Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 article survival kit

Blog Entries

Default 1 article survival kit

With all this hoopla about survival kits. Those planning on their personal survival event, let's just say you, right now, this very minute, this one speck of time, were pulled from your computer and dropped 150 miles in the middle of the mountains.

On the way out the door you grab one thing, what would it be?

Question 1..What is in your pocket, right now?

Question 2..What would you grab, only one thing and don't go saying "duh, my survival kit" survival kits not allowed.

What'cha got, what'cha gonna grab?

my zippo lighter is in my pocket, along with my cell phone and my wallet. if I had time I would grab a blade from my car.
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

Blog Entries

Right now, this very minute I am sitting here, I have a pair of uncomfortable boots, jeans, no shirt, in my pockets I have my wallet with one bandaid (glad I checked, kiddy's need more), I have a set of keys with a home made woodsman torch sparker, keys on a one of them thar imitation repelling clips. The other pocket I have a Gerber folder that I've had since 95.

It's snowing and raining outside, temp is about 25 degrees, as I am slowly lifted out of my chair, I grab one thing............................................. ...............

My wool blanky.

Right now I've got nothing in my pockets (wearing sweat pants). Since I'm assuming that Sarge's motorhome is not allowed, I'm grabbing a sattelite phone.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Umm, let me wait till tomorrow morning when I'm normally dressed before I answer. Lol.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Blog Entries

LOL...............

Okay, somebody's has be sitting there.................NEKKED................

If there is, I really don't want to know (TMI) who is posting while wearing only their birthday suit.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have a bic and a smallish folder in my pocket always,keys are hanging from a belt loop on one of those pretend carabiners FVR mentioned,I'd grab my coat,its long,water repellent,down filled,and in the pocket is my cell phone.

Glad you didn't say pulled outta the bed at night,cuz then,I'd be SOL.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED
    Just think of Rick going up the stairs, but skinnier
    How many of yall scrolled down?
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED
    Just think of Rick going up the stairs, but skinnier
    How many of yall scrolled down?
    That was just wrong......
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

I'm sitting here in a pair of flannel lined Carhart pants, t-shirt, wool socks and 100 gram thinsulate water proof hiking boots.

Right front pocket - Keys to truck, Benchmade folding knife with 2 3/4in. blade

Left front pocket - Rediedge knife sharpener, small swiss army knife, chapstik, vile w/1 dose of meds

Right thigh pocket - Cell phone

Left thigh pocket - Fire steel

Left rear pocket - wallet

Riggers belt - Leatherman supertool 2000, 3w led light

Hanging from belt loop - Dakota watch

On my way out the door I would probably grab my parka.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

1. Keys, firesteel, wallet, leatherman on me.
    2. I'd grab a cold weather sleeping bag.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Unhappy dead meat

It is -6*F below just now and going to cool off tonight. The one thing would be a Woods Brand 4 star sleeping robe. But I would die if I left the bag. Wearing full long johns plus heavy hooded sweat shirt, and sweat pants, and Down booties. this is what I sleep in, the cabin will cool off to 40'something tonight, and the bathroom is outdoors. The bottom line is drop me 150 miles out and I'll live only as long as I can stay in the sleeping robe (Bag)...

Blog Entries

Talking Too easy!

Just my knife & the clothes on my back...we don' need no stinking survival kits!

Oh Brad...Oh Adrian.....
    Last edited by Sarge47; 12-02-2008 at 01:26 AM. Reason: oops.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Well if you were to grab me at the office today and checked my pockets:

1 large lock back Victorinox folder. This is the one with a saw and goes everywhere.
    1 bic, 1 tube burts lip balm, Keys with leatherman Micro scissors, and a photon light. some Mentholyptus. Wallet with a bunch of cards and a stainless Steel Business card from my friend bender, which could make a great Scraper and signaling device.

Wearing a pair of Doc Maartens, Wrangler jeans, a tee and a red flannel shirt. On the way out I would grab my coat du jour, which is a black full length duster with a rain cape and home made polar fleece liner vest. In the pocket was an orange, a granola bar and my covered coffee cup from 7/11. Not the disposible, but the 20 OZ refill cup.

BTW, You would have to fly me a LOOOOONG way to find 150 uninterrupted miles of forest... Desert no problem though...
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

sitting here, it's about 70 in here, so i'm wearing a tee-shirt, thin cotton p.j. pants and no socks. there is nothing in my pockets.

i probably grab my full sized sleeping bag. it's not the warmer bag [0 deg. mummy bag], but it stays warm enough even if wet, and since it's not the mummy bag, i could more easily wrap up in it while walking.

i'd like to choose my knife, but at this point, the bag seems more practical and there is lots of stone in the mountains around me.

an aside:

i'm back in butte county, so i'm really only 50 miles from the ishi wilderness. could i be dropped there? and while i'm on the subject, aren't there people on this board who don't have mountains within 150 miles of them? couldn't i just foreward the surpluss 100 miles of chopper fuel to them?
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

The only thing I miss about California is the Sierra's. Plumas National Forest and the surrounding wilderness is where I grew up. Feather Falls, Little Grass Valley, Bucks Lake, Brush Creek, Little North Fork of the Feather river, Bald Eagle, Seven Falls are some of the places I loved.

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    The only thing I miss about California is the Sierra's. Plumas National Forest and the surrounding wilderness is where I grew up. Feather Falls, Little Grass Valley, Bucks Lake, Brush Creek, Little North Fork of the Feather river, Bald Eagle, Seven Falls are some of the places I loved.
    That is some beautiful country. My brother used to live in Challenge, but moved to "civilsation in Calaveras county. He is in Avery now.
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

Blog Entries

My Grandfather was the fire control officer for the Plumas National Forest. He used to drag me all over those mountains with him.

In the late 60's to early 70's the Forest Service was updating their maps. Grandpa purposely left a good many things off of the new maps because he knew when folks found out about them they would be ruined.

The summer he retired he took me on a month and a half tour of the forest he spent close to 30 years protecting. It was without a doubt the most amazing time in my life.

He took me to a cave with a log wall built across it with a door and a window near an unnamed creek. Inside there were the things you would expect to find in a prospectors cabin. Including the skeleton of the prospector laying on the bed.

I asked him how the man died. We walked over to the bed and he pointed to the piece of arrow shaft with stone tip in the mans ribcage.

The whole scene appeared to be very very old.

Sometimes I think it would be nice to try and find the places he took me that summer. Who knows, maybe one day...,
    Last edited by klkak; 12-02-2008 at 03:51 AM.

Sounds like it would be a great adventure for you and your grandkids some day.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel