Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dogs for hunting?

I use dogs for rabbit hunting, they do a great job of chasing the bunnies.
    I have used dogs twice to help recover a deer that we lost the blood trail on, but the dogs have to be trained to do that, my rabbit hounds won't work.
    I have duck hunted with dogs too, but they just retrieve, and that is something the hunter can do on his own.

So, I guess dogs can be useful in a survival situation too.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayPick View Post
    I use my dogs in the fall to find deer trails. Any dog in the woods up here during big game season is target practice.
    Then I guess that makes the shooter target practice, too. Some people value the life of a dog more than a human. Dogs typically have more to offer.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

I agree. Over the years we’ve had quite a problem with feral dogs. It’s the practice of the DNR and most hunters to shoot any dog running in the woods. A lot of folks will shoot a dog just because it’s on their property (farmers). My dogs are in the woods all year and I make it a practice to keep them within eyesight, for their own good and mine. I really don’t like to contemplate where I would go if someone killed one of my dogs for no reason.