Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is 'Up North'

Default What is 'Up North'

i always hear people from ontario (especcially around sault ste marie, no offence if your from there) saying they live 'up north' im just curious as to what everyones personal opinion of 'up north' in common usage is? i think that below 92 degrees Latitude (as i currently am) isnt even really central canada and that up north should be reserved for (in manitoba) Thompson or higher. but then again that just what i think , and the reason for this thread is that im curious what you think.
    This member asked that their user name be changed. They acknowledged that most of what they have posted in the past was less than truthful. Hence the reason for the signature post.

I think Alaska is pretty far North. And it's freaking cold here.

I did an under ice trip in the area of the North Pole......does that qualify as up north?

EDIT: BTW Marcraft - Latitude is measured in degrees - 0 at the equator and +90 at the north pole, -90 at the south pole. There is no such thing as 92 degrees latitude (longitude - yes).
    Last edited by crashdive123; 12-06-2008 at 12:31 AM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Up North is what people in the south call anything that is more northern than where they live, I agree the Soo is basicly just south of "central Ontario"
    Public mis-perception of reality what a bunch starstruck bushwackers

crash, no, that's under north, hope you didn't hit that N'pole

semantics son
    i must have missed in your posts here over the last year how long you have lived in Ontario, see for the folks that do live here sud bury is generally considered the gateway to the north if you listen to the tv and radio this area is always considered northern Ontario(hang on had to sip my Starbucks coffee)ok where was i oh yeah northern Ontario opps wait a minute my automatic start on my hummer won't work dang it better wake up the stable boy to warm it up for me hmm where was i oh yeah northern Ontario.so as i was saying.opps wait ..hey Hun turn up that song, oh this is a great one brad paisley so much better on line..ok sorry bud you know us posers always have something on the go. ok so techniquely yes look at a map the sault is not northern Ontario if you dissected Ontario into quadrants but to those who live here they generally save i am going to go up north this weekend to play or i live in northern ontario but i am not sure why i am explaining this to a 12 year old opps i better watch out you will put on you bullet resistant vest and come use chemical weapons on me oh gosh now what am i going to do might as well pack up the farm martha we dissed marcrap and sarge thought he was tough for dissing the bear and ranger rick ha us northerners are tough man beat that
    Last edited by wareagle69; 12-06-2008 at 08:10 AM.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

sorry i meant 52 degrees just a typo or a brain malfunction. and why would you even bother insulting someone on the internet , just a wast of time. but i guess all you have is time way up in the boonies. boonies within a days walk of a city with 75 000 people in it.
    This member asked that their user name be changed. They acknowledged that most of what they have posted in the past was less than truthful. Hence the reason for the signature post.

up north is where the trees don't grow
    up north is where winter last 8 months
    up north is where i want to live

-26C here this morning, wind chills near -35C. Ice is covering all the lakes now. Enough snow in the bush you wouldn't dare go out there without snowshoes and winter is still 2 weeks away. I love it here, but hope to move up north one day.

lol i just checked my records and Wareagle your not even an hours drive from S.S.M. your 10 miles from it. you do realise that if TSHTF (which it wont by the way,) your going to have 75 thousand people running away into your little 11 by 5 mile woods.

wow i cant belive that its that much colder in red lake then my favorite camping spot at 50,34,40N 93,38,20W, (anyones welcome to use it if they want by the way , absolutely awesome fishing at the lake just west of it.)

and i lived in gjoa haven for a while now THATS up north lol (farther north then alaska. google earth it if you want) but not exactly the kind of place i want to live for the rest of my life unless the **** does hit the fan
    Last edited by marberry; 12-06-2008 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcraft View Post
    lol i just checked my records and Wareagle your not even an hours drive from S.S.M. your 10 miles from it. you do realise that if TSHTF (which it wont by the way,) your going to have 75 thousand people running away into your little 11 by 5 mile woods.
    10 miles from sault saint marie geeze am i dumb i wonder why i drive all the way into sudbury every day when i could only drive 10 miles instead of 243 kilos hmm boy you da man all hail marcraft smartest little boy in the world
    by the way whats your point? are you still trying to prove that you are the greatest and toughest in the whole universe then i'll give ya that boy ifn we ever crossed paths you would have me so scared i would crap my pants just looking at ya and i would never dare to try to match my fighting skills to yours or my shooting skills to yours or anything else obviosusly you have called my bluff here so i bid thos forum farewell as i could never hope to be even a little ray of sunshine here as long as the boy king is present so long my freinds i hang my head in shame and defeat
    Last edited by wareagle69; 12-06-2008 at 04:54 PM.

read a book called Paddle to the Arctic by Don Starkell He visits Gjoa Haven on his route. One of the best stories I have ever read. I believe he is still alive and well and living in the 'Peg

you told everyone where you live for that gathering , you live just north of the 550 coming west out of S.S.M. and if you drive all the way to sudbery from there then yes , you are dumb.

BTW, if you need to check your records of where Sweet Stinky Marie is and Scourgebury, best you double check your facts

ah maybe double check your info i never wrote that at all go back to juvy hall and learn how to read

Why do you keep insulting me? does it make you feel important? is it nice that you can say whatever you want and never have to answer for it? well then go ahead because frankly i just dont give a ****. im not even going to bother starting a flame war. please stop posting useless comments , if you have something intelligent interesting or usefull to say then your opinion is welcome. dont post just to put people down, some day you will find its just a wast of your life.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 12-06-2008 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Profanity

well first go back and re read post #40 where i post that i live in north central ontario
    then read post #57 where i say i live two hours east of ssm and i hour west of sudbury
    3rd you started this thread so i ask again whats your point as i have always stated if anyone wants to come here and train the door is always open if you want to stop by come on down i'll send ya the directions.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

North is anyplace North of where I'm at at the moment. Right now Wisconsin is North to me.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All a matter of perspective, same as "wilderness". Everybody has their own ideas and definitions for what qualifies.
    Actions speak louder than words

Quote Originally Posted by red lake View Post
    BTW, if you need to check your records of where Sweet Stinky Marie is and Scourgebury, best you double check your facts
    ah come on tell me what you really think of these southern cities