Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The wolf at the door

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post
    Do you even read the sources you mention?

What I am talking about is, your NPS source says there has been 5 people killed by bears in the Park, and then if you read all of your Wikipedia reports, they have 7 different people reported as killed in the Park.

The point is you don't know what your talking about, and your argument is drying up because you only have web sites to back up your ASSumptions.
    Ok this is my “official” last point on this ridiculous subject.

Fist you state that the wikipedai isn’t a reliable source, then you say that because the NPS doesn’t match the wikipedia (unreliable) source then it can’t be accurate. Not a very logical conclusion there. Furthermore if you read the NPS article, there are 5 confirmed, 1 possible, and 1 just outside the park. Doing simple math it’s easy to understand how the wikepedia got the 7 total (5+1+1=7) It’s not that complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post
    I am not talking about developing an opinion based on "secondary" research, and with a sense of superiority and a subjective opinion, as your doing.

I am talking about experiencing the natural world as a participant...

Why don't you come do some primary/field research on Grizzlies in Yellowstone Park (were firearms are illegal) and then tell me that humans are on top of the food chain.

Sorry, I don't need internet sources (documentation) to back me up, I've done the field work.
    If you have done the field work then what is your scientific findings that show the number of fatalities by bears differ then the findings done buy by the report by Kerry A. Gunther Bear Management Office Wildlife Biologist? Seriously, what is the real total if you know better?

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    Who is dbldrool any way? Whats his background or experience?
    Well I’m not a Biologist, which is why I have to rely on papers done by researchers and posted on the Internet for my information.

But my experience, is basic outdoor recreation, hunting, fishing, backpacking, canoeing, rock climbing, orienteering, adventure racing, etc. My survival experience kicked off when I was a kid and read Tom Browns books. Have made debris huts, made fire with a bow drill, have done a bit of flint knapping (was never very good at that) made snares, figure 4 traps, made primitive bows etc. I have basic skills that I’m decent at, but I’m pretty weak at plaint identification and other things I’m not a survival expert, never pretended to be.

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    Face something like this ol'boy with nothing in your hands but sweat and tell him to back off cause you are higher up the food chain then him. See if he believes you.
    Chances are it would be a bluff charge, and as long as I move off slowly nothing will happen. If I turn and run it might trigger him to now see me as pray and with nothing to protect myself I would be screwed. I have said many times that without weapons we don’t have much chance. But Humans do have weapons very good ones at that.
    Last edited by dbldrew; 11-22-2008 at 11:21 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

Before posting checklist

Ever notice how some people try to sound like they know what they are talking about before they take their foot out of their mouth and engage their brain?

For this I created a check list.

1. Take foot out of mouth.

2. Engage your brain.

3. Make sure you know what you are talking about. If you don't have at least some expertise on the subject stop here.

If you have some knowledge of the topic continue.

4. Form a complete sentence in your head before typing it.

5. Read the sentence to see if it makes sense.

6. Run the spell check feature.

7. Read it again to make sure it still makes sense.

8. Post the comment.

9. Read it again and use the edit feature if it needs correcting
    If you add something like (IMHO) to your post then most folks will leave you alone cause they know its only an opinion. If you don't then folks think you are trying to state facts. And facts have to be backed up by hard data. Mixing facts and opinions, only lead to a thread with a bad case of diarrhea posts.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Bears?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Crash you need serious help!

Thank you. Thank you very much.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm............

Started out talking about a cool black wolf & wound up arguing about Griz & who's on top of the food chain. Wow! I vote for Griz! Here in Illinois we only have coyotes to worry about, no Bears or Wolves that I'm aware of. Hopeak, I find your encounter with the Black Wolk facinating; it was probably drawn to you because you're a member of the Wolf-Pack! Now let's just hope you don't open the door & find a large Griz standing there saying: "About this food chain crap!"
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

When a bear is eating salmon. The bear is one step higher on the food chain then the salmon. If the bear is eating berries then the bear is one step higher on the food chain then the berries. If a bear is eating a human then it is one step higher on the food chain then the human.

The same applies to humans.

If a human is eating salmon he is one step higher on the food chain then the salmon. If the human is eating berries then the human is one step higher on the food chain then the berries. If the human is eating a bear then the human is one step higher on the food chain then the bear.

OMG! am I glad that twinkie's don't have a mouth.

Blog Entries

Bear 1 to Bear 2, You wanna go down to the river for a bite to eat? I hear the anglers are in there thick today.

Bear 2, No thanks, I've had to much junk-food this week.

Bear 1 ambles off toward the river with thoughts of twinkie stuffed anglers for dinner.

LMAO, that's good stuff klkak.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

OMG! am I glad that twinkie's don't have a mouth.[/QUOTE]
    well friend you are new here so i will forgive you for that comment but let me correct you we do have a resident twinkie here with a really big mouth eh rick?
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

As the official Twinkie spokesman (Ahem. Twinkies should always be capitalized. It's a proper noun and, after all, they deserve the respect!) and official Minister of Science I can hereby proclaim Twinkies (notice the capital T? Hmm?) at the top of the food chain. Eat enough of them and they will kill you. Case closed. Thank you for stopping by tonight. Your attendance is always appreciated.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

duelly noted just rick
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    As the official Twinkie spokesman (Ahem. Twinkies should always be capitalized. It's a proper noun and, after all, they deserve the respect!) and official Minister of Science I can hereby proclaim Twinkies (notice the capital T? Hmm?) at the top of the food chain. Eat enough of them and they will kill you. Case closed. Thank you for stopping by tonight. Your attendance is always appreciated.
    Thats a case of the eatee and not the eater getting that last laugh,eh Rick?
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I should be so lucky if a bear ever eats me. I hope they have really really bad indigestion. Or, at least gas.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.