Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: your favorite survival rifle?

Default your favorite survival rifle?

just curiouse as to what your prefered firearm is for survival. maybe the one you keep in your truck or in you pack when in the wilderness, whatever it may be.
    currently ive taken to carrying a AR-7 in .22 cal. it is extremely light, the barrel, action, and magazine collapse into into the stock and is easy to conceal/carry. i keep it in my pack on hikes and canoe trips, in the truck, and even bring it to deer camp for plinking a rabbit for the pot. its just a great rifle to have around.
    ive used to take a variety of small game and it is a real tack driver even with the peep sights. woodchucks, squirrels, rabbits are all critters that have been taken with the little guy. believe it or not my dad even took a javelina with one during some times in texas when he was in need of meat badly and short on cash. its a great little rifle to have around for whenever you need it. fits my needs perfectly.
    ive also shot an SU-16 made by keltec and liked the way it shot. i believe it was chambered in .223 and was also colapsible. a friend of mine kept it in his truck all the time and more than once kept the coyotes away from his livestock with. also i good little gun but i could never justify it for me as the .223 seemed a little overkill for my needs, with in most cases is simple small game.
    i understand that as we all live in very different area's the needs of a rifle will change from person to person, so this isnt a "what the best" kind of thing, just a whats your prefered survival rifle?
    lets here it!
    -cory
    "Go ye to the wilds, to its waters and woods. For it is good to live thus" -Stanley S. Hawbaker

The Su-16 seems like a pretty cool piece. But in all honesty, I don't have a "survival" rifle, so I, too, look forward to the responses to this thread. In a survival situation, I plan on snaring and fishing for small game, and larger game (if it is to be found) I have several different loads for my shotgun.

In a real TSHTF, I really dont think I want to advertise my position with a loud bang, yanno?
    It could be that the purpose of your life is merely to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by fishpole View Post
    currently ive taken to carrying a AR-7 in .22 cal. it is extremely light, the barrel, action, and magazine collapse into into the stock and is easy to conceal/carry.
    Interesting, I hadn't really ever looked at this gun before! Looked it up on wikipedia, sounds interesting. Apparently the newer Henry versions are of pretty good quality, too. Wikipedia did say something about the action not working with low velocity ammo, but that standard or high velocity ammo can warp the barrel. ???

If you think the SU-16 is neat, you should check this out:

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/su22.htm

Same thing, but in .22lr. I'd really like to know if this is a reliable gun, as it seems like it would be a really handy survival rifle if it is reliable.

I myself am presently favoring a lever-action .357 magnum. I like being able to use rounds that are interchangeable between my rifle and revolver, and I feel like .357 magnum has some pretty good performance for its size.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Blog Entries

Not necessarily a survival rifle but my favorite rifle is a Savage model 8 single shot made about 1950, 22" barrel and drives a tack at 100 yards. Picked it up at a local gun shop for 45 bucks refinished the stock and blued the barrel. I really like using short rounds they make no more sound then a pellet gun.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have a SEARS "Craftsman" Tack Hammer it drives tacks at arms length. Works better than most rifles for driving tacks. And if a tack needs to be driven at 100 yards, you just walk 100 yards and drive some tacks. She is a real tack driver.....

Hopeak, not THOSE kinda tacks!
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Mine is a Cooey single shot that has had a peep sight installed. A lot of us have similar rifles, inexpensive and easy to maintain, reliable as the day is long.
    I also carry a .308 win bolt for bigger animals.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm............

I find it interesting that Sgt. Draino hadn't been aware of the AR-7 since it started out back in the 50's as the AR-5; a bolt-action Survival Rifle for the military; more specifically, for SAC.(Strategic Air Command.) It chambered the .22 Hornet round. If anyone cares to do a search, we've done quite a bit on Survival guns, including the AR-7. I personally own the Henry model & my kid brother owns one made by Charter Arms. However, in any "long-term" survival situation, a gun is only good as long as the ammo holds out; then it's just an expensive club.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Here's some links on previous posts.

Last edited by Sarge47; 11-25-2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Done.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Blog Entries

CZ-452 in .22 Magnum w/Weaver Rail & 1.5-5X Leupold w/QR rings.

i would have to say my sks cheap and easy

what caliber is an SKS? .30/06 correct?
    "Go ye to the wilds, to its waters and woods. For it is good to live thus" -Stanley S. Hawbaker

oh and hopeak i gotta say that i absolutely love the .22 magnum, and yes i love it more than the newer .17 HMR, match, and fireball. i have a bolt action marlin in .22 magnum and it can work wonders on all manner of game. i have taken coyotes with it even, keep your shots to within 100 yrds and your good to go.
    i do not advocate in anyway doing this but i have heard several people mention that the gun is capable of taking deer sized game. ive heard conservation officers swear they hate this caliber because of its relative cheap and easy ammo/ rifle combo and it's ability to take game out of season. ive also heard the poachers say the same thing, but who knows those guy "say" alot of things.
    all and all its my favorite caliber for all around use, dont think the AR-7 comes in .22 mag though.
    -cory

Quote Originally Posted by fishpole View Post
    what caliber is an SKS? .30/06 correct?
    you can get them in different calibrations, corey. 7.62x39mm (.308 ish ) are very common.

.22 magnum should drop a deer, illegal as **** any place I've ever hunted, but in a true "I've gotta kill that thing to eat situation"....I don't discourage it.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Why is it that when people think survival firearm, that they see them self eating deer meat only forever. Think of it this way. I am going to drop you off in the wilderness, and you will be killed if you come out of said wilderness in less than 5 years. Everything is supplied but food. Hunt or die. there are more hawks, owls, robins, blue jays, snakes, gofers, woodchucks, rabbits, kitty cats, dogs, rats, squirrels, etc than deer or elk.

Banned
    Blog Entries

What I see most days, that is edible is ravens/crows, Bald Eagles, Golden Eagles, small birdies.

although i do agree with that, one elk or deer can save you alot of time an energy hunting smaller game. i see where you are coming from though. personally i would take a deer come winter when their are other things that need doing or when hunting becomes harder. thats just me, good point though.
    -cory

There have been a couple of these, "favorite survival rifle" threads. Here is another one:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...survival+rifle

Mine would be the Ruger 10/22.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have a Henry Golden boy 22 that is real handy Will take shorts, longs and long rifle, but my all time favorite is my Stevens over and under 410/.22 I just love this gun and you can put some slugs and buckshot and bird shot through the 410 and again most .22 shorts and long rifle. in the .22.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

you sure that golden boy will take all the .22 rounds? i heard ya cant switch shorts longs and mag's around in the same gun. just what i heard though.golden boy is lever gun right?