Thread: Food for thought

Default Food for thought

Since many of us live in an urban (or semi urban) setting wouldn’t it make sense to include available technology in our “tool bag” for survival or emergency type situations? It appears that all of us here on this board have at least embraced the internet (with varying degrees of success). Would it not make sense when traveling to have a “trusted person” (friend, family etc) made aware of your whereabouts and what means you have available for communications (cell, email, Instant Messengers, carrier pigeon)? When there is an incident in your area the Trusted Person can communicate updates that are available through the news media. Of course this is assuming that these types of communications are still functioning. A recent example of this working was during the incident in India. CNN carried a story where someone kept one of the tourists updated via email from “home” that gathered information on TV, which allowed him to make some intelligent decisions relative to his situation. Granted the information is not always“ real time”, however it is generally gathered and reported quickly. “Information is Power” and every little bit helps.
    In my line of work, we routinely have this set up for our employees traveling within the States. Just food for thought.

Sure. You bet. It's call a communication plan. Here's a post that talks about it.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...unication+plan

Another:

And Another:

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thumbs up

Those are good posts, I did see them before I wrote, just figured on freshening things with a current example. I like the old adage "Tell them what they will be taught, teach them then tell them what you taught"

Folks seem to be under the impression that the family will all be sitting around the fire singing Kumbaya when TSHTF (whatever that might be). Chances are pretty darn good that dad will be at work, mom will be at work and the kiddies will all be in school. If you don't have a communication plan in place to deal with linking up and getting your family back together then you'll get to spend all your survival time trying to figure out where the heck everyone is while everyone else is helping themselves to your stores.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Good points, The scenario that we / I deal with most frequently is a traveler getting caught "short" in a regional type incident, The CA wildfires, earth quakes and hurricanes, etc. By giving them info have been able to "steer" them towards better choices. Have not had any bad guy scenarios or those involving their families to date. (knock on wood)

I have had my share of travel and am currently on the road again (heading to Atlanta tomorrow). I always carry some survival gear in my checked luggage. Enough to cover the basics of clean water, fire, orientation, knife, multi-tool, flashlight, whistle. As I posted about a week ago, a hotel room has a lot of materials that can be turned into useful survival gear. The shower curtain can make a water proof roof or ground cover. The sheets can become a bedroll, the pillow cases can become carry bags. The bed spread can become an improvised hooded capote or matchcoat.

One earthquake or other natural disaster and you might find yourself looking for items to keep you warm, dry and alive.

I have a fold up in my brief case and just check the 10 day forecast. Rain off and on. My guess is there will be folks standing around looking up trying to figure out what it is.

What floor do you prefer? I am a 2nd or 3rd floor guy if I can. Like hallway ends , generally another exit (hall window). Always a surefire flashlight and pocket knife at a minimum. Another helpful hint (I am full of them as well as other things ) , when walking the halls to and from, I carry a rolled magazine (reading type). Its non threatening, but does cause a severe breathing disorder when jabbed into the throat of a miscreant intent on making an unauthorized withdrawal from the First Bank of Me.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Here's some safety information from my site and rules that I try to live by:

If possible, reserve a room that is between the 4th and the 6th floor. The first floor of a hotel is often the busiest with games rooms, pool, and restaurants. The first couple of floors also offer easy access for criminals to make an escape. Let's face it, no one wants to run down five flights of stairs so they often limit their activity to the first couple of floors. Fire department equipment generally can not reach beyond the sixth floor so being trapped can be a concern.

You will also want to avoid rooms that are close to the elevators, the vending areas and the stairways. Those tend to be the noisiest rooms.

When you check into your room, perform a safety inspection of the room. It only takes a few minutes and it might save your life.

• Examine the room lock and be sure you know how to use it and it is functioning properly. Keep the door locked at all times and never prop a door open. For an extra margin of safety, twist the safety chain to remove the slack before latching it.
    • Check the closets and bathrooms to make certain the room is empty.
    • Check the windows and outside doors (if present) to ensure they are locked and operate properly
    • Check the lock on the adjoining room door (if present) to ensure it is locked
    • Take a moment to check the telephone calling instructions so you know how to make an outside call to 911
    • Look for the room safety card (generally on the back of the door) for information about fire safety and read it to become familiar with the nearest fire exit/stairway. In the hotel, you should count the number of doors between your room and the nearest fire exit. Remember that a smoke filled hallway may be impossible to see in and the only way to find your way is by feel. Take the time to note the location and number of fire extinguishers and fire pull boxes.
    • Also pack a flashlight in your carry on. Place your room key in the same location every time, preferably close to the bed along with the flashlight and your cellular. If a fire alarm goes off at night and you must leave the room take those three items with you. You may find your route of escape blocked and be forced to return to your room. Without your key, you may be trapped with no place to go. If your key is in the same location all the time you will know exactly where it is when you need it. Your cell phone can provide you with a means to contact emergency services if you need help evacuating or loved ones if you made it out okay. Your flashlight may be useless in a heavily smoke filled corridor but not all fires produce that level of smoke and the smoke may not have fully reached your floor yet. Your flashlight may aid you if power is out or smoke is beginning to infiltrate your floor. Never use an elevator during a fire. Always use the stairs.
    • Anyone calling your room and claiming to be with the hotel staff should be verified before you grant them access to your room. Acquire their name and verify with the front desk they are an employee. If you still are not comfortable, simply deny them entry. Remember to trust your instincts.

I was in Tampa last month with a power outage occurred. Believe it or not, the hotel did not have emergency lighting in the hallways. My mini mag was the only light in the place!!!!

I guess we have only a slight divergence of opinion. I prefer a relatively high traffic area outside my room, less opportunity for someone to do mischief and vending machine areas are most likely to have camera coverage. I chose the 2nd or 3rd floor for quick access to mutliple usable exits (stairwells, hall windows and room windows). When I am not in the room, criminals are welcome to my dirty laundry, all my valuables are with me (or secured in my vehicle). When I am in the room, my main priority is access to a quick exit. I do like your room safety inspection checklist, we stress a similar format to our travelers.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

My hotel preferences are similar to Rick's, however many times the places I stay are onyl 3 story buildings. One of the things I bring for security when I travel is a door alarm. Hang it from the knob - if somebody touches the knob on the outside, it sounds the alarm. Other types are available that rest against the door - door moves, alarm sounds. I prefer my potential victim to be scared off before the door is open.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sage advice Mr Crash (forgive the formality). Seeing the southside of a north bound felon is much better than wrestling (or worse) with him

I actually did quite a bit of research in putting that together and found several resources that sited most criminal activity occurs on the first few floors because of easy access. Today, most areas have camera security at least near the elevators if not the entire hallway.

I appreciate your point of view . And I agree that most available resources support your view. I am just adding my point of view based on almost 30years of personal security , and security education experience. Truth be told, personal security is an inexact "science" and as such there has to be some flexibility in application of its principles. Besides, if we all 100% agreed on everything, what fun would that be

Sarge - Move to General Emergency Preparedness
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel