Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: best survival weapon when shtf ?

Didnt mean to get so political! My openning question was pretty much about firearms and survival. However, it seems we have no shortage of those who question my motives.
    While my reasons are my own, I have no problem sharing them with those who may not see eye to eye with me. The best response I received was 22lr with plenty of ammo. For that advice, I'm greatful. As for the rest, we can agree to disagree. I still found the replies very entertaining and in some ways amusing. Sincerely,
    Superior

Banned
    Blog Entries

Superior, You might enjoy the still active thread titled, " Your favorite survival rifle " the subject got well fleshed out on that thread.

Default police state

seriously I have thought about shtf scenarios such as this or close to it..I have no idea what to take..I did sell/ trade today my AR for a cool little tool called a Iver johnson enforcer, a scoped marlin 3030 and some boot..got rid of the most exspensive gun the AR so that leaves me with the above two and a 45 s/a pistol, 9mm rifle, AK47, 12 pump...I rhink a 22LR or 22Magnum would be sweet to own..for the squirrels and rabbits..etc.and honestly I am hard pressed to pick one or even two guns that would be good for all that I may run into..I think if I was heading to the boondocks ..I guess I would take my 45, 9mm rifle and the enforcer as all would be good for woody areas and stop most anything (big game not included) 45 s/a for 2 legged animals if I had to..9mm for dog sized animals and the 30 cal for small to med (now again Im talking about woody areas..not feilds or meadows)..but really I think u wouldnt have a prob avoiding ppl if they r not specifically hunting you..and u wouldnt want to down a deer to feed one or two ppl...small animals = small calibers I guess..med sized critters= more gun...(if your being hunted by other folks..thats a whole diff ball game)..so many variables in a scenario like this..hard to nail down specific weapons to take..but I sure would like a SA-7 survival 22 that fits into its own stock..easy to pack..standard ammo..in a thickly wooded area would cut down on the chances of being heard I would think when u try for the squirrel..anyway..a 22 cal through up to and including a 9mm would take most anything down within a 100 a yrds ..and thats quite a distance in the wooly boonies..for a good clean shot

Azurevirus - how about shooting on over to the introduction section when you get a chance and tell us about yourself. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The best survival weapon when the shtf is that lump of gray matter floating between your ears. Practical, useful, applyable knowledge will allow you to survive anything that is survivable

No doubt information is the best resource. While picking chantrell mushrooms here in the Oregon coast range one day, I wandered within 50 yards of a good size black bear. Although I was wearing my Glock23, I still felt way undergunned and hoped like heck he wouldn't notice me. He was drinking from a stream and the noise must have drowned out my sounds. I backed away slowly and avoided confrontation. Back in my truck was a short barreled shotgun stoked with slugs. The skid marks in my shorts were a small price to pay for the lesson I learned that day. A larger heavier weapon is less likely to be with you when you might need it. Now I have my sights set on a Ruger single action in 45colt or 44mag. for short excusions away from the campsite. A hot loaded 45 or a 44mag makes for good blackbear medicine so I'm told. (Better than 40sw anyway)

Worst case scenerio man kx250kev's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superior View Post
    A hot loaded 45 or a 44mag makes for good blackbear medicine so I'm told. (Better than 40sw anyway)
    P.s. My personal gun caliber penetration tests (into three 2x8's with Winchester whitebox FMJ) answered my question which would be the best choice for Bear protection. My Beretta Px4 Storm .40S&W gets the nod, plus it holds 14-17 rounds. (Hope I never have to use it.)

Of your choices, I'd vote for the remington 700, and the 10/22
    Last edited by kx250kev; 12-07-2008 at 11:42 PM.
    Thank you Mark Levin and Andrew Wilkow for being our voices www.marklevinshow.com

Quote Originally Posted by azurevirus View Post
    ...hard to nail down specific weapons to take..but I sure would like a SA-7 survival 22 that fits into its own stock..easy to pack..standard ammo...
    At one time I was considering the AR-7 .22lr survival rifle... that is, until I borrowed a friend's... and I read reviews on them... mostly bad...

It is more of a novelty (or last ditch weapon)... not very accurate or reliable and not built very well... most, if not all of my .22 pistols/revolvers are far more accurate and are by far better built. If you want a rifle, get a Ruger 10/22 carbine & put a folding stock on it... you'd have a much better gun that is accurate, reliable and not much larger when folded... better yet... get a Ruger MkII 512 or BuckMark pistol & practice... either can do almost as good as a rifle at hunting or survival distances...
    Last edited by Kankujoe; 12-07-2008 at 11:59 PM.
    KJ

Guns spook game away, making it twice as hard to track and hunt down another animal within the vicinity. They also will eventually run out of bullets (and you can't make bullets in the forest with only a handful of tools, and if so-----to time consuming), guns clog up with dirt and grim and make them less effecient (except AK-47's). But I would have to say any 22. would do.........
    KILL OR BE KILLED

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    The best survival weapon when the shtf is that lump of gray matter floating between your ears. Practical, useful, applyable knowledge will allow you to survive anything that is survivable
    +1 there sarky, without knowledge the best and most expensive rifle in the world wont do you any good once you run out of ammo...

to the original question, i would take the rem. 870 express, just take a varity of ammo from bird shot to slug. i would also invest in a good handgun. revolver or semiauto, just what ever works for you... here's a thought buy a taurus .357 in the 7-shot or 8-shot model's, then get a lever action in .357 with the longer barrel 20+ inches. two weapons, one common ammo, .38's for practice and .357's for the hard work. just my .02cents
    the mind is the greatest piece of equipment you own, use it wisely ~ my father

I would go with the SKS just because I am used to shooting the 7.62x39 rounds. I think the SKS gives you some firepower and some accuracy. But I think it really depends on what you are trying to do because if you are trying to survive in the wild then you want one gun, if you want survival plus protection then you are looking for another, or if it is a strictly the doomsday scenario where you want protection might want to go with a small barreled shotgun.

retired American

Over here in Thailand an anti-govt.group took over both major airports and the capitol building. Pro and anti-govt. forces were killing each other and there was talk of the very real and ever existing possibility of civil war. civil war. I am a foreigner and presumably a potential target if things went really bad. My point is with all this I was never nearly as worried as you seem to be. Why is the US govt.taking over the country? Whatever that means. This scenario is as likely as the other zombie one but that one is just a fun thing and you are serious. Like other man here says I once thought the end was near. That was during the Cuban Missle Crisis and we are still here. Someday the end will be here. Maybe today or maybe in a thousand years. Either way you will be nearer to your own end if you spend your time worrying about this crap. Just have fun and enjoy life. There are enough problems here every day to deal with without worrying about every possible but extremely unlikely doomsday scenario.

retired American

Yes I know I said civil war twice. It is very early here and I gave up coffee. Plus I am not very bright, even later in the day.

Default 22 cal survival rifle

mmm..strange.I have read some articles where the SA-7 wasnt very good..jammed etc (as posted above)..but I have also read its a better quality rifle since Henry Arms took it over..from all the info I can get on it thru opinions , it runs from they are not very good to one guy I talked to liked them so much he now owns 3 of them..they are getting pricey ...at least from the gun retailers around here..245.00 throw in some tax ..that is a little extreme for me..I would prob look at other brands because of the cost alone..I see one at walmart here..dont know what brand..but it was a s/a for 104.00 and tax..when I get serious about one I will definately ck it out..if the sa-7 isnt a good rifle thats a shame..I like that floating waterproof stock and that its pack friendly..diff strokes I guess

Out of the firearms you own, I think I would take the SKS paratrooper model. I used to have one and know what that firearm is capable of. Like an idiot, I sold the one I had some years back cause I needed the money. The SKS is an awsome rifle. My second choice would be the ruger 1022 with 1000 rounds of ammo.

I have shot the AR 7 and thought it was well put together. A few things i didn't like which in no way reflect the quality of the gun are this. The sights are not my style, when the bolt slams back it makes a thunk sound that drives me bonkers. The gun is still put together nicely but i just like my marlin 60 better.
    "A hero never lives forever, but a coward never lives"
    EMT Instructor

The best weapon to have is indeed Knowledge...but my canned response to questions such as these is simply.....The one I have with me.
    Which for me nowadays is my Glock 17 and my LMT M4. I have several hundred loaded rounds for these firearms and enough components to load several thousand more should the need arise.
    Last edited by rat31465; 06-16-2009 at 12:58 AM.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

I own an AR-7 & it's not designed for 'rapid fire', but for trying for a '1 shot, 1 kill" type thing. In a survival situation you wouldn't want to waste ammo anyway, so 'spray & pray' wouldn't be an option.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman View Post
    Out of the firearms you own, I think I would take the SKS paratrooper model. I used to have one and know what that firearm is capable of. Like an idiot, I sold the one I had some years back cause I needed the money. The SKS is an awsome rifle. My second choice would be the ruger 1022 with 1000 rounds of ammo.
    Was that paratrooper model the one that takes AK 47 magazines? I have one of those, it is actually a chinese arsenal modification.
    I know what hunts you.

You guys and your pistols...(shakes head) How many of you handgun hunt??? How many of you practice shooting with your weak hand??? How many of you can do a one handed magazine change(auto loaders) or a one handed speed load on a revolver??? At least with a rifle, I can reach out and touch something(reliable) from a good ways off. And yes I do that pretty well with my .41 mag revolver as well (both right handed and left handed)
    I know what hunts you.