Thread: Thread Subject vs. Work = Number of posts

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Thread Subject vs. Work = Number of posts

I am working on a theory that if the subject of a thread involves no work, or little work, as in expenditure of energy, said thread will have hundreds of posts.

This is contrasted with threads that could lead to physical labor get only ten or twenty posts.

Was going to respond, but seemed like too much work trying to figure it out.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

the key is marketing if you come up with a catchy thread title you get allot of veiws the more veiws the more responses, but yes last week i posted a thread on watching the edge and then at each survival challenge to write down two ways you would handle it ie "that doesn't feel north charles" how would you find north w/o a compass and so on but lets take my other thread what are you currently reading it is east to write "this thread" and then off you go, so your hypothesis is correct my friend and bunch of lazy survivalists here
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Banned
    Blog Entries

If the thread is about buying something like Knife, Firearm, Pack....or if people can TALK about the stuff they own now, whoopee lets talk about it. One would think the key to wilderness survival is shop, shop, shop, buy, buy, buy more survival stuff.

One quick look at Red Lakes thread, "Winter Travel" shows what looks like work, and slight discomfort of outdoor weather. Gee go outdoors and have a wilderness experience, or go shopping in a nice warm building, for a thingie that is a surrogate experience.

Ask yourself this question: is your stuff worn out, and covered with patching, or nice and new looking. "The outdoors is outdoors".....

Of course, there is the other side of that coin. Some posts actually do involve knowledge of outdoor skills and a lot of folks on here don't have those skills. They came here to learn. So you'll have a lot less posts. Everyone has shopping experience so now we're talking about something they know about. Hence, more posts.

Lazy? Maybe. But compared to what or who though? My dog is pretty lazy but she can outrun me. If something is after us, she'll outrun me and survive. Isn't that really all that matters?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

YEP.....And she does not need a bright yellow REI thingie to do it either.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 11-30-2008 at 10:51 AM.

True. But she always bugs me when she gets hungry. I'm the guy with the REI knife.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

In defense of buying things... I'm working on making three kits for friends. They are all different based on the expected usage of the individual. One will never see the light of day but, he wants it for his car. I doubt he will move far from his car. The other two will have more opportunity for extended survival. So, the gear will be a little different. Of these two, one will practice the skills randomly and the other will not.

I enjoy making the kits and the instruction reinforces my knowledge. I like to try different products. My kits are in constant evaluation. If there is a better way, why not try it?

Banned
    Blog Entries

rebel, I love new stuff and bright yellow thingies, and if I could shop with few people about that would be wonderful. I am not dumping on the buying of stuff. I am dumping on people "Daydreaming" about going for a walk vs. "Going" for a walk. I am dumping on people confusing the experience of shopping for outdoor gear, with the experience of "USING" the outdoor gear.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    rebel, I love new stuff and bright yellow thingies, and if I could shop with few people about that would be wonderful. I am not dumping on the buying of stuff. I am dumping on people "Daydreaming" about going for a walk vs. "Going" for a walk. I am dumping on people confusing the experience of shopping for outdoor gear, with the experience of "USING" the outdoor gear.
    Gotcha.

I know I can be a Delta Alpha. I've got the equipment to prove it but, that's another thread.
    Last edited by rebel; 11-30-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Blog Entries

How freak'n depressing.

Ya know, I use to spend all my time in the woods. If I was not hunting deer, hog, turkey, rabbits, fishing for trout, or just walking to a point, to sit down and make a cup of tea.

I would be outside throwing my hawk, knives, or sks bayonets or shooting my bow. If not that, I'd be building bows, arrows, tanning hides, knapping and napping, just outside doing anything.

But since the kids arrived, I have no time. How can I go hunting when my son has basketball or soccer practice on Sat. afternoon. When I work 10 to 12 hrs a day, Sat. is the family day and Sunday gets lost catching up.

So, I come here and discuss adventures and crafts that I started when I was 10 years old and continued till I basically stopped in 2004. I will knap a few tools, make a bow or arrows now and then, but that's it.

If I can get out, one morning and have a half day, I would be in heaven. I have planned two treks since Sept., and the partipants have backed out. Unfortunately, my wife has put her foot down about me venturing off by myself. I understand, just don't like it.

So, here I sit. I have another 2 years, to sit. When the kids turn 8, it's woods time. Now I do go into the woods now, but it's not the same, as it's dirt roads, or parks that ya can't do diddly squat in.

2 more years, and it's trekking time. At 8, if they don't want to go, fine. They are old enough, I'm gone.

To make me feel a bit better, an old hunting buddy who has far passed retirement told me that there was a time, yes a time in his life, that he had to back out of the woods for more than a couple years for the kids. But after they turned 8, it was back to the woods baby.
    Last edited by FVR; 12-01-2008 at 10:19 PM.

A while back we had a thread about "real men" or something like that. Frank, what you are doing to raise those foster kids is, in my book, work of a real man. You are unselfishly (well maybe a little) putting off things that you love to do to raise em. Maybe they will share your passion, maybe they won't. They most assuradly will be better off for having been raised by you. Don't know if you are still raising foster kids with your own, but you get my point.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 12-02-2008 at 11:30 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

They're not fosters anymore, we adopted them.

Thanks, that means alot.

you da man frankie, i am fortunate that i can go to the bush when i like wish i was georgia we would do the ranger together
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    They're not fosters anymore, we adopted them.

Thanks, that means alot.
    God Bless You.

Sarge - Move to General Chat
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel