Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The wolf at the door

It was a question to either Hopeak and /or WE69. The idea perked my interest because I'm unfamiliar with it. I was asking for a little more information. I'll probably have some questions like History, location, relevance to stage in life. If you don't want to talk about it that's cool too.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I would never try to give you advice about a wolf, you know more about them than I ever will. Rabies gettin' bad all over and that's the big thing but I would have enjoyed watching from a nice safe position. Small game especially skunks are bad around here and I have to keep a close eye on the dog since he is dumber than a sled track.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    I have to keep a close eye on the dog since he is dumber than a sled track.
    ....Remember when we were all trying to do Cootisms? Man, ya can't touch that, dumber than a sled track, you either have the gift or not, and Pops definitely has that. I have to tell someone that today. It'll probably be the same person I call a starstruck bushwhacker, I'm still using that. This place has prose I tell ya
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    It was a question to either Hopeak and /or WE69. The idea perked my interest because I'm unfamiliar with it. I was asking for a little more information. I'll probably have some questions like History, location, relevance to stage in life. If you don't want to talk about it that's cool too.
    It is in a thread about sensory awareness about two weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    It is in a thread about sensory awareness about two weeks ago.
    I just finished reading the thread. Thanks and that answered my questions.

He may have been a scout. Looking around and will be back with freinds. You should
    have shot him! If he is tring to get your turkeys...........you have the right to shoot
    first then go ask him what he's doing.
    The maximum effective range of a excuse is.......
    -----------0-----------METERS----------------

Years ago in the we hours of the morning, I was setting up for a deer hunt. I had walked in some distance, set up my blind and was waiting for the sunrise, in the full moon that crested a knoll I saw a wolf sitting there examining the same game trail that I was set up for. He was huge, silvery with black frosting on the tip of his fur and a thick "mane". The older men in this camp had a shoot all wolves rule and I was supposed to shoot one if I saw one, in this case I couldn't for personal reasons even I had the wolf bracketed and silhouetted. Later I got a deer and I never told anyone about my meeting with this wolf.
    Jump ahead 1 month to the next full moon:
    6am walking out to my truck getting ready to go to work,
    on the opposite side of the road I saw from the corner of my eye a local german shepard known as Baron, was surprised that he was out so early on such a cold windy morn; then it hit me Baron was given to a distant relative of his owners to work on their farm so I turned to take a closer look.
    That's when I realized that this animal was very much like the wolf I had seen that morning a month ago. We stared at each other for a bit, and the need to go to work overcame me, I started the truck, backed out of the yard and saw the wolf slowly walk away to the east;
    now comes the eerie part, I watched him walk off and something was not quite right so I backed up the truck and came 90deg to the trail...
    There was none.... in a foot of snow not a paw print, drag mark; I got out of the truck walked over and verified for my one self...nada, zip, zilch, nothing.
    Later while talking to my sister I told her of this and she said the 2nd "wolf" I saw was a "Spirit Wolf" sent to give me a message apart from that of thanking for not shooting the first wolf I had seen the month before.
    These 2 events were hundreds of miles apart.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I just finished reading the thread. Thanks and that answered my questions.
    There is more to that event, but it is way over the top, of graspable.

Base your decision based on what happens in nature, if another predator enters your territory then the simple solution is to defend your territory, drive him off and if that doesn’t work then show him why Humans are on the top of the food chain. Problem solved…

Humans on the top of the food chain, wow what a load.
    Wolf stays in "nature" all his life see how long you'd last.

We are all in nature so to speak. It's just that some of our huts and shelters have evolved just a bit.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

tsitenha- i a way we are top of the food chain we do not bring a level playing field though when we go out into his turf we bring our technologies with us that makes us superior.
    dbldrew- if we are the top of the food chain then why do we fear them so much? sure you feel safe in your home but this forum is full of evidence ofpeople fearing bears and puma and wolves whyif we are so superior? because when we go out into the bush we have only our guns what happens when we do not have those? then who is superior?
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Hope, just curious, did you talk to him? I would probably have said a word or two. But that's just me. Probably would have talked to him like another human.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hope, you might be interested in this article:

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF2/256.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hope, just curious, did you talk to him? I would probably have said a word or two. But that's just me. Probably would have talked to him like another human.
    Nope.......no conversation, Not this time.

I talk to all many of critters that wander around the house and when I'm in the woods. Sometimes they are polite enough to talk back. Sometimes they just look at me funny (same way most people do).

ya me too rick would have said helo brother what do you have to teach me today

Quote Originally Posted by tsitenha View Post
    Humans on the top of the food chain, wow what a load.
    Wolf stays in "nature" all his life see how long you'd last.

Absolutely we are on top of the food chain, if its one thing Humans are good at is killing. Just out of curiosity what animal would you put above Humans? I bet what ever it is you could probably find it in a zoo, or on the edge of extinction. Are Humans territories shrinking, being pushed back by all of the other predators that are higher up then us on the food chain? Nope we are the ones forcing them back.

As impressive a lion or tiger physical prowess is as a predator, that is dwarfed by our brains. The weapons we can make cancel out our physical inferiority, for god sakes we have weapons that could wipe out the whole world, we are so far above any other creature on the food chain it’s scary, very scary.

Here is a simple question, could wolves hunt humans to extinction? No. But could Humans hunt wolves to extinction? Easily (almost happened) Now replace the wolves with any other predator you can think of and the answer will always come out the same. The only reason we don’t hunt a specific creature to extinction is because of Humans desire not to, not because we cant.

Exactly. I've even been known to sit down and spend time with them. Might talk, might not. Just sit there and enjoy their presence. Did that with a deer one time. By the time I saw her she was on alert. Probably heard and/or smelled me coming. I just slowly sat down and didn't say anything. She finally decided I wasn't a threat and went back to nibbling grass. I sat like that for maybe 10 minutes before she decided to move on. Made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by dbldrew View Post
    Absolutely we are on top of the food chain, if its one thing Humans are good at is killing. Just out of curiosity what animal would you put above Humans? I bet what ever it is you could probably find it in a zoo, or on the edge of extinction. Are Humans territories shrinking, being pushed back by all of the other predators that are higher up then us on the food chain? Nope we are the ones forcing them back.

As impressive a lion or tiger physical prowess is as a predator, that is dwarfed by our brains. The weapons we can make cancel out our physical inferiority, for god sakes we have weapons that could wipe out the whole world, we are so far above any other creature on the food chain it’s scary, very scary.

Here is a simple question, could wolves hunt humans to extinction? No. But could Humans hunt wolves to extinction? Easily (almost happened) Now replace the wolves with any other predator you can think of and the answer will always come out the same. The only reason we don’t hunt a specific creature to extinction is because of Humans desire not to, not because we cant.
    did you read my post to the two fo you? read and respond please