Thread: Best Shots

Default Best Shots

The challenge about tack driving guns got me to thinking about the best shots I've seen, so I'm going to recount a few. Feel free to follow up with the best you've seen.

As I live in NE Minnesota, I haven't seen a lot of real long range shooting. I don't believe I've ever shot a deer at over 100 yards. Way too many trees to get too many real long range shots, but this deer season a friend shot a buck and a doe at about 500 yards (he had a marker at 100, 200, and 300 yards). It did take him seven shots to get on target, but the eighth shot dropped the buck, and the ninth shot dropped the doe.

Another good shooter was a Sgt Major at Camp Ripley who was hitting man sized targets, five times out of eight, with a 1903 Springfield - the range - 1/2 mile.

On one of my first deer hunts I watched my grandfather drop a running buck at 1/4 mile with an 1894 Winchester 30-30. Excellent neck shot. He was also very good atjumping deer and shooting them in the neck as they were running away from him. He'd wait for the third bounce. Pretty narrow target.

I've made a few good shots over the years with the pistol, shooting at a running target while I was running. Actually I can only think of two. Sometimes you just know you are going to connect no matter what. These were not terribly long range shots however, maybe 40 to 60 feet.
    Last edited by RBB; 11-28-2008 at 02:06 AM.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    Sometimes you just know you are going to connect no matter what.
    In the zone. Love when that happens.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

A friend and I agreed to take a co-worker hunting one day. This guy had all the guns and knew all the hunting lingo so we figured he was ok. He spotted a nice buck 150 yds out and rested his rifle on a lone fence post. He shot 3 times and it looked like he was gut shooting the buck. The whole time I'm trying to spot for him standing up with my rifle resting on nothing. The buck ran uphill towards heavy timber where I knew he'd be hard to find. So I decided to take a shot. I timed him perfect and dropped him with my .270 on a dead run 175 yds out. He was killed instantly with a neck shot. Upon reaching him, we found that the other guy hadn't hit him a single time. If I'd known the buck wasn't injured I would've never taken the shot. I guess luck was on my side that day.
    Anyway, we never took that guy...or anybody else with us hunting again.

best shots i ever seen? well for my 29th birthday i was in a bar in wickenburg and they lined up 29 shots of ta kill ya
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

40-50ft with a pistol, on a moving target while running is damned impressive to me. i'm lucky to get within 20deg. of a target while running.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnchief View Post
    A friend and I agreed to take a co-worker hunting one day. This guy had all the guns and knew all the hunting lingo so we figured he was ok. He spotted a nice buck 150 yds out and rested his rifle on a lone fence post. He shot 3 times and it looked like he was gut shooting the buck. The whole time I'm trying to spot for him standing up with my rifle resting on nothing. The buck ran uphill towards heavy timber where I knew he'd be hard to find. So I decided to take a shot. I timed him perfect and dropped him with my .270 on a dead run 175 yds out. He was killed instantly with a neck shot. Upon reaching him, we found that the other guy hadn't hit him a single time. If I'd known the buck wasn't injured I would've never taken the shot. I guess luck was on my side that day.
    Anyway, we never took that guy...or anybody else with us hunting again.
    Sounds familiar, some how. It was a bit different as this guy had never been hunting.

About 1978 I was working with a guy who got it in his head he wanted to go bear hunting. He kept after me about it, so I took him to a gun shop where I knew the owner quite well. He let us try out a Spanish Mauser that had been re-barreled to 30-06. Gun shot well, was pretty cheap, and I advised the guy to buy it. He bought it and we went out and shot it to the point where I felt he could hit what he was shooting at.

I'd never actually gone "bear hunting" at that time, though I'd shot quite a few nuisance bears. I was living in a log cabin on the north shore of Lake Superior, and I had bears getting into my apple trees. I figured we'd just lay up on the roof of the cabin and when a bear came - the guy could shoot him. I told him not to take a head shot, but to go for a chest shot.

Well, this idiot went for a head shot and shot off the bear's lower jaw. Then he wouldn't go after it (afraid of the bear), wouldn't come down from the roof (afraid the bear would get him) and wouldn't let me use the rifle to go finish off the bear (afraid the bear would climb up on the roof and get him). A gutless wonder!

All I had at the cabin was a single-shot 12 gage with bird-shot cartridges. So I took it out in the woods and shot the bear. It took quite a while. Every time I'd get close enough, the bear would up and leave. You have to get pretty close to kill a bear with birdshot, and I got mighty sick of all that whining. Nothing whines like an injured bear, and I kept getting more and more angry the longer it went on.

Needless to say, my relationship with this idiot underwent a swift change.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post

Needless to say, my relationship with this idiot underwent a swift change.
    You should of used some of that bird shot to get him off the roof!

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnchief View Post
    You should of used some of that bird shot to get him off the roof!
    No, you should of handed the guy on the roof the shotgun, and told him it was his better option. Then you could of finished off the bear in one shot.

Blog Entries

Whining........Hmmmmmmmmmm.................

First rabbit with my 410.

Hunting in the front of the farm we lived on, I was 14 and just got my license, a rabbit jumps out of the hedgerow and takes off in front of me. My grandfather says "shoot him FVR" so I shot the rabbit. In the arse. I walk up, the rabbit is just screaming, I ask my pop "pop, why is he screaming like that" Pop responds, "Jesus H Christ FVR, you'd scream to if someone shot you in the arse, no pick him up, yeh like that, grab that, grab his head, now watch his teeth, twist." All of a sudden, quiet.

What sucks is that I had to do this two weeks ago. Seems our 4lb hamster got out of the cage, but it was no match for the 40lb weener mutt, he broke the rats back. I wake up in the middle of the night to a whining, I walk over, hamster is trying to get away.

Well, put on a pair of gloves, take the poor critter outside and twist.

Rabbits never seemed to be this hard to kill, oh he died real quick, but it just seems to get harder the older you get.

my best shot(s), was with my S&W 686 .177 pellet pistol 10 rounds within an inch of the dot at 30 yards. no real guns yet because im 16. strange thing is i cant do that with my diana 24 .177 pellet rifle (70 fps faster with the same ammunition).

a few years back when my grandfather still hunted i saw him take a moose with his 7mm semi auto (not sure what brand/model) from the opposite side of a field (so 1 mile at the shortest.) managed to headshot aswell , i didnt think it was even possible to kill a moose from that far without a ridiculous military caliber (.338 lapua mag, 50 BMG, .408 cheytec) shame the police kept harassing him about how he had to take courses get a license and register. last year he took a sledge hammer and pounded his entire gun collection (which he had since WW2) to **** and gave the box of broken gun pieces at the police station. kept his reloading equipment though , iv been trying to persuade him into selling it to me ever since.
    Last edited by marberry; 12-05-2008 at 06:11 AM.
    This member asked that their user name be changed. They acknowledged that most of what they have posted in the past was less than truthful. Hence the reason for the signature post.

Was out caribou hunting in western Alaska with a couple of friends many years ago. After several days of hunting we finaly spotted three bou, right after they spotted us. I sat down and started to set up for a shot while one of the guys used his range finder on the retreating animals. He sais, "Forget it, they are more than 400 yards out." I was already sitting and had the 7mm resting on some home made shooting sticks so I asked,"How far away are they exactly?" "He's at 498 yards(bang)... wow you got him." One shot at 500 yards, right through the heart.

That was the only animal we harvested that trip even though the other guys fired a dozen times. For those of you wondering...no, klkak wasn't one of them. If he had been we most likely would have had one more set of back straps in the cooler.
    You don't have to join PETA to survive in the woods, it just helps.
    (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

My ex-brother-in-law took two deer with one shot from a muzzel loader in Maine. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. Truth is, it was a fluke. He aimed for this doe, and as he squeezed the trigger, her fawn ran out of the brush. The slug went through her and lodged in the fawn. I just stood there saying, "holy snot" over and over.
    It wasn't a long shot, only about 50 yards or so.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

stake out on a serial rapist................ 50 feet at night, target running away in poor lite neighborhood..............Jumping over a hedge, two shots..........
    Not fatal but crippling............Model 66 Rapist still in jail........

when I was twelve, we were camping deep in WV, and I slipped a spent Co2 cartridge over a limb on a bush. With my open sighted .22 I hit the cart. at about 40 yards, standing no rest. When I put the target back on the bush it had a dent square in the middle. I stepped back and took another shot, hitting it again, and that time there was a hole.

Sarge - Move to General Chat
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel