Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: your favorite survival rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
    Had to mention the one he has is a [B].22 Hornet
    I'm not too familiar with the .22 Hornet round. I seem to recall that it's more powerful than .22lr, but not as powerful as .22wmr?

How's the price-per-round compair? .22lr is super cheap, .22wmr is kinda expensive. What about .22 Hornet?

How about availability? Is it an easy round to find?

Can a .22 Hornet carbine also fire .22lr?

What is the attraction of .22 Hornet?
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
    I'm not too familiar with the .22 Hornet round. I seem to recall that it's more powerful than .22lr, but not as powerful as .22wmr?

How's the price-per-round compair? .22lr is super cheap, .22wmr is kinda expensive. What about .22 Hornet?

How about availability? Is it an easy round to find?

Can a .22 Hornet carbine also fire .22lr?

What is the attraction of .22 Hornet?
    The .22lr kicks out a 40 gr. bullet at about 1200 fps.

The .22 wmr kicks it's 40 gr. bullet out at about 2000 fps.

The .22 Hornet kick's out a 45 gr. bullet at about 2600 fps. Hornady loads them to 3100 fps with a 35 gr. v-max bullet. Winchester also has a hi-v load.

Remington 45 gr. hollow point's are about $45.00 per 50 rd. box here in Alaska. But.......They are reloadable. I've even loaded them with black powder.
    Last edited by klkak; 12-27-2008 at 02:16 AM.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Minersville, PA

My favorite survival gun would probably be a crosman 1377c air pistol. Its light, self sufficient, and it can take quite a beating. Plus you can modify it to be more accurate and add some type of sighting system. Another added bonus is that the ammunition for it is cheap, light (500 .177 pellets is about 10 ounces) and takes up very little space.

I would personally add a steel breech to it for stability, and put a .22 caliber barrel on it for added energy retention. But stay away from power modifications because it could cause the pin in the striking hammer to snap off.

Its not a rifle, but it has enough accuracy to compete with .22LRs at up to 40 yards. Also it is very quiet.

I actually just purchased a .22 Magnum yesterday, a Marlin 925M. Its a very nice peice and it is very capable of shooting 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. I was shivering so much today I simply couldn't group at all. Winter is hitting us pretty good, and acting very weird at that. It was 45- 50 at 2 pm and about 25 at 4pm.

In response to Sgtdraino's post (other than what klkak already covered), a rifle chambered for a .22 hornet round cannot fire a .22 long rifle or any other rimfire cartridge for that matter. It has a necked down cartridge, kind of like the 17HMR.

The .22 hornet round is a bit hard to find around here, even cabelas does not carry them in this area. I would be interested in buying a .22 hornet though, the Ruger 77/22s are very nice.

My experience with the cartridge is very limited, I have seen a rifle chambered for .22 hornet, I have seen a .22 hornet cartridge, but only 1 person I know actually has one.... and he is a bit of a BS'er. I would imagine that they are more accurate than a .22 magnum, but less accurate than a .223. If it were such a good round you would see more of them.
    Last edited by Mike00006; 12-28-2008 at 03:02 AM.

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

For a survival rifle, I would stay away from air rifles. Yes it can shoot squirrels and rabbits, but try to kill a deer at 100 yards with a bb gun. Not gonna happen. A .22lr would have trouble, but a .243 would be good. Cheap ammo and large animal capabilities. I would take the .22lr because of its versitility. BUT, to each his own.

Blog Entries

Cool The .22 Hornet round.

As previously mentioned elsewhere in this forum, before the AR-7 came along, there was the AR-5; it was issued to the SAC (Strategic Air Command) as a Survival rifle. It was bolt-action, as opposed to semi-auto, and was calibered to the .22 Hornet.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Minersville, PA

I agree with you completely. My choice would easily go to a .22 long rifle or .22 magnum bolt action if it was available at the time and I did not have any type of weight limit for my kit. But that doesn't mean it is my favorite.

To take a .22 long rifle and try and bag a deer at 100 yards with it is really stretching it, but with a .22 mag it would be very possible. Hollowpoints or a homemade partition would be nice if you have the accuracy.

A few years ago, I saw a survival rifle somewhere; It would shoot both .22 LR and .410. The other option was .243 or 22 hornet (cant remember which) with the 410. Anyone know who made it? I think I might buy one if I can find it. There was also a handy ammo storage compartment in the stock, might I add.
    Last edited by Mike00006; 12-28-2008 at 03:57 AM.

Mike00006 - check out post 249 of this thread. M6 Scout Rifle - a bit togher to find nowadays (at least at the price most want to pay).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Minersville, PA

I ruled that out because they do not make them anymore. Maybe its just my memory but I believe that it was up for sale in a magazine , maybe a Penna. game comission handbook or somewhere on the net. But is there any chance that a copy of that rifle was made by another company?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike00006 View Post
    I ruled that out because they do not make them anymore. Maybe its just my memory but I believe that it was up for sale in a magazine , maybe a Penna. game comission handbook or somewhere on the net. But is there any chance that a copy of that rifle was made by another company?
    Maybe you're thinking of the Savage 24?
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike00006 View Post
    In response to Sgtdraino's post (other than what klkak already covered), a rifle chambered for a .22 hornet round cannot fire a .22 long rifle or any other rimfire cartridge for that matter. It has a necked down cartridge, kind of like the 17HMR.

The .22 hornet round is a bit hard to find around here, even cabelas does not carry them in this area. I would be interested in buying a .22 hornet though, the Ruger 77/22s are very nice.

My experience with the cartridge is very limited, I have seen a rifle chambered for .22 hornet, I have seen a .22 hornet cartridge, but only 1 person I know actually has one.... and he is a bit of a BS'er. I would imagine that they are more accurate than a .22 magnum, but less accurate than a .223. If it were such a good round you would see more of them.
    I have two 22 hornet rifles. My Ruger 77/22 is every bit as accurate as a similarly set up .223. The .223 has the advantage of higher velocity, there for longer range. You don't see allot of them because to many people are obsessed by high velocity. Not because it's not as good a round as the .223.

The next time I get to go to the range I'll fire a couple of groups from both the 77/22 hornet and the M-6 scout .22 hornet and post pictures of the targets.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

After reading the good reveiws here for the Ruger 10/22,I have decided to buy one.I dont currently have a 22 and want a semi-auto that doesnt hang up.The camo combo with 25 round clip is the one for me.Probably be my next purchase real soon for the small game season fixin to open up.My old Marlin was not dependable and might as well have been a bolt action.I have a T/C encore in 7mag and thought of getting a 22 barrel for it but it would still be a single shot which I dont mind for deer and hogs but need a quick shooter for those running squirrels.And no doubt a cheap round and compact for any survival situations that might arise.

Stairman - Shooters on University Blvd. frequently has sales and offers the Ruger 10/22 at a pretty good price. Of course there is alway Wal Mart.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have a tendency to like the magnum over the long rifle just because if I find a little larger game such as a deer I want to be able to take it down without having to track it for miles and get far off course or lost.

Blog Entries

Angry Uh-uh!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Stairman - Shooters on University Blvd. frequently has sales and offers the Ruger 10/22 at a pretty good price. Of course there is alway Wal Mart.
    Most Wal-Marts, including ours, has quit selling fire-arms; leaving us to the mercy of the higher-priced store.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Yep,ours stopped selling them several years ago
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Most Wal-Marts, including ours, has quit selling fire-arms; leaving us to the mercy of the higher-priced store.
    They still sell em here in Hooterville....I mean Jacksonville.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have been to a few in different cities and they didn't have any firearms anymore just bows.

Our Wall mart sell firearms. As for a survival gun I have a couple of adapters that allow the .22 to fired in a larger caliber gun. I have had the adopters so long I don't rmemeber where I got them.

The adapter are made to look and function like the host shell but the hole in the rear had been machined to accept a .22 shell.

#1 is for a .22 hornet.
    #2 is for a ,22-250
    #3 is for a .223

Once you fire the Combo shell yo remove the host casing, then push out the fired .22 shell with a nail, stick, whatever.

The machined hole for the .22 is offset so that the centerfire firing pin will strike the rim of the .22 rimfire.

They are reasonably accurate out to 25 yards.

Favorite??

Savage model 24 O/U .22 over a 20 guage
    or
    Remington Nylon 66 .22 almost indestructable

An O/U .223 over a 20 guage with one of the .22 adaptor cartridges. I could shoot all the .22 from CB caps to HV HPs, all the .223's and 20 guage shot and slugs. That would cover about anything in the lower 48
    Last edited by Beans; 12-30-2008 at 01:30 AM.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Mike00006, here is a link that might hook you up with the M6 Scout rifle
    http://www.gunshopfinder.com/springfield/M69201.asp

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the Savage 24 O/U (22LR/20ga). This combo makes a well rounded hunting system.

Link: http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...ch_notes.htm/1
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com