Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best survival weapon when shtf ?

Default best survival weapon when shtf ?

Hello all: I'm new to this forum, and this is a topic that you've probably discussed before. I live 5 miles from the Oregon coast mountain range. If I had to bug out quickly in my pickup and live in the back of it for an extended period of time, along with my survival kit, what weapon would be my best choice if I could only choose only one of the following?: I have a colt light barrel ar-15, a remington 700 bdl in 7mm mag, a savage 116fss stainless .338 mag, an sks paratrooper, a remington 870 shotgun, a remington 870 short barrel smooth bore slug gun with military sights, a scoped ruger 10-22 deluxe sporter, a ruger 10-22T with leupold 3x9, a remington nylon apache77 in 22lr (no scope), and an unscoped remington 241 speedmaster takedown 22lr.
    If I could only take one with, which would you choose? All replies appreciated. thanks

Banned
    Blog Entries

The answer is in existing threads.......seek and ye shall find.........

Banned
    Blog Entries

Keep driving through the mountains to the potato compound (SPUD'CITY).
    Last edited by Sourdough; 12-05-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Superior - it is going to be a personal preferance. How long, how much weight (ammunition), on and on and on. As hope said, we've had a discussion or two on the topic. Here's one thread (there are others) on the subject. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=4794 In the meantime, how about shootin over to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

OK will do!

Banned
    Blog Entries

If History is and indication, the most important thing will be migrating to employment, and food. Any employment and any food.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    If History is and indication, the most important thing will be migrating to employment, and food. Any employment and any food.
    So you mean the whole 'eating to survive' thing is not a myth?

Why do people think fleeing to the wild is such a great idea? I understand cities
    better than I do the wilderness. So in a SHTF scenario I don't see going to a place I don't understand the 'workings' of to survive.
    -Sam

amen to that sam it cracks me up all the people looking to bug out
    superior what do you need the weapon for ? hunting or defense
    also look up the thread an absolut must read by me it talks about bugging out
    crash always the master "how bout shootin over to the intro " ha wish i could reads your posts all day long
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I envision a police state where a tyrannical government confiscates all we own. My house is ALMOST paid off but if we enter into a depression and I cant make my payment, I may have no other choice. I cant help thinking that I could fare better if I could be self sufficient away from others who are looking to take what I have. In that extreme case, I feel nothing would add security like a good reliable firearm. It could provide food, defense and if it came right down to it, I could use it to take what I need.

how many in your group?
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by superior View Post
    I envision a police state where a tyrannical government confiscates all we own. My house is ALMOST paid off but if we enter into a depression and I cant make my payment, I may have no other choice. I cant help thinking that I could fare better if I could be self sufficient away from others who are looking to take what I have. In that extreme case, I feel nothing would add security like a good reliable firearm. It could provide food, defense and if it came right down to it, I could use it to take what I need.

I could not disagree more. Unless you are in a fly'in only location, you would be safer in a small community.

My second point is you don't own anything........You are allowed to be steward of some stuff. But everything you own you take with you when you leave.......and you will leave.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by superior View Post
    So, you want to use your firearm to do the same thing to others that you are worried about the government doing to you? Sounds like you are saying "I don't want people to take my stuff, but I will take theirs if it suits me." I am wrong right? You meant to say "I could use it to take the wild game I need."?? I am interested in your point of view on this.
    You don't have to join PETA to survive in the woods, it just helps.
    (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Superior, by the way take the .22lr that you are most familiar with and accurate. Also take a few rds...quite a few

Banned
    Blog Entries

"I could use it to take what I need". Well around here you DON'T need a FIREARM to take what you need. See we help each other. If you need something you borrow it and you "REPLACE" it when you go to town.

However we sometimes have NON-Locals who take stuff. Well we have a lot of hungry bears, and bears got'ta eat somebody, and we don't want the locals to get eaten.
    So we just use the city thieves as food for the bears. City folks work good for bait when trapping Martins, Lynx, Coyote, Wolverines. Adds new meaning to, "I could sure use a hand, or a foot". Just food for thought....
    Last edited by Sarge47; 12-06-2008 at 09:14 PM.

As a last resort I think one would do what ever it took to make sure their family didnt starve. I dont approve of the idea and I hope it never comes down to it but I'm sure many will agree. In any case, I have alot of good survival skills and am not unfamiliar with the wilderness. I believe in an urban environment one would be even more vulnerable to hostile activity. If a hostile force (including our own government) occupied our country, a weapon could be used to take more weapons or supplies from the hostile force. One should not automatically assume I would be stealing from other survivors.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Superior, what radio station, or what blogs do you read? You are not the only person who Say's this line of thinking, I want to understand it, where you are coming from. What is the buggy'man...? I have a Good Government, It defends my rights, it protects me, I have a system to change that which needs to evolve. I Love America, and just don't see any police state, or tyrannical Government, However I see you do live near California. Move to Alaska and relax. Remember "WE" are the Government......

Banned
    Blog Entries

You might find this interesting.......I am 62, and I was talking like you are back in the late 60's early 70's. In-fact I was so sure that the end was not only near, but was HERE that in 1972 I took a Homestead 77 miles from the nearest human, and put all my money into 100 oz. silver bars. I had 2 cases of DuPonts finest, with which to blow bridges. That was 37 years ago. Back then it was the Tri-lateral commission and the same evil world bankers, The John Birch Society. Look life go on....Some day you are going to die. Don't waste the little time you have worrying about stuff, you can not change.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 12-06-2008 at 05:12 PM.

NEWS FLASH

It's not your job, it's the employers job.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Forcing me to support illegal aliens at gunpoint is just 1 example of the governments failure to protect me. I realize the futility of trying to change things which cannot be and that is precisely why I'm interested in survival. Our most important right as an American is the right to vote but even this right is given freely to these criminals in my state. By the way, I'm of Native American descent and still love my country. In the words of Joseph Stallin" He who votes determines nothing. He who COUNTS the vote determines everything. My dad fought ww2, Korea, and Vietnam and I'm glad he's not around to see what's happening today. When Indians ran this country, there were no taxes, plenty beaver, plenty buffalo, women did almost ALL of the work. Men hunted and fished All of the time. Think we improved upon that system? I think not. It is the duty of the government to protect us against invasion and they clearly are not.

Blog Entries

Cool Yo Supe!

1st, tone down the politics; I've just deleted one of your posts for being political. 2nd, your thinking is short-sided & mostly fantasy. It will probably be people like you that a new society will have to protect themselves from. 3rd, I'm getting together a group of armed guys & we're going to take away your house.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin