit stick - two different (usually) throwing motions. Hawk is usually an overhand motion, while the rabbit stick is more of a side arm throwing motion.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I am not the expert on the non-traditional hunting methods but wouldn't it be easier to just pick up a good size rock to throw?

Unless you were real good with the rock, probably not. The diameter of a rock with enough mass that you can throw far enough (what were we talking, 30 ft?) is maybe 4 or 5 inches in diameter. You need to be pretty acurate with that. A throwing stick might be 3 to 4 feet long with much more surface area heading toward the target, thereby increasing the chances of a strike. Still takes practice though.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

and in rotation, where the ends are moving around at greater speed and thence with more force than the whole of the stick is in it's forward motion.

Trapper

I believe that if you can throw a tomahawk. then you'll be able to thow a throwing stick. The only difference is that there is no blade, it may be slighty bigger, and you throw it horizontally
    The wind blows where it chooses, and you hear the sound of it, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes.

John 3:8

retired American

How big should the throwing stick be? And what kind of wood do you think would be best? I used to make a spear, but you couldn't very well carry it in the city, so I had to make a new one all the time. If I could find a good stick like this and learn to use it, I could keep it and save alot of trouble.

I like mine about 2 ft long. Some like them a little shorter, some a little longer. Hardwood IMO works the best. A bend in the center of the stick of 30 to 45 degrees works best IMO.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Oh, I started thinking that quite some time ago. I figured if not, maybe some learning can take place and if so, maybe somebody else will learn. Either way it's not skin off my nose. (Besides, I told WE I would play nice)
    Something aint right here.

2-4 feet and of any dense wood will do. even just a cut length of sapling. i like to carve mine so that it's round in profile and thin at the handle and a good bit thicker and flat in profile at the other. it gives it a wobble when it flies, which increases the area that may strike, and the ridge i give it along the narrower edge limits the force of impact, should it strike with the heavy end, to a smaller surface area, thus increasing it further.

I've seen that episode of Man vs. Wild too. He killed a rabbit with an own-made throwing stick.

I never tried this technique but I think it's pretty effective if can get close enough.
    For lots of wilderness survival, visit www.surviveinnature.com!

Quote Originally Posted by TDG View Post
    I've seen that episode of Man vs. Wild too. He killed a rabbit with an own-made throwing stick.

I never tried this technique but I think it's pretty effective if can get close enough.
    It's even more effective when the rabbit is tied up and can't run away.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i find throwing a knife is much more effective and accurate... not to mention humane

Rabbits fear my name.....

What kind of knife, tracker? Do you have a few set aside for throwing, or would you throw your main blade just for a meal?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxman View Post
    I believe that if you can throw a tomahawk. then you'll be able to thow a throwing stick. The only difference is that there is no blade, it may be slighty bigger, and you throw it horizontally
    The rotation on a tomahawk is way different than a stick. The weight from the tomahawk head gives it a different timing. It would be dependant on the shape of the stick and the balancing you give it through carving. You can hunt with a throwing stick as long as you practice enough. The problem is most of would not have practiced enough to use it properly in a real situation. The original users of this method used it daily. That is what mad it feasible.
    Cheers!
    Richard Styrsky (Styric)

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more.

-Lord Byron (George Gordon)

yea i believe that bear and his crew would do that he is a complete tosser'"
    dont get me wrong ,i love his shows and all but there is alot of crap in them.he is more fun than ray mears,hes as entertaining as dioreah.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Foxman View Post
    Does anybody ever hunt with throwing sticks anymore? Not boomeranges or spears. Good old throwing sticks like the one in this picture http://www.hawaiiancollectibles.com/.../GameStick.jpg Mine is about 3' long and almost 3 pounds. I can hit an object from up to 15 feet away with enough accuracy and force to probably be able to kill a small animal. But I'm not trying it until I can do so well that I know I can kill at least a rabbit from 20 yards. I remember on Man vs. Wild, Bear Grylls making a throwing stick, and he talked about the Hopi using this weapon for hunting for many many years.
    I use tree roots, they are tapered,arched, and knobie enough. the surface that makes contact with the target is the important thing(a root knob covered with smaller root stubs does more damage than a smooth ball).
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis