Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: best survival weapon when shtf ?

(Waving hand wildly) Me! I do! Me! Me!

I always practice strong and off hand (you never know, right?). Isn't that one handed mag change sort of similar to a one handed mag change on a rifle? Unless it's a combat situation I think that's sort of a mute point.

You seem to be thinking big game but what will you do with all that meat in a survival situation. I'll concentrate my efforts on any available small mammal (for hunting). There's plenty of fat on raccoons and possums and I don't have to reach out any distance at all.

The upside of your .41 mag is that squirrel will be dead, cleaned and dressed all in one shot!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default That would be me.

You guys and your pistols...(shakes head) How many of you handgun hunt???I do!

How many of you practice shooting with your weak hand??? That would be me!
    How many of you can do a one handed magazine change(auto loaders) or a one handed speed load on a revolver??? Yes I practice these things as well.
    At least with a rifle, I can reach out and touch something(reliable) from a good ways off. And yes I do that pretty well with my .41 mag revolver as well (both right handed and left handed) Sillhouettes out to 200 yards with a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag....does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    (Waving hand wildly) Me! I do! Me! Me!
    You seem to be thinking big game but what will you do with all that meat in a survival situation. I'll concentrate my efforts on any available small mammal (for hunting). There's plenty of fat on raccoons and possums and I don't have to reach out any distance at all.

The upside of your .41 mag is that squirrel will be dead, cleaned and dressed all in one shot!
    I have squirrel hunted with my .44 Mag in the past. 10 grains of Hercules Unique with a .440 dia lead round ball seated to the ogive of the ball and crimped tight. Accurate enough out to 30 yards or so to thump those little tree rats.
    Last edited by rat31465; 06-16-2009 at 11:02 AM.

All that referred to a handgun? Well, fancy that. I'll be leaving for a while so I can go google some of those words. And thanks....I think. (Someone PM me if he just called me something bad)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

All that referred to a handgun? Well, fancy that. I'll be leaving for a while so I can go google some of those words. And thanks....I think. (Someone PM me if he just called me something bad)
    Ogive---major diameter of the projectile.
    Tree Rat----Squirrels.
    What else do you need help with?

My yard needs to be mowed. The garden needs weeding. I have a bench I need to haul off. So, when are you available?

My yard needs to be mowed. The garden needs weeding. I have a bench I need to haul off. So, when are you available?
    The second Tuesday of the sixth week in July...hows that work for your schedule?

Got it! I hate to wait that long for the yard to be mowed but whatever works!

Look for then.....I'll be the one driving the tractor with the Brush Hog on back.

I can see I've got some 'splainin' to do to the neighborhood association.

By the by, all, one of the board members stopped by last night and told me my yard was selected yard of the month for July. Not too shabby considering there are 650 homes here. He made a list of all the edible plants I have in the "flower beds".

Superior, if you are that concerned, make a plan to move as far from the urban sprawl as you possibly can. That will reduce your main need to bugout and increase the places you can stash things to keep them from being confiscated.
    Friend of mine has a number of places he has buried (with appropriate precautions) a rifle, ammo, knife, canteen and cup and a few basic items of necessity. Only he knows where they are. All are on property he owns. His will contains directions to each plot for the person that particular weapon has been left to. They can choose to claim it after he is gone. Just something to think about...
    But, in direct response to your question. Take the .22
    You can carry a lot more ammo. Small game is much more plentiful.
    You are your dog's best friend....

Uh Sarky, I do.
    Qualified expert with both hands on a military police stress fire range. Never say it was easy and I could do it left handed (weak hand) until you verify there is not a Gunny Sgt standing behind you.
    Last edited by Schleprok; 06-22-2009 at 03:22 PM.
    You are your dog's best friend....

You got a truck and wondering which one. How fast can I load them all with ammo and get deep? Where can I stash some and how many where and how many locations?
    "Most of the luxuries and many of the so-called comforts of life are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind.”

— Thoreau

I don't know. How fast can you get deep? Oh, look! One guy has a gas can. Awwwww.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Get deep? Yep, happens a lot around here.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

(Chuckle) Hip wader deep?

The best weapon is .....

Whatever one you have with you at the time.

I would want an 11" Ka-Bar knife.

When shtf long-term, ammunition becomes less available, and runs out in the end. Knives, however, are good as long as the blade is sharp (it's not hard to sharpen it).

If Grant is getting an 11" K-Bar then I want a 12" Ka-Bar.....Just sayin'.....

When SHTF does anyone worry about other people as a potential threat?

Lets say I have an AR15 with a nice optic and all that wizbang stuff. How much more likely am I to be the victim of a robbery should someone want my really cool gun? I cant stay awake all the time. If I am with a group this becomes less of an issue.

I have some really cool guns that I would love to fantasize about taking when the SHTF, but in reality I know my little 22 pistol would be the smartest load out. If anything the amount of ammo I could pack with be would buy me enough time to harvest small game while I built up my arsenal of atlatls, bows, pine cone grenades, and vine whips.

My woods man bag has a pistol in it of some sorts. Typically said 22.