Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serial numbers on bullets.

Angry Serial numbers on bullets.

Dont know if anyone has heard, but I heard at work yesterday (law enforcement) that they are going to start putting serial #'s on all bullets, that is going to be expensive and going to raise the price on ammo alot. Just another way to "Big Brother" us. Everytime you buy them someone will be keeping tabs.

Blog Entries

Cool You'll get a "bang" outta this!

My wife forwarded this to me as the ammo thing is "state by state".

>>>>Beware of Ammunition Accountability Legislation in Your State

This is not gun control, it is gun control through ammunition control,
    write, call and email your state legislators.

http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm<<<<
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by marylp View Post
    Dont know if anyone has heard, but I heard at work yesterday (law enforcement) that they are going to start putting serial #'s on all bullets, that is going to be expensive and going to raise the price on ammo alot. Just another way to "Big Brother" us. Everytime you buy them someone will be keeping tabs.
    The aniti-gunners have been trying to do this for quite some time now. Hopefully it will not ever go through. Can you imagine CMA1984756385X9674A67774000999999F888U7365198883 beein stamped on a .22 bullet?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What is the worry? If you use you firearms responsibly who cares?!

It is those who are careless with their weapons and ammunition that should be worried.

Quote Originally Posted by red lake View Post
    What is the worry? If you use you firearms responsibly who cares?!

It is those who are careless with their weapons and ammunition that should be worried.
    Not sure what you are paying for ammunition now, but this would drastically increase the price. It is also IMO an attempt by those that wish to ban guns to do so in the US. Registering ammo? Next - what? Look at those countries that have "innocently" registered fire arms. First step (also IMO) to confiscation of those weapons. How's the gun registry program in your neck of the woods working out? How about our friends in Australlia?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The gun registry is great, at least according to the politicians, if you are a crook I am sure you will register you gun nice and legal like.

Seriously, Red Lake...every time you want to buy ammunition the gov't needs to know? why? because that's going to be as effective at stopping bad guys as the current gun registration is? OK. The Manitoba govt is putting a ban on bear spray because of the potential of someone using it as a weapon. Now, personally, I don't think I'm much of a fan of bear spray when it comes to bear confrontations, but the idea is...uh yeah, it's a weapon. Maybe they should outlaw barbecue/grilling tools, you got that big fork and a long knife...deadly man.

I might have posted this before, but I think it's relevant food for thought here..true story. A couple of weeks ago a cop stopped me when I was walking down the highway. He kept asking me for my ID. I said "we've established that I haven't done anything wrong" He said, "yes sir, we just need it for our records" I asked, "you keep records of people who aren't doing anything wrong?"
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

I am just not that paranoid. If somebody wants to know what I do all day they must live a pretty boring life. I live my life as I choose an that lies within the confines of the law. The Gman are the least of our concerns. We should all be worried about the utility companies, now there is something to fear.

As far as the price of ammo going up, how much ammo do you use (never mind don't answer that because that would reveal too much) but if ammo goes up 100% which it won't, you are going to be out another $100 per year? $200? $20?

Sounds dumb to me.

1. I assume this is on the shell casing, not the bullet right? A serial number on a bullet would be rather pointless wouldn't it? It'd have to have a lot of digits and you're telling me more than a few of them won't be rubbed off on impact?

2. So the murderer just picks up his casings. Or uses a revolver and doesn't eject them until he is home.

3. Or just steals the bullets... which reminds me, this way you'd have to do background checks for ammo purchases, verify ID, all that fun stuff, what a waste of time.

4. Or makes his own rounds at home, lots of people do it.

Seems like a waste of time and effort.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Now this sounds just dumb enough to be "politically correct". The last ammo I bought was a few weeks ago. Walked in told the guy what I wanted, paid and walked out the door. No ID check, darn sure wasn't asked if I was 21. Next time probably fill out an "application" and have a waiting period.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Worst case scenerio man kx250kev's Avatar

Along those lines, I heard today that India has very strict gun laws and very few police officers are actually armed. They are only issued 30 bullets, and they must be accounted for constantly. (There is no practice shooting in India.) I think ammo serialization is just a "new" gun control strategy for America IMHO. The cost to mass produce uniquely serialized bullets is going to cause ammo prices to skyrocket. Imagine paying $100+ per box of ammo.
    Last edited by kx250kev; 12-03-2008 at 11:35 PM.
    Thank you Mark Levin and Andrew Wilkow for being our voices www.marklevinshow.com

This sounds like one of those fake chain emails to me. I don't think it's even possible to put serial numbers on bullets. To me, that sounds ridiculous. (a) the number would be too long, and (b) the number would be destroyed when the bullet hit the target. I call fake.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Banned
    Blog Entries

I kind of remember a plan to put a number on the fireing pin, which would transfer to the primer.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    I kind of remember a plan to put a number on the fireing pin, which would transfer to the primer.
    That at least is true, but the idea behind the technology was flawed. The firing pin tends to not stamp the primer legibly. Plus, as more rounds are fired, the firing pin gets worn a bit and the teeny tiny numbers wear off. Finally, it is super easy for any criminal to remove the numbers from the firing pin with just a few minutes' filing.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
    This sounds like one of those fake chain emails to me. I don't think it's even possible to put serial numbers on bullets. To me, that sounds ridiculous. (a) the number would be too long, and (b) the number would be destroyed when the bullet hit the target. I call fake.
    Just Google serial numbers on bullets. Several state legislatures are considering it. At least one (maybe more) have already passed it. It is just a defacto way to "ban" ammunition. Micro stamping would add heavily to the cost and right now there is only one (small) manufacturer capable of doing it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sgtdraino - here is a link to some info on the topic published by the NRA. http://www.nrapublications.org/oj/nobullets.asp
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think they will just be creating an enforcement nightmare for themselves that will cost way out of proportion to its utility. If a fraction of that kind of money would be spent on upgrading the technology to ID bullets fired in crimes then the same effect would actually happen.

There is a tipping point beyond which many people would weigh the chance of becoming a criminal against the chance of getting caught. Ammo would just be buried or sold off cheap which would flood the black market with ammo. This is the history of draconian gun bans world wide. I already lived through it in Brazil. There we have a 50 round per year ammo purchase limit. Criminals just import it by the shipload. In the US the capacity to manufacture ammo exists in countless sheds and workshops. There is no way a law like this would have any impact on the nations ability to feed small arms. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

well I guess its time to go back to muzzle loader shoot shot or bullets make your own . You can make your own powder if need be. No place to put a number.........
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

Quote Originally Posted by red lake View Post
    I am just not that paranoid. If somebody wants to know what I do all day they must live a pretty boring life. I live my life as I choose an that lies within the confines of the law. The Gman are the least of our concerns. We should all be worried about the utility companies, now there is something to fear.

As far as the price of ammo going up, how much ammo do you use (never mind don't answer that because that would reveal too much) but if ammo goes up 100% which it won't, you are going to be out another $100 per year? $200? $20?
    You think it's cool that police feel a need to keep records on people that aren't doing anything wrong? Man the Berlin Wall coming down must have been a heartbreak for you. Paranoid has nothing to do with right or wrong. As far as ammo prices, any amount extra I'm paying because of a stupid rule is too much, but I actually agree that it's probably never really going to happen, Chris's points make sense
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

We are becoming a country that has to be politically correct in everything. The UN is a joke, countries that have kids with AKs want to dictate control on small arms to US. No weapons in some countries, need a "reason" to carry a pocket knife in England, gun ban in Australia. We elect ignorance so I guess we ask for it. If I could afford bodyguards and live in a neighborhood like a few I know in Northern VA I could look down on the "barbarians" that think they need to protect themselves and tell them it's nice and safe everywhere. That's my sermon for the day, time to go kick the dog.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.