Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: your favorite survival rifle?

Fishpole it won't take mags that is why I did not mention them , yes it is a levergun. It Will also fire the Little squib rounds that have no powder although care should be taken with them to make sure they actually go down range.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Blog Entries

Well, I usually venture into the woods with a 22 WMR revolver with a 4.5" barrel and a hundred or so rounds.

For around here, it'll take care of business. But, I wonder how a 22WMR would do on a mountain lion? Seems we have them migrating in from somewhere. Gent just killed one on the Ga. / Alabama border.

That throws a stick in the spokes.

Not much on carrying rifles if I don't have to. Rather take a fishing pole.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default Same Here

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    Well, I usually venture into the woods with a 22 WMR revolver with a 4.5" barrel and a hundred or so rounds.

For around here, it'll take care of business. But, I wonder how a 22WMR would do on a mountain lion? Seems we have them migrating in from somewhere. Gent just killed one on the Ga. / Alabama border.

We are getting lots of strange critters around here also. Never had rattlesnakes when I was a kid either or coyotes. Seen a wildcat or two. I don't care for carrying a long gun either. For all I know they could be stocking these critters from populated places.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by fishpole View Post
    although i do agree with that, one elk or deer can save you alot of time an energy hunting smaller game. i see where you are coming from though. personally i would take a deer come winter when their are other things that need doing or when hunting becomes harder. thats just me, good point though.
    -cory
    If you're in a 'stuck out in the bush' for whatever reason situation cory, also think meat storage. Killing it is easier than keeping it. There are threads here on the subject and you might have mastered those skills, I don't know, just a point.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by huntermj View Post
    Not necessarily a survival rifle but my favorite rifle is a Savage model 8 single shot made about 1950, 22" barrel and drives a tack at 100 yards. ..
    Memo to self: do not ask this man to hang pictures on my walls.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

To your point, Coot. More and more folks are acquiring exotic animals only to turn them loose once they realize they can't take care of them or the "new" wears off. You really never know what you might run into out the woods any more. If someone says they saw a black panther. Who knows? Maybe they did.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Let's not forget...

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Why is it that when people think survival firearm, that they see them self eating deer meat only forever. Think of it this way. I am going to drop you off in the wilderness, and you will be killed if you come out of said wilderness in less than 5 years. Everything is supplied but food. Hunt or die. there are more hawks, owls, robins, blue jays, snakes, gofers, woodchucks, rabbits, kitty cats, dogs, rats, squirrels, etc than deer or elk.
    ...horses, cattle, sheep, pigs, longhorns, mules, donkeys, your hunting partner,
    Reindeer,(actually saw some of these kept by a farmer up north of here recently), Llamas, etc..
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

if you must know, i have other firearms but me and that little 22. have something special. My SKS , i could not hit the side of a barn with but my Savage at 50 yards i don't even think about it, i just look at what i want to hit and its done. at a 100 yards it just takes extra takes a second. O.K. driving a
    tack is just an expression, The rifle is capable of doing this but i am not. At least not every time. I know this may sound weird but the the first time i walked into that gun store and touched that rifle i knew we belonged toghter
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

Blog Entries

Talking Uh-oh!

Quote Originally Posted by huntermj View Post
    I know this may sound weird but the the first time i walked into that gun store and touched that rifle i knew we belonged together
    Wierd? Nah! Kinky? Well....(Theme from "Brokeback Mountain plays softly in the back ground.) Yeah, I hear you, it's hard to find a friend of that "caliber." (Music ends, we hear Marine "Boots" chanting: "This is my rifle! There are many like it, but this one is MINE!")
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post

One of my favorite firearms is my S&W model 17 that I reamed out to .22 magnum. it has a 8 3/8" barrel, TT,TH, TS (Target Trigger, Target Hammer & Target Sights). Drives "Tacks" at 400 yards away, if I am willing to walk 380 yards closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If someone says they saw a black panther. Who knows? Maybe they did.
    I saw one talking at a conference in Chicago.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yep, they were in Rochester, New York back in the 60's.

huntermj,
    sounds like you and your rifle have something beautiful, i hope to meet a rifle like that someday (sigh) lol...actually i do! my marlin bolt action .22 mag. is my significant other if you will lol!
    -cory
    "Go ye to the wilds, to its waters and woods. For it is good to live thus" -Stanley S. Hawbaker

Rifle...I don't know. What I really would want for a fire-arm out in the woods would be my Winchester 870 12 gauge. I mean what's better than a shotgun in the woods. You can get fowl and Mammals! A shotgun is the perfect survival gun.
    "When we get people who are more concerned about reading the rights to an Al Qaeda terrorist than they are with protecting the United States against people who are absolutely committed to do anything they can to kill Americans, then I worry"-Dick Cheney

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Groove View Post
    Rifle...I don't know. What I really would want for a fire-arm out in the woods would be my Winchester 870 12 gauge. I mean what's better than a shotgun in the woods. You can get fowl and Mammals! A shotgun is the perfect survival gun.

The problem, is ONE 3" shotgun shell, weighs roughly the same as (50) .22LR cartridges. and the 50 .22LR cartridges are about the same size as one 3" shotgun shell. I can put 300 rounds of .22LR in each front pocket, try that with 3" shotgun shells.

i think a 22 hornet or 223 is the best. you can carry alot of both. the 410 also seems pretty good if you think of it more of a rifle than a shotgun when your shooting birds because theres so little bbs in a 410 that you need to be smart with your shots. much easier to carry than a 12 but not as nice as a 22.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Question: when I think survival rifle, and all meat comes from the land. I think in terms of forever more, and atlest 10 years. You guys must think in terms of 10 hours or 10 days.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I don't see the survival rifle as the firearm I like. I like my .375 Holland & Holland, but for survival I want just barely enough power, and 10,000 rounds of ammo. As Sarge pointed out, once the ammo is gone, it is good for a jack handle.

i have a rossi ss in .22 with a .410 change barrel. this one takes .45 LC also.
    that combo does the trick.

The 22 is king, Its cheap, Its everywhere, You can feed yourself, Keep away the bad guys, Ruger 10.22 Nuff said!