Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Fights & Knife Fights and other solutions

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Gun Fights & Knife Fights and other solutions

Want to be a looser, a real first class looser.....? Get in a knife fight. My guess is if you have 40 years experience as a knife fighting instructor, you would not make it through three full out knife fights to the death. They say, "No one wins a knife fight"

Gunfights....??? If your real good, you might have a 70% chance in the first engagement. But more likely 40% to 50% in the first engagement. Second engagement if real, real good and lucky, your odds for the first and second have dropped to maybe 45% to 55%. The more engagements you have the greater the chance you will die. If you are the best of the best, the other guy might just get a lucky shot.

I just find it interesting that Knives and Firearms are what people spend the most money on, in terms of "so'called" survival gear. For the most part have no training or practice with-in the last six months. Yes, you are the exception, yes you, you don't need to post your skill set. My point is not you, but everyone else who their only subject in the survival area is firearms and knives for killing people. Or the fantasy of repelling an attack, more than once.

Ever notice people buy them self several firearms, but no one buys himself even one personal bodybag.........

Well said. but I haven't bought my own personal bodybag because I never plan on using it.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is merely to serve as a warning to others.

Banned
    Blog Entries

One never does........

Well I would guess that most people that spend $$ on guns and knifes for survival gear aren’t doing it anticipating a knife or gun fight. My guess is they would use them as survival tools, guns for hunting, knife for field dressing, shelter making, etc.

But on the other hand if something catastrophic happens and anarchy ensues what are the percentages of living a knife or gunfight if you don’t have a knife or gun? Probably significantly less, I guess if you end up in a gunfight you better bring a gun…

ok if two folks are trained to fight with a knife then they are both going to the hospital and possibly the morgue, pride my self on my knife skills as i can carry anytime anywhere can't say the same for a pistol
    2nd study the statistics from the gunfighter era most times they missed standing right in front of each other look at the running gunfights nowadays most times an innocent bystander gets killled
    my weapon of choice knife vs your gun hands down anyday of the week
    funny part of that hopeak is that lastnigth while out snowshoeing in the dark in the bush i am alone and with no firearm not many that i know do either cuz they feel safer having someone else and a gun keeps the boogy man away, this is why i go out alone i get into my head and keep at bay teh unknown or go out into the unknown on purpose to feel that hair on the back of the neck sensation having a firearm or freind there takes away from that, and by the way i know you said this thread doesn't pertain to "you" i know what you meant but knives are a small part of muy gear hense my arguement here over and over whn folks are asked "what one thing would you take into the bush" like frank i would take a wool blankey i can fashion my own sharp cutting instrument myself but take away the guns and knives and see how many members we would still have here my gues would be close to 10
    Last edited by wareagle69; 12-05-2008 at 05:28 PM.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dbldrew View Post
    Well I would guess that most people that spend $$ on guns and knifes for survival gear aren’t doing it anticipating a knife or gun fight. My guess is they would use them as survival tools, guns for hunting, knife for field dressing, shelter making, etc.

But on the other hand if something catastrophic happens and anarchy ensues what are the percentages of living a knife or gunfight if you don’t have a knife or gun? Probably significantly less, I guess if you end up in a gunfight you better bring a gun…

Well, you missed the point......

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    I don’t think so I guess this is your point.

“I just find it interesting that Knives and Firearms are what people spend the most money on, in terms of "so'called" survival gear. For the most part have no training or practice with-in the last six months. My point is not you, but everyone else who their only subject in the survival area is firearms and knives for killing people. Or the fantasy of repelling an attack, more than once.”

I just think that most people that are buying such weapons, getting in a knife or gun fight is low on the list of why they are buying them. It also doesn’t change the fact that if you do end up in a gun fight, having a gun and being a little rusty with it is much better than not having a gun at all.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    I think the best way to survive an 'engagement' it to avoid it if possible. In a SHTF scenario I see NOT getting into running firefights as a good plan.
    -Sam

Quote Originally Posted by dbldrew View Post
    I don’t think so I guess this is your point.

. It also doesn’t change the fact that if you do end up in a gun fight, having a gun and being a little rusty with it is much better than not having a gun at all.
    i dissagree
    also i think that most folks who buy a revolver or pistol or semi automatic weapon do anticipate needing the weapon thats why they bought it. when i lived in arizona i carried because i knew i would have to use it
    shotguns and rifles i put into a different catagory

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I think the best way to survive an 'engagement' it to avoid it if possible. In a SHTF scenario I see NOT getting into running firefights as a good plan.
    -Sam

That is my point.

I shoot almost every day. I will run away, beg, negotiate, wine, plead, hide, anything to avoid another gunfight.

I know nothing about knives, but I run good.

We have a saying in Alaska Aviation. There are old pilots and there are also bold pilots.......There are no "Old-Bold" pilots.....

Blog Entries

LOL....Even the winner of a knife fight bleeds.

As far as guns, don't matter how many ya have, if'n ya don't know how to use them, you are SOL. Just look at that kid who just died while shooting a mini 9mm uzi fully auto. There is a reason why we were trained on auto weapons, they don't shoot like other guns......duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........but stupid Mr. Survivor Man who waits for Armagedon just has to have one.

I like knives, alot. Like to throw them, just rec'd a few today. Like to carry them, use them, don't however really want to fight with them. If I am in a situation that warrants a knife, you won't see it, and chances are it will be a hit and run.

Best survival in these situations, get out, run out of the situation.

would have liked to read what you posted frank but i was running the other direction when you posted maybe if i come full circle i''ll finish it

I don't want to get into a knife fight, or a gun fight. Having said that, I own a .40 Glock, M77 Ruger 30 06, Ruger 10-22, and a Sig .22 semi auto hand gun. Up next is a shotgun.

I also own three expensive knives. The reason I own the guns and knives is because if the SHTF for whatever reason, I know my .06 will bring down a deer, elk, bear...whatever, and I could feed my family.

The guns just happen to be some of the most expensive things one can buy.

My tent, and sleeping bag cost more than my .06. My water purifier cost more than my Sig.

But over all, the guns and knives are just pricey pieces.

I am not going to get into my beliefs right now, but I will say this; I want to be prepared to live off the grid for a long period of time if I NEED to. We can all sit here and type about what we THINK may or may not happen in the future, but I have always felt it is better to prepare for the worst case scenario, then not.

Guns and knives will be very useful tools in a worst case scenario survival situation.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I make it a point not to run with a knife in my hand, that's dangerous and a gun slows me down. I only get a spoon to eat with anyway. I had the last gunfight won until I ran out of caps. Grabbed my rubber knife but she took it away and beat the dickens out of me, didn't work couldn't get a 4-F out of it either.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

i think we buy guns and knives because they make us feel safer more prepared than other survivial gear my -40 sleeping bag doesnt make me feel like i can take on the world alone like a sawed of pump does

.....but that -40 sleeping bag will keep you alive longer in cold weather than the sawed off pump.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

dont waste the time and money for guns knives and combat knowledge. running away gives you a far higher survival rate in ANY situation and a quality treadmill can be bought for $500 new on sale. and concerning gunfights , this is not the wild west , you cannot carry a gun around anymore. and most situations in which you would get shot are attacks of opportunity. and you dont have the element of surprise unless you are murdering someone in cold blood. a quality bullet resistant vest (III-A safariland, same defence as SWAT but concealable) only costs $450 with S&H. and there you go , strong legs and a vest will save your life alot better then any amount of money worth of guns, knives, or training.
    This member asked that their user name be changed. They acknowledged that most of what they have posted in the past was less than truthful. Hence the reason for the signature post.

If you train realisticly with a knife or a firearm, you will be more competent, and add to your chances (statisticly if you begin with 70% then the next time you are exposed you still have 70% chance, no diminishing return, only your exposure rate will change), but realisticly that you will actually use either is marginal. You hear of those cases as they out of the ordinary, that being said better to have one and know what to do with it then need one and not even have access to it.
    Like survival training its all in your own exposure (realistic or other wise) to the situation/elements.

Quote Originally Posted by marcraft View Post
    dont waste the time and money for guns knives and combat knowledge. running away gives you a far higher survival rate in ANY situation and a quality treadmill can be bought for $500 new on sale. and concerning gunfights , this is not the wild west , you cannot carry a gun around anymore. and most situations in which you would get shot are attacks of opportunity. and you dont have the element of surprise unless you are murdering someone in cold blood. a quality bullet resistant vest (III-A safariland, same defence as SWAT but concealable) only costs $450 with S&H. and there you go , strong legs and a vest will save your life alot better then any amount of money worth of guns, knives, or training.
    well you can't and i can't just go around carrying but many still can when i lived in arizona i have my 45 strapped to my leg at all times unless in a bank bar or courthouse which is usually how thing s work in that order

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I sat in the car in a shopping center yesterday and cleaned my 45, didn't bother anyone. I carry it because I am too fat to run and I have been trained and still practice point shooting every day if I get a chance and I know how to use a knife. I haven't used either since the '60s on anyone but it's more habit than anything that I always carry both. Kinda like a pocket knife that I started carrying around 1950 back when a knife was a tool. Kinda like a check list when I leave home : spectacles, testicles, wallet, watch, gun, knife then I am set, some I need and some I don't.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.