Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 1 article survival kit

Chris Reeves knives are made from one piece of machined D2tool steel. They are indestructable as far as I am concerned. I have carried one form or another of his knives for over 15 years with never a mishap. I have and will continue to stake my life on his products. Check out his website: chrisreeves.com. There is absolutely nothing else I would rather carry. Miltary tested and proven.

reluctantpawn

Hey rp, I checked out that website and all I got was a bunch of really good outdoor photography.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

oops my badtry chrisreevesknives.com

reluctantpawn

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Be careful of any knife that is not full tang.
    Hi Nell, the knife line he is talking about is solid. The handle is the 'tang' it is machined from bar stock. Very solid. I say this because you gave good advice based on 90% of the knives on the market today, but this knife is not common and I just wanted to explain it for the members that don't know about it.

P.S. How is the new home shaping up?
    -Sam

Rabbits fear my name.....

Talking

Right now I'm wearing bootcut jeans with a solid leather 1 1/4" belt, a t-shirt under a long-sleeve camo shirt, a grey hoodie, boot socks, my Rocky boots, and my felt Charlie Horse Ghost Town hat.

Left hip pocket: Cell phone, $16, Case yellow trapper

Right hip pocket: Spyderco Delica plain edge, mini Buck trapper, change, my Battalion's challenge coin, full pack of Marlboro Red 100's and a new full-sized Bic lighter.

Right hip: Glock 21 in a paddle holster, full 13rd mag +1 in the tube.
    Behind the Glock on my belt is my Cold Steel Bushman knife in a sheath)

Left hip: 2 extra 13 rd mags in a paddle holder (all mags are loaded with Winchester SXZ HP's) Behind spare mags on the belt is a Leatherman Wave in a sheath.

Clipped to my belt loop I have my keys on a carabiner, and two mini multitools I just got at wally world last month: a Utilikey, and a swisstech mini plier/screwdriver, both clamp on a keyring.

Left rear pocket: medium/fine Arkansas stone in a pouch.

Right rear pocket: Wallet, multitool in the shape of a credit card, Gerber mini Ridge knife

Considering that 150 miles away from me is the Great Smoky mountain range, I would grab my Heritage Rough Rider .22 convertible in it's case, which also carries 200 rounds of ammo, a Cold Steel Finn Wolf knife, and my cleaning kit. I would be able to take any small game (of which there is an abundance up there), and build whatever shelter and procure any water, game, tools, etc. I would need.

Also, the main reason I carry so many things with me normally is because I'm around a lot of woods, and I sometimes have to find pets or people so I have to be ready for anything, because I never know when I could be gone for a few hours up to a day or two...

I do have a question, though. Is the purpose of this exercise to get home or stay where you are until you have to leave? Because you bet your pirate booty I would get home as fast as possible to be with my beautiful bride-to-be and our baby whom she is still carrying....
    Last edited by Cleankill47; 12-10-2008 at 03:44 PM.

I took it as an exercise in priorites. When you read the post, wearing what you were at the instant you read it, what one thing would you take to get you through the night if you were magically whisked away.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cleankill, I hope you don't fall in the water. you'll sink like a boat anchor.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

He forgot to mention the auto inflatable PFD.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    Cleankill, I hope you don't fall in the water. you'll sink like a boat anchor.
    Y'know, there was another fella here a long time back that I gave very similar advice to for the same reason, can't recall his name but I'm really wondering what happened to him now.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Too much gear?.....never!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Hi Nell, the knife line he is talking about is solid. The handle is the 'tang' it is machined from bar stock. Very solid. I say this because you gave good advice based on 90% of the knives on the market today, but this knife is not common and I just wanted to explain it for the members that don't know about it.

P.S. How is the new home shaping up?

-Sam
    Sam,the house is a royal PIMA,I have had the company out several times now because whomever wired the pos didn't know what they were doing,and obviously there was no QC done before it left manufacturing,the closet in the master bedroom was wired to 2 different breakers,causing it to kick the breakers,the furnace was wired backwards,3 wires,2 were supposed to be wired to a 60 amp breaker,and the other to a 30 amp,they reversed that 2 to the 30,and 1 to the 60amp,the vent over the stove:wired wrong,the outdoor plug,wired wrong,it's been "fun" to say the least .
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Sam,the house is a royal PIMA,I have had the company out several times now because whomever wired the pos didn't know what they were doing,and obviously there was no QC done before it left manufacturing,the closet in the master bedroom was wired to 2 different breakers,causing it to kick the breakers,the furnace was wired backwards,3 wires,2 were supposed to be wired to a 60 amp breaker,and the other to a 30 amp,they reversed that 2 to the 30,and 1 to the 60amp,the vent over the stove:wired wrong,the outdoor plug,wired wrong,it's been "fun" to say the least .
    You should pack a bag and go live at their house until it's fixed, that might speed up the process.
    -Sam

retired American

I would take my parang if I could have only one thing. I am wearing shorts and sleeveless Under Armour tee-shirt. I have wallet, notebook and paperback book in my pockets. It gets cold now at night so I would take US navy parka. But I guess that is 2 things. So better just take the parka.

Quote Originally Posted by Seppo Karhu View Post
    Right now:

CF combat clothing (thermakl undershirt), with gortex jacket on chair (grab that as I leave).
    Pockets: Wallet, day planner, various sheets of folded paper, Ball point gel pen, corkscrew/bottle opener, whet stone, Bic lighter, tylenol, 2 lip balms, one moisturizer tube, magnesium fire block, and flint, cigar nipper, keys, nail clippers, Leatherman supertool, combat gloves, sodoku book, cigarettes, signaling mirror, beret, fivestar notebook, 6 more pens, black sharpie, small coil notepad, harmonica, two id badges (one with clip), mine awareness foldout pam, ziplock bag, 3.25" computer disk, pocket comb, driver log booko, pocket Art of War, dakota caribiner watch/compass, 26 cents and a red lens for my minimag-light (absent).
    why so many pens?
    do you have allot of mimes in kingston?

guess i would be in trouble. i'm sitting here in my birthday suit drinking a cup of hot coffee, sure hope i don't get transported into the same place you guys do
    in all seriousness i wear clothes with many pockets maybe i have bought into all the indusrty hype that i should always be prepared or prepare all ways, so i have spent my time and money doing just that now it is the focus of my daily life just as when i was in combat zones you geared your thinking towards threat asessment you viewed evrything as a potetial threat same as when i trained as a paramedic every car parked on the side of the hiway i saw as a potential medical emergency, now i look at my routine with a combination of all my training i think about it most of the day. who says i wrapped tighter that a christmas present:

On my person; Glock 23 w/spare mag, Spyderco Delica, wallet, mini Bic lighter, cell phone, and Leatherman Wave.

Only one item to grab on the way out?

Gerber water bladder day pack.

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    With all this hoopla about survival kits. Those planning on their personal survival event, let's just say you, right now, this very minute, this one speck of time, were pulled from your computer and dropped 150 miles in the middle of the mountains.

On the way out the door you grab one thing, what would it be?

Question 1..What is in your pocket, right now?

Question 2..What would you grab, only one thing and don't go saying "duh, my survival kit" survival kits not allowed.

What'cha got, what'cha gonna grab?
    1) Nothing
    2) My cell phone, duh

Quote Originally Posted by Leighman View Post
    On my person; Glock 23 w/spare mag...
    I don't want to watch the football game with you anytime soon, lol
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.chesney View Post
    I don't want to watch the football game with you anytime soon, lol
    That's funny!

At the time I replied, I was at work which has no limitations on CCW so I was armed.

today at home watching the tube or reading my gun(s) are close by but secure....I would still take the 100 ounce hydration pack!

Matches in my pocket, folding knife in my other pocket. J frame on the hip and am wearing my insulated boots and fleece lined blue jeans................Of course if is kinda lcold here today..................one thing to grab on the way out the door.............my EBR....