Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: your favorite survival rifle?

Have now done that....am I cool yet

You've been good ever since you registered. I just personally like somebody that is going to exchange ideas with me to intro themselves so I have a base of understanding or a starting point. Not meant to offend.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 12-31-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I rarely take offense at anything....and hadn't even noticed that forum til you mentioned it. I'm sure we will have plent of entertaining information passed through

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
    Sorry, I really don't think so. The pressures in the .22 Magnum cartridge are significantly greater than .22lr. A standard 10/22 is just not built to take that.

If it's any consolation, the concensus on this forum is that the standard 10/22 is a superior survival rifle to the 10/22 Magnum.
    Actually it was a 10-22 that was seriously modified that led to the introduction of the 10-22M. If I remember correctly the bolt had to be shortened in order to get enough rearward movement to chamber the next round. Extra springs were added so the bolt wouldn't beat the reciever to death. A weight was added forward of the reciever and attached to the bolt to give the bolt more mass. the barrel was either rechambered or a .22mag barrel from a Marlin was used, can't remember which. Lastly the reciever was radically cut open to make it all work. It really was a Frankenstien monster. The 10-22m is considerably heavier than the 10-22, at least it feels that way, so i can't wait to get a carbonfiber barrel for it.

That would be my model 94 30/30. best gun I own IMHO of course. but im partial and bias LOL.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by welderguy; 01-01-2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: took a picture

Blog Entries

Cool The Ruger 4/44

Then there was the Ruger 4/44 that held 4 .44 Magnum rounds. It was built along the same lines as the 10/22, but handles the .44 Mag.. The idea was, I believe, to have a rifle that used the same ammo as the handgun you might carry.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Then there was the Ruger 4/44 that held 4 .44 Magnum rounds. It was built along the same lines as the 10/22, but handles the .44 Mag.. The idea was, I believe, to have a rifle that used the same ammo as the handgun you might carry.
    That would be the Ruger M44 Deerfield carbine .44 magnum. It has Rugers detachable rotary magazine. It is an updated version of the Deerstalker carbine introduced in 1959 or 1960 which had a tubular magazine.

I own two .44 magnum lever action carbines. One is a model 92 Winchester the other is a model 94 winchester. Two very sweet guns!
    Last edited by klkak; 01-01-2009 at 04:03 AM.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    That would be the Ruger M44 Deerfield carbine .44 magnum. It has Rugers detachable rotary magazine. It is an updated version of the Deerstalker carbine introduced in 1959 or 1960 which had a tubular magazine.
    Originally called the Ruger Deerstalker, till sued by Ithaca, who claimed the name was too close too the name for it's Model 37 Deer Slayer. Bill Ruger was livid.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-01-2009 at 09:24 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Originally called the Ruger Deerstalker, till sued by Ithaca, who claimed the name was too close too the name for it's Model 37 Deer Slayer. Bill Ruger was livid.
    I like Ruger firearms. I wish they'd get into traditional style lever actions like the model 92 Winchester to go with there Blackhawks and Bisely's.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!