Thread: Need advice about gun smithing schools.

Default Need advice about gun smithing schools.

I'm thinking of getting some education in gun smithing. My area has 5 gun stores and only 1 of them has an in-house gun smith employed. I have been looking for a way to make a little side money to supplement my income besides my full time job. I love shooting and working on my own guns so I thought this might be something I would enjoy and make some extra money to boot. Most of the people here drive at least an hour for their gun smithing needs. If I could get just a fraction of those people I think I could make some good money.

On the down side there are no schools in my area that offer a gun smithing course, so I'll have to go with an online school. My question is, is anyone here familiar with one of these schools? I'm not sure which one would be the best. I've looked at Penn Foster but I've read some internet reviews that weren't that great about them, although I realize the internet reviews may not be the most truthful source of info. Anyone know of or had experience with a good online gun smithing program? Thanks for any help you can give.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

I don't know how good an on-line course would be. Here's a link where you might be able to find something closer to home. http://www.technical-schools-guide.c...g-schools.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

thanks crash,
    Clarksville is the closest but its still 2 1/2 hrs drive. I'm not sure what to do, it is such a hands on thing I don't know if any online school would be anything but a scam. Thanks for helping, I'm going to have to do some more research.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Banned
    Blog Entries

How do you learn to operate a lathe or a milling machine online.....? I should think one could set-up a shop with just very basic machinery and tool age for about $30,000.- and maybe $600.- for wood working tools, and $800.- for the most basic screws, nuts, sights, gages, instruments. I have no idea what E&O insurance would run. And there is liability insurance if someone falls on your business part of your home. And if other people guns got stolen, or fire damaged. Then there is the guy who wants to pay you for services with bad check.
    I am trying to think of all the rich gunsmiths I know. I do know one who married a doctor.

You have got to be the most upbeat guy I know, Hope. I'd be pretty gloomy if it weren't for you. You sure do keep me smilin'!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Starving Artist

How 'bout talking to the one gunsmith in your area? See about taking a course, then getting him to hire you one for grunt work while you learn the trade.
    Dennis K.
    Not all who wander are lost.
    www.AnthemBrass.com

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    How do you learn to operate a lathe or a milling machine online.....? I should think one could set-up a shop with just very basic machinery and tool age for about $30,000.- and maybe $600.- for wood working tools, and $800.- for the most basic screws, nuts, sights, gages, instruments. I have no idea what E&O insurance would run. And there is liability insurance if someone falls on your business part of your home. And if other people guns got stolen, or fire damaged. Then there is the guy who wants to pay you for services with bad check.
    I am trying to think of all the rich gunsmiths I know. I do know one who married a doctor.
    My family owns a very large shop and I have access a large number of tools that I think I would need. What I need is the knowledge to use the tools and repair the guns. I would ask my dad to teach me to use the tools but to be frank he's an a
    $$hole ( and very well known as an *** in the community so it's not just some I'm mad at my dad thing) and is too busy with his money grubbing girlfriend who is 5 years older than me. I work for the *** as of right now. I have another full time job lined up, but I think a good part time gunsmith could make some decent money in my area. I know the owner of a tool and die shop who is going to teach me about the machining aspect of gunsmithing in exchange for some free labor. I need some training in gunsmithing and the closest physical school that teaches this is 2 1/2 hrs drive away. That's why I'm looking into the online school thing. I know a gunsmith who has agreed to help me all he can because he has started a business in another line of work and only works on his own guns now. I need a piece of paper to say I'm qualified, just to show the people who care about such things. I am self taught in many areas of my knowledge and I see no reason why I couldn't learn the finer aspects on my own or with local help. As far as the insurance goes that's just another factor of doing business. I've checked on this and I can insure part of my home as a business with no problem, I've just got to pay the premium. Also, my future wife's parents are both lawyers so I can drag the bad check guy into court pretty cheaply. I think it's worth a shot. A guy who never tries sure doesn't make much of himself. I plan on trying, if I fail I fail. At least I will have more knowledge than I have now and that's never a bad thing.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Good on you Adept.
    At least you'll give it a go.
    Heck with an attitude like that you could nearly pass for an Aussie. LOL
    When you are old and decrepid and you look back on your life you will not regret giving things a go. If they don't work...SO WHAT.....you tried. Then get to the next thing and try it.
    Hat's off to you man.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there

Banned
    Blog Entries

Go for it..... Report back how it is going. If I can help long distance, just PM me. I served an 8,000 hour apprenticeship at Farrel Corp. 1966' to 1969' as a Journeyman Tool and Die Maker/Machinist.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 11-25-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Well Adept, I've been accused of being an a**hole a time or two myself and I wear that distinction with...well never mind. I've been reading this thread since you started it and I'm thinking : I have no idea what the money would be like, but it sounds like something you'd really enjoy trying out, can't put a price on that.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Starving Artist

If you have a guy that can (and will) show you the tools and the tricks, then an online course will give you some good starting knowledge. Get the book knowledge first. The, you can ask some informed questions in the shop.
    Penn Foster looks reasonable.
    Dennis K.
    Not all who wander are lost.
    www.AnthemBrass.com

You might consider working as an apprentice for a local gunsmith. It might even be worth your time if you did for free. Your work in exchange for an education. Find one that is older. He'll be less worried about you becoming a competitor, has much more experience and will probably be more likely to want to help you so the tradition can be carried on. Just a thought.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks to all of you , I'm going to give it my best. I really feel like I could make this work, but only time will tell. I checked out the American gun smithing institute but my G.I. Bill won't pay for them for some reason. I guess the GOV doesn't think they are worth while, but they have the most in depth courses of anyone I have checked out. I spent a couple hours today talking to them and I must say they are very polite, nice people and seem to have a very strong passion for what they do. Their total package with everything included books, tools and DVDs is $6997 or 285 per month and I wouldn't receive a diploma or certificate, but WOW the course material is VERY good. Penn Foster is $1098 for their program but no where near as good as AGI, but with them I would get 50% of an associates degree. Looks like I'm doing Penn Foster and the money I will have left over from the G.I. bill will goto the AGI courses. I'll keep y'all updated on the progress, and let me say thanks again for all the good advice.

-Robert A. Heinlein